Bushmaster XM15 E2S Reviews - Page 2

Bushmaster XM15 E2S Reviews

This is a discussion on Bushmaster XM15 E2S Reviews within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a Bushmaster XM-15. It shoots 5.56, .223. NATO as well as SD rounds with no problems. I do use the Mag Pul magazines ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Bushmaster XM15 E2S Reviews

I have a Bushmaster XM-15. It shoots 5.56, .223. NATO as well as SD rounds with no problems. I do use the Mag Pul magazines though.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    One of my buddys has got two bushmaster 15's. One is the m4 style, the other is the traditional a2 style. Both are pretty solid, accurate, and reliable. We shot through all of his wolf ammo (about 1000 rounds each) in just a few hours. The only problem we encountered was crappy (probably dirty) magazines failing to feed. He doesn't take the best care of his rifles, so they were dirty and dry when we started.

Pirate hit the nail on this one tho, keep it and see how you like it man.
    I'd go ahead and keep it. See what you feel
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SilenceDoGood View Post
    The only problem we encountered was crappy (probably dirty) magazines failing to feed. He doesn't take the best care of his rifles, so they were dirty and dry when we started.
    Here's a solid piece of advice for AR shooters: don't fall in love with your magazines - I don't care who made 'em. Some of the best are the OEM Colt, NHMTG and Magpul P-Mags, but I've had feed lips spread on the metal ones and just plumb wore out a couple of P-Mags.

Dirty - not good, but short of pebbles in the mag, should not be a problem.
    Dry - good. Use no lube in AR mags!

On the real cheap mags, the spring wire is undersized and takes a set early in life, and some of the older followers will tilt as the mag gets down to the last few rounds. If cleaning the mag does not make the feed problems go away, pitch it.

BTW, on 30-round mags, download by 2 to 28 rounds. You can't seat a full 30-rounder on a closed bolt.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post

BTW, on 30-round mags, download by 2 to 28 rounds. You can't seat a full 30-rounder on a closed bolt.
    I've never had a problem seating a full PMAG on a closed bolt. Sample size of one, so it might not mean anything. Just FYI

I've had a Bushmaster M4 for about 3 years now. Runs great. Only internal modification I did was add an extractor upgrade. Externally I've added a Mapul CTR stock, MOE handguard (not on rifle in picture), stubby VFG, a First Samco G27 grip (I have big hands), Eotech 512, Magpul MS2 sling and the Elzetta flashlight mount.

I've done a lot of plinking with the rifle, ran it through several LEO rifle instructor courses and qualifications. The only "malfunction" I had with the rifle was shooting Wolf ammo. Got a FTE. I shot a lot of Wolf and the chamber got dirty causing the FTE. Cleaned the chamber and I was good to go again.

I've had the same Bushmaster since 99' and it functions flawlessly. I got some surplus Israeli mags ( Orlite) I think, and they work fine, but when I got them I opened them up to clean and inspect, and they had sand in them. So beware and inspect surplus gear. If you've been in the military, you know how some stuff gets shelved! You might consider getting an after market trigger from Timney Or Chip McCormick which will really improve the performance.

I have one

I just bought one from a friend of a friend. Brand new, never fired. Came with 5 30 rounders and 1K of Federal rounds.
    $1100.00 for those interested. Got to love Oboma.

ANYWAY...
    My first was a Colt CAR back in the 80's so I'm a tad rusty about what you can do now.
    I've decided between close combat to med range sniper to go for the sniper theme. As it has a full butt stock, no flash suppressor and a fixed carry handle.

Opinions...

Scopes;
    Thinking the range is going to be 300m or so for most targets. I'm a Leupold fan but not married to it.

Bipods;
    Not a fan of the collapsible / hand grip ones. Like a dedicated one.

Suppressors (flash hehe);
    Long or short? With or without teeth?

Thanks in advance for the input. It means alot.
    Onion

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Here's a solid piece of advice for AR shooters: don't fall in love with your magazines - I don't care who made 'em. Some of the best are the OEM Colt, NHMTG and Magpul P-Mags, but I've had feed lips spread on the metal ones and just plumb wore out a couple of P-Mags.

Dirty - not good, but short of pebbles in the mag, should not be a problem.
    Dry - good. Use no lube in AR mags!

On the real cheap mags, the spring wire is undersized and takes a set early in life, and some of the older followers will tilt as the mag gets down to the last few rounds. If cleaning the mag does not make the feed problems go away, pitch it.

How could you leave off Labelle/D&H off that list but put on NHMTG? Repent, sinner! Totally agree on the download advice though.

Onion: you scored a deal for the ages. 1K of lake city 5.56 is damn near $500 by itself. Consider yourself very fortunate.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

I keep reading statements from posters saying they are thinking of trading their Bushmasters' for a "higher end" or "better grade of" AR-15...

Really?

I haven't found one that performs better, I can tell you that.

You might find one that costs more, but those manufacturers are playing to people who obviously have more money than good sense because their product isn't better. It might me made in a more expensive manner, but that doesn't necessarily make it better. Quality is subjective and I've come to find that as long as the weapon fires each and every time you pull the trigger, is accurate and the vital, mechanical functions are ALWAYS RELIABLE, improvement is unachievable, regardless of cost.

I owned Colt, Beretta, Sig, Browning, FN, and others. They're all top quality and outstanding in their design. I would trust my safety with any of them and I would sell or trade any of them EXCEPT...my Bushmaster.

RKM
    If you like your Bushmaster, and your Bushmaster works for you, than that is fantastic. Use what you want to use because it works for you.

Over the past 2 years or so, the higher end rifles have been coming down in price, in the range of Bushmaster's, and people seems to think, why buy a $800-900 Bushmaster when they can have a higher quality Colt for only $100 more? I won't bash Bushmaster. I'm sure they make a decent AR, but I'm certain that a Colt is higher in quality. When I was in the AR buying market, high end rifles were a high end price of $1500 and more. My M&P15, which is a "good" rifle was just under $1000. If I were to be buying an AR today, I'd buy a BCM. But, my M&P15 works for me, and I like it :)

Do your best not to be upset when somebody bashes or puts down your brand of choice. If it works for you, then it works for you.

I have no good reason to trade off my Bushmaster rifle. I'll continue to buy crap I reckon. I depend on my Bushmaster just like I depended on my standard issue M16 in 1982. Everyone is more than welcomed to second guess me on my choice. Won't make any difference to me. Think of me however you'd like. I don't really care what you think anyway unless you've walked in my shoes. Then,,, you can PM me and we can discuss things. I'm sick of folks telling me what I use is inferior. Matter of fact....the mods should ban some of them on grounds of harassment. But as I'm telling you this.....it won't happen. Bushmaster is known to be the low life here....get used to that....from the staff on down. They'll bash you for having a Bushmaster...but not formally where they border on humiliation or flaming a member. Interesting how things work under an auspicious government. Forget about a Bushmaster and forget about discussing it here. Plenty of other places you won't need to feel ashamed. My time is short here for telling the truth sometimes. Take it for what it's worth. More mods every day with their own personal feelings to defend. See you on the bright side of life.

Man, people get bent out of shape on both ends. If it works, it works. I won't spend $1,100 at the local shop when they have the same configured BCM for $1,125 or order a Colt 6920 for about a grand.

Then again, I've had very bad experiences with Bushmaster and their customer service. Two bad rifles and them telling me I shot it too fast/hard before I even mentioned the less than 1,000 rounds was enough for me.

Just the other day a Lieutenant from a local PD and forum member came down since he was having rifle issues. He had a Colt upper on a BCM lower with BCM carrier group. It turned out to be an out of spec carrier group.

I don't care what people run as long as they know what they're buying and are aware of potential issues. I know a couple guys running Bushmasters with no issues, but the fact remains that they do use slightly lower quality steel for their barrels, lower quality RE's and there's a possibility the chamber will be tighter than 5.56 and need reamed. It's also possible it'll be fine.
    Rob99VMI04 likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

With any rifle or component that you buy, there are certain items that you need to inspect to make sure they are done properly.

Bushmaster (not singling out, but is the topic of this thread) has sketchy gas key staking, castle nut staking, and as previously mentioned the occasional chamber issues. All of these items are FIXABLE, and should provide the end user with reliable service. The service life is another question.

I have read threads about problems with every manufacturer from the bottom end quality rifles, to the top of line Ferrari's.

Even items that may be of little consequence to some are a tipping point to me. Troy recently came out with their own carbine, and Troy is a known top quality manufacturer. The two that I looked at both had extremely wobbly front sights integrated into the rail, the gas block was set screw retained, not pinned, and a majority of them (by reports from others) are picky about the mags that they use. Deal breaker for me. I did not even get around to looking at the gas key on the BCG or the castle nut on the receiver extension.

The AR that I assembled has spoiled me, and I will likely never buy an off the rack rifle since I will be replacing everything but the upper and lower receiver housings.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    I love nine, bought the optics ready and tricked it out myself. no problems.

IMAG1125_2.jpg
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Did my homework, shoped it, bought it.
    $1050.00 NIB.

Flawless, accurate. till death do we part.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links