Love to shoot the AR, hate to pay theprice for ammo, now a solution to the problem

Love to shoot the AR, hate to pay theprice for ammo, now a solution to the problem

This is a discussion on Love to shoot the AR, hate to pay theprice for ammo, now a solution to the problem within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I want to shoot the AR more but .223 ammo is so freakin high these days I have been shooting other less expensive options (thats ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Love to shoot the AR, hate to pay theprice for ammo, now a solution to the problem

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar

I want to shoot the AR more but .223 ammo is so freakin high these days I have been shooting other less expensive options (thats a relative term) more and more. I had done some research on .22LR conversions for the AR and found a CMMG .22 LR AR-15 Conversion Kit for $149.95 at Botach Tactical. Converting my DPMS AR to shoot plentiful and affordable .22 LR rimfire rounds for plinking and practice was really ease. This Kit is really just a new bolt and mag and converts the rifle to .22 in just seconds. Just open up the rifle and remove the bolt/carrier and install the new unit. No tools needed. This kit changes any .223/5.56 NATO AR-15 to 22-caliber. It dropped in and fit my rifle perfectly. The Botach price was even $30 less than the dealer pricing on this item I can get from Midway and Brownell's with my C&R FFL. With this price I went ahead a purchased 2 additonal 26 round magazines for $19 each.

I took the rifle to the range today and fired around 200 rounds of mixed hi velocity .22lr. including CCI, American Eagle, Remington and Federal. I had no failures of any kind with any of the ammo. It ran smooth and feed and ejected positive just like I hope it would. I was using a Eotech Holo sight not a scope today so I was shooting for function testing not groups, but accuracy should be pretty good I think. I was impressed by the CMMG unit and its a keeper......now for a few more bricks of .22 plinking ammo.

CMMG AR15/M16 .22 Conversion Kit
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I have a spikes tactical and love it.

It doesn't like CCI, but loves Federal & Winchester bulk pack ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    I want to shoot the AR more but .223 ammo is so freakin high these days I have been shooting other less expensive options (thats a relative term) more and more. I had done some research on .22LR conversions for the AR and found a CMMG .22 LR AR-15 Conversion Kit for $149.95 at Botach Tactical. Converting my DPMS AR to shoot plentiful and affordable .22 LR rimfire rounds for plinking and practice was really ease. This Kit is really just a new bolt and mag and converts the rifle to .22 in just seconds. Just open up the rifle and remove the bolt/carrier and install the new unit. No tools needed. This kit changes any .223/5.56 NATO AR-15 to 22-caliber. It dropped in and fit my rifle perfectly. The Botach price was even $30 less than the dealer pricing on this item I can get from Midway and Brownell's with my C&R FFL. With this price I went ahead a purchased 2 additonal 26 round magazines for $19 each.

I took the rifle to the range today and fired around 200 rounds of mixed hi velocity .22lr. including CCI, American Eagle, Remington and Federal. I had no failures of any kind with any of the ammo. It ran smooth and feed and ejected positive just like I hope it would. I was using a Eotech Holo sight not a scope today so I was shooting for function testing not groups, but accuracy should be pretty good I think. I was impressed by the CMMG unit and its a keeper......now for a few more bricks of .22 plinking ammo.

CMMG AR15/M16 .22 Conversion Kit
    Thanks. Will check into it! --John
    PS
    5.45 upper is another option.

Yep! That's why when I bought my AR last year I got the Smith MP15 in the 5.45x39 right off the bat!!

$317 for the last crate of 2,160 rounds delivered to my door!! BTW, I got 3 and a half cases downstairs.

No matter what, it's great to hear you got something that lets you shoot more!!
    Last edited by Fastball; March 7th, 2010 at 02:35 AM. Reason: Arrgg! Spelling!
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

I got an AR15 conversion and we got my buddy an M16 conversion,It fires like 12 rounds a second,and even tho its fun to shoot 223 full auto we can shoot 22LR all day long for the cost of 100 rounds of 223
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

That sounds like a great solution, may pick one up myself...

I have a tactical solutions dedicated upper 22lr its great and runs perfect! If you can, get setup to reload 223 , you can shoot more!

I'm assuming this set will only work in traditional DI rifle?

For a gas piston AR (with a standard lower) I would just have to get a dedicated .22 upper, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    I have a spikes tactical and love it.

It doesn't like CCI, but loves Federal & Winchester bulk pack ammo.
    Same here, great unit.

But then I got tired of cleaning my lower and bought a S&W MP15-22. I'm keeping the Spikes though.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

I notice that CMMG makes a stainless steel version of their conversion kit.

Anyone know what the advantage, if any, is to getting a stainless steel version?

TIA
    Samwolf

"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms."

-- Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Samwolf View Post
    I notice that CMMG makes a stainless steel version of their conversion kit.

Anyone know what the advantage, if any, is to getting a stainless steel version?

TIA
    Likely only easier to clean and more corrosion resistant, but if you clean it after every time out i do not see the reason to go stainless over the basic unit.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    I love mine. When I did the math, after the cost of 1 brick of Federal 22lr it paid for itself in savings.

It does help with cleaning though to run a few rounds of 223 down the barrel after you are done. Blows most of the 22lr crap out of the gas tube.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

If you buy blackdog magazines,I had a few that the feed lips developed cracks,upon contacting the company they said send em back for replacements
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Just ordered this kit as well. I bought some cheap 223 ammo and shot it over the weekend and it jammed quite a bit so instead of upgrading my 223/556 ammo, I'll just use the conversion. Hopefully it works as well for me as it does for others.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    From you guys who've shot an adapter for awhile, just how bad does it gunk up your gun? You always hear how dirty it is and how it fouls the gas tube, but if a good cleaning is all it takes, then it seems like it would be a LOT cheaper than a dedicated upper.

Anyone know the advantages of one over the other besides cost? I mean between an adapter and a dedicated upper?

God Bless
    Gideon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links