Fiberglass Stock on an M1A?

This is a discussion on Fiberglass Stock on an M1A? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Im looking at picking up a Springfield M1A Scout Squad with an OD Green fiberglass stock. I was just curious to know how sturdy/durable the ...

Thread: Fiberglass Stock on an M1A?

Fiberglass Stock on an M1A?

Im looking at picking up a Springfield M1A Scout Squad with an OD Green fiberglass stock. I was just curious to know how sturdy/durable the fiberglass stocks are as opposed to wood. I love the look of the wood by far, but this will be filling the roll of a shtf type of gun, so I need to be sure of its strength. Any thoughts?
    Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post.

2. Remove Ads

The fiberglas is more durable, period. Definitely not as pretty, but... a workin' gun is a workin' gun.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thats what I had figured but I couldnt find anything discussing the matter online.
    Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post.

Fiberglass is durable, repairable, and stable.

Definitely more durable....and Downright "tacticool".
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I have both fiberglass and a Vltor Modstock. Both are sweet. Plus I am neurotic about proper finish on wood and as soon as it got scratched I would be irritated. With fiberglass I can scratch it and not care. I love the pistol grip on the Vltor!!

Quote Originally Posted by jbone View Post
    Im looking at picking up a Springfield M1A Scout Squad with an OD Green fiberglass stock. I was just curious to know how sturdy/durable the fiberglass stocks are as opposed to wood. I love the look of the wood by far, but this will be filling the roll of a shtf type of gun, so I need to be sure of its strength. Any thoughts?
    Superior regarding shooting but not as nice looking as polished walnut.

--John

I have the Scout Squad with a Mossy Oak synthetic stock. I love it. I like the looks of Walnut better but for a hunting/SHTF rifle I think the synthetic stock is more practical.
    Current handguns: Glock models 19, 22C, 23, 27, 29, & 36; Kimber Pro CDP and Polymer Custom; Kahr PM9 & CW9; S&W models 6906, 386PD, 66; Taurus 85 Ultralite Ti; Browning Buckmark;

Former handguns: S&W 4"686, 4" 620 & Sigma .380, Taurus 617 Ti, Kimber Pro Eclipse, Walther P22, Glock 30 & 33.

I hate to say it but glass

The wood is a very traditional look but the glass wins in durability and stability over time.

IDK how into long arms you are but if you have ever heard a reference to bedding an action ( primarily bolt guns ) the process is basic, over relieve the stock fill it full of bedding material ( read fiberglass reinforced resin) and smash the two together again. There is more to it than just that but we don't go through that hassle for nothing it gives us the traditional wood look with the added benefits of a stable action/ barrel base. Not sure it would even be feasible in an M1A just brought it up to reinforce the glass stocks (good ones) are worth it.

Links