New guns, the hard way

New guns, the hard way

This is a discussion on New guns, the hard way within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I lost my Dad to cancer this past November... my brother handled cleaning out his place and boxing up his stuff. Yesterday at a family ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New guns, the hard way

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar

New guns, the hard way

I lost my Dad to cancer this past November... my brother handled cleaning out his place and boxing up his stuff. Yesterday at a family get together, he gave me these rifles that belonged to my Dad.

Top to bottom: Winchester 94 AE 30-30

Henry 22LR

Ithaca M49 22

I haven't Googled 'em up yet... Of the three, I'm most impressed by the Henry. The fit and finish are superior, and the action is very smooth and solid... has a "power steering" feel to it. The Winchester feels a little "loose" and "sloppy", but seems to function well. The rougher wood and "less-finished" metal work of the Ithaca remind me of a base AK...

Any opinions on what I got here...?
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

VIP Member
    looks to me like you got yourself some nice heirlooms, and hopefully memories of your father to go along with them.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by PointnClick View Post
    I lost my Dad to cancer this past November... my brother handled cleaning out his place and boxing up his stuff. Yesterday at a family get together, he gave me these rifles that belonged to my Dad.

Top to bottom: Winchester 94 AE 30-30

Henry 22LR

Ithaca M49 22

I haven't Googled 'em up yet... Of the three, I'm most impressed by the Henry. The fit and finish are superior, and the action is very smooth and solid... has a "power steering" feel to it. The Winchester feels a little "loose" and "sloppy", but seems to function well. The rougher wood and "less-finished" metal work of the Ithaca remind me of a base AK...

Any opinions on what I got here...?
    You've got some fine memories and some shooters there... no exceptional finds, just reliable guns. I'd agree that the Henry is probably the prize of the three.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    whatever personal value your Dad placed on his firearms, I'd say triple it. I dealt with the same exact issue myself 6 years ago. In my case my Dad had given me prior instruction on spreading his collection amongst the guys in the family and they were all of similar monetary value to your new collection. His guns are all still in the family, and none of them have a "price tag".

Keep them, shoot them, and pass them down

surv

Oh, that was the plan all along... I'd have to be damned hungry to sell one of these...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    looks to me like you got yourself some nice heirlooms, and hopefully memories of your father to go along with them.

^^^Took^^^the^^words^^right^^out^of^^my^^mouth!!!

"When you were born you were crying and everyone around you was smiling. Live your life so that when you die you are smiling and everyone around you is crying."
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Very nice rifles!
    Your father had good taste...now you have a great way to remember him and perhaps pass them down to your children.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Hang on to them and enjoy them. The gun I most miss is the Remington single shot 22 rifle that was my fathers, and was stolen when some jerk broke into my house 25 years ago. They could have stolen everything else I had and made less of an impact on me. I learned to shoot with that 22 rifle that couldn't be worth $25 to someone else.
    SE Texas Patriot Guard Rider, NRA Patron, TSRA Life Member

Ya know what I have noticed...? I don't hunt and don't have any "hunting rifles" ... everything I have is more of a "military rifle". I shot a lever-action 30-30 when I was 15, but that was many, many moons ago...

Now that I have spent a day or two cleaning and lubing these rifles, sighting on things in my back yard, working the action, I've come to develop a serious appreciation for this design. Is it just me, or is this a truly elegant design for a rifle...? The size, the weight, the balance, the ergonomics... I haven't even fired these guns yet, but I can snap these right up to my shoulder and get a solid cheek-weld and a good view of the front sight almost immediately.

Never appreciated this in my youth... I see a .45 cowboy lever action in my near future. I can't wait to shoot these babies...

Distinguished Member
    The M49 Ithaca, that was my first 22 rifle, my folks gave it to me for Christmas when I was a few, well ok, many years younger. I still have it, and shoot it on occasion.

It's hard to put a price on guns that have memories attached to them. My Grandpa is 96, and Grandma is gone, they had a house-hold sale before they put Grandpa in a rest home, on the sale was a Coast to Coast brand pump 410, made by Mossberg, nothing really special, but because it was Grandpa's, I wanted to own it. I know darn well they most likely paid about $129 when they bought it, it cost me $425.00, I was not going to let it get out of the family, and I will always think of Grandpa when I look at that gun.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    Agreed! Hang on to them, I'm not saying don't shoot them just keep them.

And short of semi-auto there aren't any more fun long guns to shoot than lever action.

joker1

Sorry to hear of your loss, I lost my dad to cancer also-totally sucks.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

OD*
    Sorry to hear of the loss of your father.

I like that Ranger model.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Sorry to hear about your dad. He left you some nice rifles. The Winchester is a very good everyday rifle that used to be the staple item for many a hunter back in the day.
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli" Clemenza

Sorry about your Dad. My condolences.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Sorry about your Dad. My condolences.
    This is my feeling also, I wished I had my father guns but they are gone due family member who did not value them.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links