I'm pretty excited - Page 2

I'm pretty excited

This is a discussion on I'm pretty excited within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by TSKnight Good choice on the shotgun. I use Federal RR 00 buck in my HD shotgun and have been very satisfied with ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by TSKnight View Post
    Good choice on the shotgun.
    I use Federal RR 00 buck in my HD shotgun and have been very satisfied with it. It holds a very tight pattern and seems to preform as intended. The only reason I would have for using standard or high velocity 00 would be for hunting or for longer range than what you would normally encounter in most HD situations.

The idea of "buck & ball" loading goes back at least as far as the Civil War and most likely before that. I have a reference for military contractors who provided the Union Army with paper cartridges that lists two "buck & ball" loads. These are listed as intended for use by cavalry.
    The explanation of the load was that the larger ball is intended to force the smaller balls to separate and spread quickly to inflict collateral damage surrounding the intended target.

A quick scan of local violent incidentds over the past 10 years shows NO calvary attacks, so I think I will stick with what I have (unless my testing changes my mind, always possible). Thanks for the info.
    I am the Walrus...Goo Goo Goo Joob

“Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.” –Benjamin Franklin

An 870 is an excellent weapon. You will be well armed for anything in a HD situation with that gun. Congrats.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by walrusjax View Post
    At the store, they showed me a home defense shotgun shell (had a minuteman on the box) that has one very large pellet and a number of smaller ones. Anybody know what I'm talking about and what do you think of them?? I've always been VERY wary of "gimicky" ammo (like glazers, etc) but I don't know about this one. I didn't buy them as I know 00 is tried and true, but I did think I might search around and see what info I could find on them. After reading this tonight, I think I'm going to stick with the Federal low recoil 00.
    Trust your instincts... stick with the non-gimmicky stuff. When you do get around to checking her out, satisfy yourself with what your buckshot pattern spread is at 5 yards, 10 yards, 20 yards... I think you'll find it enlightening.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Remington 870 loaded with low recoil buckshot? Yep, it is an excellent choice for home defense duty. The biggest thing I would recommend adding to your shotgun is a flashlight. Unless you keep your lights on 24/7 or wear night vision goggles, it's a necessity.

The side saddle is a good add-on as well. I've got a tac-star sidesaddle on my Mossberg 590, but I'm thinking about removing it. It does throw the balance of the gun off a little bit. If you want to keep extra ammo on your gun, you might want to look into a Speedfeed stock as well. They make at least two models that hold 4 extra shells inside the stock.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links