Questions for Beretta CX4 owners

This is a discussion on Questions for Beretta CX4 owners within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok, I put one down on layaway yesterday, but I haven't done too much homework on them, so I'm asking now so I can have ...

Thread: Questions for Beretta CX4 owners

Ok, I put one down on layaway yesterday, but I haven't done too much homework on them, so I'm asking now so I can have an idea of what to expect when I do pick it up.

1. Ammo selection (9mm). Have you found any ammo that didn't feed well or that you wouldn't feel comfortable using for either plinking or home defense? How do hollowpoints feed in it and also is there any reason for using HP or FMJ in it? I intend to use this as both a plinker and for home defense. The size of the carbine would make it make a better choice if for any reason I have to move through the house than my 20" barrelled Mossberg 590.

2. Magazine selection. Actual Beretta 20 rounders seem extremely expensive at around $50 apiece, and the PX4 17 rounders aren't much cheaper than that I've seen. Has anyone had any luck using aftermarket magazines? Pro-Mag. Mec-Gar,etc...
    Did it feed reliably, works with both HP and FMJ, etc?

3. Flashlight and mount recommendations are also welcome. That side mount looks rather flimsy in pictures (haven't seen one irl, so I have no way of knowing if they are or not.)

Thanks guys and gals!
    Last edited by Katana; February 26th, 2010 at 04:30 PM. Reason: corrected grammar
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

I have the 45 acp model so I can't comment on feeding 9mm. All the 45 acp I've fed it has fed with no problem.

The Beretta mags have fed flawless. The after market mags I tried were nothing but problems.

I have a small 60 lumen flashlight on the rail that extends under the barrel and a red dot on the top picatinny rail that sits low enough to co-witness with the iron sights. I've never had anything fall off or come loose (about 500 rounds through it).
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    I have a CX4 set up to match my 92F. I have had no problems with the ammo I use (115 gr. FMJ and 115 gr HP). The hollow points feed just as well as the the FMJ. It is a fine little carbine for defensive use. I did a presentation on the CX4 at FLETC (Federal Law Enforcement Training Center) in GA and one of their instructors said he might look into getting some for the Firearms Training Division. There was an office shooting in the mid-west a few months ago and some of the responding officers were shown carrying CX4s.
    As for the magazines, stay with the Beretta or MDI mags. Beretta does not recommend use of any other mags. As for the mounts, they are very sturdy. They only mount I might question is the retractable mount under the barrel, all the side and top mounts are good to go.

EAJ
    The Mec-Gar 18 and 20 round magazines are very reliable and cost effective compared with OE Beretta magazines. I use a Streamlight TLR-2 Laser/Light on mine mounted on the forward pull out rail. Holds zero just fine for HD use. No issues with FMJ or JHP ammunition.

I have the 9mm as a compantion for the 92FS like some others have stated. I've had mine for 18 months now and never a single hick-up with feeding anything I send through it.....even the russian stuff. I like the solid feel and wonderful accuracy for a carbine BTW
    2A is not negotiable

Thanks for the input. My plan is to try 1 of the mec-gar mags and see how it works, and for target/training to use American Eagle 124 grain ammo.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    mec-gar mags should do just fine, but I would avoid the promags entirely. I still have three 30 round promags stuck in a drawer somewhere that aren't even worth making paper weights from. I just stick to the 15 round 92 mags in mine... I prefer the flush fit.

surv

Ok, with the Beretta 92 mags. I understand there's a conversion necessary, is that correct? If so, how much does it cost, and is it something I can do with my limited gunsmithing skill, or should that be handled by a gunsmith?

Μολών λαβέ!

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I haven't had need to do the change, but from what I've followed on the beretta forum it sounds easy. It's just a matter of buying the mag well insert for the style of magazine you use, removing the existing parts, and popping the new one into the grip. They make several variants of the 9mm, as you know.

surv

Outside of caliber differences, there are several different models of the CX4. One takes the PX4 mags, one takes the 92/96 mags, and I think one takes the Cougar mags.

The conversion kit allows you to switch from PX4 to 92/96, or vice versa, depending on which variant you have.

I've got a 96 based variant (.40 S&W). I've shot maybe 1000 rounds through it, all sorts of different types/brands, and never had a single issue with the factory mags. I have one Pro-Mag 20 rounder. That thing won't feed ANYTHING worth a fart in the wind.

Links