Levergun question: I searched - Page 3

Levergun question: I searched

This is a discussion on Levergun question: I searched within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    That maybe but as by the Marlin website info they drop they apply the Guide Gun nomenclature to just the one model; 1895G.
    I'm only going by Marlins documentation on paper (catalog) and at their website.
    Right, that's why they have it in quotation marks on the web site, the G in any of the model designations signifies "Guide Gun."

Don't take my word for, ask Marlin. (203) 239-5621 (800) 544-8892

Marlin 1895STBL 45-70 GOVT - MA1895STBL - LIPSEYS.COM
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    And if you think that ones fun to shoot, come to Kansas for a visit and I'll let you shoot this one with my black powder handloads.
    Hoss
    Nice! Shiloh?

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Right, that's why they have it in quotation marks on the web site, the G in any of the model designations signifies "Guide Gun."

Don't take my word for, ask Marlin. (203) 239-5621 (800) 544-8892

Marlin 1895STBL 45-70 GOVT - MA1895STBL - LIPSEYS.COM
    I'll do one better than that.

I'm tentatively scheduled to visit the Marlin factory this spring as among a small group of folk being hosted by Bob Behn.
    It'll be a day trip and I'll make a mental note to ask about that among a bunch of other questions I have as toward their product line.

I'll remember to bump this thread with what I find out.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Nice! Shiloh?
    Yup. Shiloh Sharps, 45/70, 34" barrel. If you're interested, there's more pictures here, about 2/3 the way down the page.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    I'll do one better than that.

I'm tentatively scheduled to visit the Marlin factory this spring as among a small group of folk being hosted by Bob Behn.
    It'll be a day trip and I'll make a mental note to ask about that among a bunch of other questions I have as toward their product line.

I'll remember to bump this thread with what I find out.

- Janq
    Now that would be cool, please do let us know how it goes/went.

OD*
    Yup. Shiloh Sharps, 45/70, 34" barrel. If you're interested, there's more pictures here, about 2/3 the way down the page.

Hoss
    Wow, you have some super "cowboy" firearms there amigo! Question please, wouldn't your USFA Henry Nettleton revolver be considered an "artillery model" with the 5 1/2" tube on it?

I really like your pair (oops, guess it's one) of "Shootist" SAAs.

Wow, you have some super "cowboy" firearms there amigo! Question please, wouldn't your USFA Henry Nettleton revolver be considered an "artillery model" with the 5 1/2" tube on it?

I really like your pair of "Shootist" SAAs.
    Technically correct as I'm not sure he ever inspected any Artillery revolvers. Here's the info on USFA's web site and they now correctly identify the 5 1/2" as the Artillery model. I bought mine several years ago when they first introduced them and they were describing them only as Cavalry models even though they offered it with the 5 1/2" barrel. I even sweet talked them into letting me order it with fire-blued screws. Doubt they'd do that today.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

OD*
    Technically correct as I'm not sure he ever inspected any Artillery revolvers. Here's the info on USFA's web site and they now correctly identify the 5 1/2" as the Artillery model. I bought mine several years ago when they first introduced them and they were describing them only as Cavalry models even though they offered it with the 5 1/2" barrel. I even sweet talked them into letting me order it with fire-blued screws. Doubt they'd do that today.

Hoss
    Very nice Hoss.

You would be correct technically on HN not actually inspecting Artillery models, he only inspected from 1876 to 1880, Artillery models (referred to in early Colt correspondence as "refinished revolvers," "remodeled revolvers," "renovated revolvers" and "alterations") came about circa 1895/96 to as late as 1906 on existing SAAs.

Thanks.......

Quote Originally Posted by Jackle1886 View Post
    The .35 with the leverevolution bullets will shoot about a 4" grouping at 100yards. But from there to 200 yards it will drop off significantly; I know this as there is a gorgeous 180class 10pt that still walks the forests. Enjoy your gun, it's a great one!
    Tomorrow, when the weather is better, I will begin the breakin' out at the boonies. Leverevolution is on order. I get to fire it, and my son's new IO AK, and he gets to shoot the Marlin also,which he is kinda' excited about.
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by carry ok View Post
    Tomorrow, when the weather is better, I will begin the breakin' out at the boonies. Leverevolution is on order. I get to fire it, and my son's new IO AK, and he gets to shoot the Marlin also,which he is kinda' excited about.
    I'm sure you'll have a blast with it. Marlin builds a nice rifle.

In case you don't have a ballistics program, I ran you up a couple of ballistics charts using velocity and BC as published for the Hornady Leverevolution ammo. One for 100 yd. zero and one for 200 yd. zero. I assumed you are using iron sights. If using a scope, let me know and I'll do them again if you want.

Have fun.

Hoss

35rem-100yd.pdf 35rem-200yd.pdf

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Hoss, thanks. I will only use the stock sights. Where I will shoot tomorrow, I can get up to 100yards clear for targeting.
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I'm sure you'll have a blast with it. Marlin builds a nice rifle.

In case you don't have a ballistics program, I ran you up a couple of ballistics charts using velocity and BC as published for the Hornady Leverevolution ammo. One for 100 yd. zero and one for 200 yd. zero. I assumed you are using iron sights. If using a scope, let me know and I'll do them again if you want.

Have fun.

Hoss

35rem-100yd.pdf 35rem-200yd.pdf
    where do you get ballistic charting programs?
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    There are _many_ available online for free.

Below is a collection from major manufacturers that I'd posted to an archive/reference materials thread ages ago as at a different forum.

Handgun Magazine 'Ballistics Charts'
    Handgun Magazine Ballistics Charts

RifleShooter Magazine 'Ballistics Charts'
    RifleShooter Ballistics Charts & Tables

Hornady 'Ballistics Calculator'
    Ballistics Resource - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc

Hornady 'Ballistics Charts'
    http://www.hornady.com/images/ballis...ics_charts.pdf

Hornady 'Index of Terminal Standards' Calculator (H.I.T.S.)
    Ballistics Resource - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc

Winchester Ballistics Calculator
    http://www.winchester.com/ballistics
    My personal favorite is the Winchester 'Ballistics Calculator'.
    I reference it seemingly monthly in researching and comparing some load or another.

- Janq

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    I use this a lot:
    JBM - Calculations

As for the original question, I remember seeing some slow motion videos of a lever action tube magazine exploding, and of a 12ga shotgun with a 20ga shell obstructing the bore exploding. This video is the same, but of an overcharged revolver exploding. I just can't seem to find the other two.
    YouTube - Gun explodes in slomo

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links