Considering an AR and need advice

This is a discussion on Considering an AR and need advice within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a M&P 15 22LR but am considering purchasing a 223. I know very little about them and was thinking about a M&P 15, ...

Thread: Considering an AR and need advice

I have a M&P 15 22LR but am considering purchasing a 223. I know very little about them and was thinking about a M&P 15, or one of these one from Spikes Tactical.

ST-15 M4 Carbine [STR5C01] - $950.00 : Spikes Tactical

ST-15 M4 LE [STR5LE1] - $799.95 : Spikes Tactical

VIP Member
    It is more costly, but you should check out the Sig556 line of rifles. They are more reliable, easier to operate, tear-down, and clean than a traditional AR.
    edit: They are also every bit as customizable as an AR

Here is a link

Products & Services
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

BAC
    Conveniently enough, I'm working on something that may influence your purchase.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

BAC thanks for the article, while it did some explaining I'm still confused. If I understand anything from what I read it would seem like either of the two Spikes I mentioned above would be a better choice then the M&P 15. The specs as I'm reading them are the same on the two Spikes rifles, so I don't understand the $150 difference in price.

If you are looking at anything except a basic AR with carbine gas, plastic handguards, and standard M4 furniture, I think the key is to find a system that won't require you to backstep on anything. Buying a standard AR, but wanting to put a rail, aftermarket stock, grip, upgraded SOPMOD bolt, etc. will leave you with a huge parts bin and cost more in the end. If you want something specific it may be cheaper to build a high quality rifle, but if the customization is minimal you may just want to look for a quality system.

People will say "ABC's", but you won't go wrong with any of the following:
    Top notch, but maybe a few bucks more:
    BCM
    Colt
    Daniel Defense
    Sabre Defence
    LMT

Still excellent:
    S&W
    Rock River
    DPMS
    Bushmaster
    Probably many many more, and pistons create a whole new market.

The big question I'd want to know is what is your intended use? If plinking or target shooting with a scope, you may want to go with a more accurate barrel, nice aftermarket adjustable trigger, etc., but reliability may, although still important, not CRITICAL.
    If a home defense, security, or LE use, you'll want 5.56 chambers, SOPMOD bolt upgrade, excellent staking of the gas key, milspec reciever extension, and an ultra reliable trigger like the standard GI or maybe a Geissele SSA.

I want to use it for target shooting. I go every other week to practice with my G19. and take the boys in the woods to play with my 22's. I'm considering joining a new club and they have a 100 & 200 yard range. I thought that would be a good excuse to buy something more powerful. With the cost of 223 I probably would shoot 20 or so rounds a month.

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by rmilchman View Post
    BAC thanks for the article, while it did some explaining I'm still confused. If I understand anything from what I read it would seem like either of the two Spikes I mentioned above would be a better choice then the M&P 15. The specs as I'm reading them are the same on the two Spikes rifles, so I don't understand the $150 difference in price.
    I'm workin' on that section, promise!

Spikes Tactical has been making some major jumps in product quality in the last year or so; the only real problem with them is that many of these much-nicer rifles are so new that nobody's really had the chance to wring them out yet (they're in my back yard and I haven't seen one yet...). Given the track record of stainless-steel AR-15 innards, I'm skeptical about the stainless steel triggers and hammer pins. Their weird buffer thing seems to work quite nicely for those who have it, and it's price comparably to a normal buffer.

That being said, I honestly like both Spikes rifles over the M&P 15s. The M&P 15 is not a bad rifle by any means, but it has a couple things going against it: inferior barrel compared to similarly priced competitors, and of course the price. The barrel may not concern you with your low expected round count, but that plus a likely higher priced-rifle... Also, keep in mind that in either case you'll usually pay a little more for complete rifles than for a separate upper and lower (complete firearms carry an excise tax).

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    I'm workin' on that section, promise!

Spikes Tactical has been making some major jumps in product quality in the last year or so; the only real problem with them is that many of these much-nicer rifles are so new that nobody's really had the chance to wring them out yet (they're in my back yard and I haven't seen one yet...). Given the track record of stainless-steel AR-15 innards, I'm skeptical about the stainless steel triggers and hammer pins. Their weird buffer thing seems to work quite nicely for those who have it, and it's price comparably to a normal buffer.

That being said, I honestly like both Spikes rifles over the M&P 15s. The M&P 15 is not a bad rifle by any means, but it has a couple things going against it: inferior barrel compared to similarly priced competitors, and of course the price. The barrel may not concern you with your low expected round count, but that plus a likely higher priced-rifle... Also, keep in mind that in either case you'll usually pay a little more for complete rifles than for a separate upper and lower (complete firearms carry an excise tax).

-B
    If you plan to be in the Orlando area, give them a call. I dropped by a couple of weeks ago to pick up an order (and a lower). Great bunch of folks.

Quote Originally Posted by rmilchman View Post
    If I understand anything from what I read it would seem like either of the two Spikes I mentioned above would be a better choice then the M&P 15. The specs as I'm reading them are the same on the two Spikes rifles, so I don't understand the $150 difference in price.
    The more expensive one uses a hammer forged barrel. Everything else will make no difference. If you're fixed on this gun, pick the cheaper one. You will lose between 3-5000 rounds of barrel life, but with your round count expectations it will still take you over 60 years to burn it out.

Thanks to all for the feedback.

Links