Tell me why I should get an AR over a Mini 30?

This is a discussion on Tell me why I should get an AR over a Mini 30? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; dont like the 223?.. then get a AR in another cal, with a swap of the upper you can shoot Pistol calibers: 1. 7.62x25mm 2. ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tell me why I should get an AR over a Mini 30?

dont like the 223?.. then get a AR in another cal, with a swap of the upper you can shoot

Pistol calibers:
    1. 7.62x25mm
    2. 9mm luger
    3. 10mm
    4. 40 S&W
    5. 45 ACP
    6. 5.7x28mm
    7. .50 AE

Rifle calibers:
    8. .17 Remington
    9. .17 Remington Fireball
    10. .17 Tactical
    11. .17 Mach II
    12. .22 Long Rifle
    13. .20 Tactical
    14. .20 VAR-TARG
    15. .20 PPC
    16. .20 BR
    17. .204 Ruger
    18. .221 Remington Fireball
    19. .222 Remington
    20. .222 Remington Magnum
    21. 5.45x39mm
    22. 5.56x45mm NATO
    23. .223 Remington
    24. .22 PPC
    25. .223 WSSM
    26. .220 Russian
    27. 6mm PPC
    28. 6mm-223 Remington
    29. .243 WSSM
    30. 6mm BRX
    31. 6mm BR
    32. 6mm WOA
    33. 6mmAR
    34. 6mmAR Turbo/Turbo 40
    35. 6mm Hagar
    36. 6mm Whisper
    37. .25 WSSM
    38. .25-223
    39. 6.5 Grendel
    40. 6.5/243 WSSM
    41. 6.5 MPC
    42. 6.5 Whisper
    43. 6.5 MM Whisper
    44. 6.5 MM PPC (JDJ)
    45. 7 MM Whisper
    46. 7 MM TCU
    47. 6.8 SPC
    48. 7mm BR
    49. .300 Whisper
    50. .30 Carbine
    51. .30 BR
    52. 7.62x39mm
    53. .30 RAR (Remington AR)
    54. .338 Whisper
    55. .375 Whisper
    56. .375 CheyTac
    57. .408 CheyTac
    58. .416 Barrett
    59. .450 Bushmaster
    60. .458 SOCOM
    61. .50 Beowulf
    62. .499 LWR
    63. .50 BMG
    64. .50 DTC

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post
    Is that an absolute, or are all detachable conversions ify?

I think I'd rather save a little more if need be and get something that works out of the box, rather than trying to cobble mil-surp, even if it IS cool mil-surp.
    Not an absolute. But a very common occurance. Before Pirate on here came along, I had never met anyone whose detachable mags worked for them, unless the gun was designed for it.

You can load via stripper clips pretty fast though, and those 20 rounders ain't much to sneeze at.

I would choose the sks over the mini 30 any day of the week. Sure you lose the detachable mag factor, but you gain much more in the trade. (Cheaper cost, much better parts supply train , at least as accurate possibly more so, and designed for heavy use instead of sometimes use.)
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

This post by Sixto hits the nail on the head as to why I prefer an AR platform:

The down side to the Ruger is the cost and availability of magazines and parts. The biggest draw to the AR platform is its popularity and modular design that makes parts cheap and easy to come by.
    Biker

I have a mini 30 "ranch",I have taken several deer with it,one shot kills out to 200 yards,last doe was head on and shot her dead center in the chest with a soft point,I actually like shooting it more than the AR15 I have in 7.62x39,first it broke an extractor with less than 200 rounds,then It broke a bolt shortly after,A new bolt is $67.00 +S&H.I'm gonna turn it into a 5.56 gun and sell the barrel and 10 round mags
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    oh my.... I would Loooooooove to have an AR in 50BMG!
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Interesting points guys. I'm more confused now than before, but still....

I had no idea you could get an AR in that many calibers either, so that's good.

Part of my problem with AR's though, is that I LIKE a chunky, substantial gun. I like the original wood stocks on the mini's. Call me crazy...

You all DO have me thinking of an AR now though...
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar

Part of my problem with AR's though, is that I LIKE a chunky, substantial gun. I like the original wood stocks on the mini's. Call me crazy...

Did someone say.... woooood?

There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsbane View Post
    Those detachable mags quite often really cut down on reliablity. The fixed 20 rounders are nice though.
    The Tapco 20 round detachable mags are extremely reliable unlike the cheap metal detachable mags (USA, UTG and some others).....whole different animal. I have several that I use on 3 different SKS rifles (all 922r compliant) including Yugo, Russian and Chicom rifles and they have been 100 percent reliable in all 3 rifles. This is one Tapco product that really works well.

I owned a Ruger Mini 30 for several years and while it was a solid product like all Rugers it was no more accurate than the SKS, maybe less depending on ammo.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

i love AR15 in 5.56x45mm they are a classic! i dont know what reason you hate it i think you dont experience with it enough - like trying different bullet weight and barrel sizes, they can be made as effective as the sks in many other ways.
    Bushmaster XM15 E2S Shorty
    Walther P99 .40 S&W
    Romanian WASR GP 10/63
    Remington model 700 30-06
    Savage Model 62 .22lr
    Glock 19 gen 3 TALO

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Razor sez...

Now, that is sweet, Razor...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Ok, here's the deal: I can't afford either right now, but down the road I think I want a rifle caliber carbine.

I've always like Ruger mini 14's/30's, and though some claim they aren't accurate enough, I can't imagine a circumstance I'd need accuracy any greater than human torso size past 100 yards for a carbine.

I'm not really a fan of .223, and the look of most AR platform guns just isn't sexy at all to me like the Mini's.

So...given that, do I have to jump on the AR wagon, or am I well served with the Mini 30?

Are there any AR's that run 7.62? That may sway me a bit.
    Think the .223 is OK for my needs, but I like the idea of the 6.8 in the Mini-14, and am contemplating that route. The 7.62x39 is not my cup of tea. As for the AR/Mini decision, I like the Mini's handling characteristics far more than the AR system. I own two Minis and an AR15, but I only bought the AR15 because I wear a badge, and presently, if I want to tote a rifle at work, it is AR15 or nothing.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post

Nice stocks, but it still just doesn't look as cool to me as a mini or even the SKS...

Quote Originally Posted by 9mmPro View Post
    i love AR15 in 5.56x45mm they are a classic! i dont know what reason you hate it i think you dont experience with it enough - like trying different bullet weight and barrel sizes, they can be made as effective as the sks in many other ways.
    I don't like wee' widdle boolits!
    I don't have much experience with AR's, but I HAVE shot many rifles, including .223 and 7.62.
    If I'm going to have a rifle, I want a caliber that has a good chance of stopping WHATEVER I shoot at. The .223 just doesn't impress me as much as the 7.62.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

That's the coolest AR15 in the world!

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    For agencies and organizations, the AR15 platform makes sense. One can get armorer-level training for the AR platform easily enough. Minis generally go back to the factory; there is no system of Ruger armorers in place. While Ruger has an excellent reputation for customer service, an agency or organization often prefers in-house service of firearms, and modular components allows one receiver to be kept in service by swapping upper units and a few parts in the lower unit. An individual, who will ship his weapon off for service, has less need of modularity.

I wish Minis were as modular as ARs, because I prefer the way Minis handle, and their slimmer profile and lower line-of-sight over bore axis. I do have a spare trigger group that can be dropped into either of my Minis.

The AR10, because it is built for 7.62, is a much beefier rifle than the AR15. I have a DPMS in 308 that to me feels much more 'substantial' than other AR15's I have fondled or fired. It may just be the weight though because I have not done a side by side.

I can't help you with the wood furniture though.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links