Tell me why I should get an AR over a Mini 30?

This is a discussion on Tell me why I should get an AR over a Mini 30? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Footslogger The AR10, because it is built for 7.62, is a much beefier rifle than the AR15. I have a DPMS in ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tell me why I should get an AR over a Mini 30?

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger View Post
    The AR10, because it is built for 7.62, is a much beefier rifle than the AR15. I have a DPMS in 308 that to me feels much more 'substantial' than other AR15's I have fondled or fired. It may just be the weight though because I have not done a side by side.

I can't help you with the wood furniture though.
    i also have a dpms 308. i wanted something with a little more boom than a 223. i love it. check out their website and research the specific rifle you see (google it, find forums where people are griping about problems or praising it).

i chose mine that way; you can find a lot of info on specific model guns in forums (hey, like this one!). really helped me make what i feel was an informed decision. some people don't like the super tight fit that dpms has on their bolts/recievers, but it's not a big deal if you just lube it right. i was having ftf issues when i was lubing it like a ar15 i used to own, but just a little more lube and no problems at all!

plus i clear out the indoor range after half a mag! ha! it's pretty friggin loud. gonna have to get a can on it one of these days. i love the 308 round though. if your deer is hiding in a cinder block house 200 yards down range, you can still get em.

the only thing i don't like about the ar platform (ar10 or ar15, m4) is the seemingly specific cleaning equipment you need. i don't know what i'd do if i ran out of q-tips! but all in all i have found them to be reliable. never shot a mini 14/30.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Thanks for the replies guys. I am grudgingly warming up to the AR platform knowing I can go 308, 7.62, etc.

I STILL think the mini is a cool gun though.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys. I am grudgingly warming up to the AR platform knowing I can go 308, 7.62, etc.

I STILL think the mini is a cool gun though.
    If you like the mini in your "heart of hearts" you should just go with that. No need to force yourself to like something you really don't like in the first place.

What about FAL, HK91/CETME? M14/Springfield M1 or Socom? Some ideas if you don't like the ARs. And there's the R-25 to think about if you do.
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    If you like the mini in your "heart of hearts" you should just go with that. No need to force yourself to like something you really don't like in the first place.
    Or maybe I'll hit the lottery and get both?
    "Don't Tread on Me"

I carried the AR in the Persion Gulf. Many times it would seize up due to the sand, which got into everything. When you cleaned it, which was about every chance you got regardless of if it had been fired, you had to be very careful with lubrication, as a normal lubing was a dirt magnet, so now it was too dry. We grabbed the AKs when we ran across them for reliability. Another thing to consider, is the AR by design has one of the dirtiest operating system on the battlefield, due to its internal gas tubes which spew powder residue inside the feeding/bolt area. Additionally, most people who have not been trained on the AR style will not get the most out of it. For instance, one click/turn of the front site moves the strike of the round 1 1/4 inch up or down at 100 yards and so forth. I personally prefer the mini 14 due to its cleaner operating system and top ejecting style, due to the ability to see a jam and access it without removing the mag, which most people do not think of. I know the AR is all the rage these days due to the war, but having used the AR in combat, I prefer the mini. Magazine cost is a mute point. I vote mini-14, and stay away from all the gadgets.

Quote Originally Posted by NoNameMan View Post
    What about FAL, HK91/CETME? M14/Springfield M1 or Socom? Some ideas if you don't like the ARs. And there's the R-25 to think about if you do.
    Yup..always those too...

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I carried the AR in the Persion Gulf. Many times it would seize up due to the sand, which got into everything. When you cleaned it, which was about every chance you got regardless of if it had been fired, you had to be very careful with lubrication, as a normal lubing was a dirt magnet, so now it was too dry. We grabbed the AKs when we ran across them for reliability. Another thing to consider, is the AR by design has one of the dirtiest operating system on the battlefield, due to its internal gas tubes which spew powder residue inside the feeding/bolt area. Additionally, most people who have not been trained on the AR style will not get the most out of it. For instance, one click/turn of the front site moves the strike of the round 1 1/4 inch up or down at 100 yards and so forth. I personally prefer the mini 14 due to its cleaner operating system and top ejecting style, due to the ability to see a jam and access it without removing the mag, which most people do not think of. I know the AR is all the rage these days due to the war, but having used the AR in combat, I prefer the mini. Magazine cost is a mute point. I vote mini-14, and stay away from all the gadgets.
    Yeah, I think I probably will go mini, at least for the next long gun, then maybe the next next will be an AR or other platform.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

You will not be disapointed. I just purchased the LE model. I have a regular model also both in 223. I have no trouble hitting humanoid targets at 300-500 yards. True they may not be as accurate as an AR, but there is mechanical accuracy and practical accuracy, and very, very few people can get the mechanical accuracy out of a firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post
    Ok, here's the deal: I can't afford either right now, but down the road I think I want a rifle caliber carbine.

I've always like Ruger mini 14's/30's, and though some claim they aren't accurate enough, I can't imagine a circumstance I'd need accuracy any greater than human torso size past 100 yards for a carbine.

I'm not really a fan of .223, and the look of most AR platform guns just isn't sexy at all to me like the Mini's.

So...given that, do I have to jump on the AR wagon, or am I well served with the Mini 30?

Are there any AR's that run 7.62? That may sway me a bit.
    You can shoot short Russian (7.62x39) in AR with change of upper+mag, but best reason for AR is that it's ubiquitous.

Have fun!

--John

I would recommend AK-47 over Mini-30. More optic option, cheaper magazines, wider option for accessories/add-ons.

No question.

So the question would boil down to AR and/or AK.

My opinion: get both and try it, and then once you had tried both, keep the one you like more.

--John

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Yup. Have to agree. I also prefer the Mini over the AR for the same reasons.

As far as caliber goes - 5.56 or .223 JHPs or JSPs will work just fine for civilian self defense at any distance that can be legally justified as a self defense shooting.

PS - I have personal experience with the AR, Mini and AK. Prefer Mini to the others.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I have a mini-30, mini-14, and a SR-556. I like the minis because of the Garand style action. The biggest problem is finding good magazines for them, especially the mini-30. The only really good mags are the Ruger factory 20 rounders. They (Ruger) don't make a 30 round mag for the mini 30. They do make a 30 rounder for the mini-14 but it is $50! The SR-556 uses plain vanilla AR mags. I usually buy Magpul Pmags for around $14 (shipping included) from AIM Surplus.

I had a mini 30...was a fun gun. Though I traded it in for a SOCOMII. Love that rifle even more.

Any thoughts on a 30-06 gun other than the M1?

Quote Originally Posted by faif2d View Post
    Any thoughts on a 30-06 gun other than the M1?
    I bought a Remington Woodmaster 742 semi auto 30-06. The factory mag holds 5 rounds but you buy extra 10 round magazines from Brownell's. I have four extra 10 round mags of 30-06 for home defense.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links