Thoughts On The Combat Shotgun

This is a discussion on Thoughts On The Combat Shotgun within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Click Here To Go There & Read It. Agree with all of it? Agree with some of it? Any Thoughts ~ Or Additions ~ Or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts On The Combat Shotgun

Administrator

Post Thoughts On The Combat Shotgun

Click Here To Go There & Read It.

Agree with all of it?

Agree with some of it?

Any Thoughts ~ Or Additions ~ Or Corrections.

We want To Hear From You.

All Comments & Opinions Welcome.

QKS Slug File Photo

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    sounds about right.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

The shotgun is KING when all three of the following parameters are met:

1. Shots are in the "open" (no cover available for the bad guy/s).
    2. No friendlies down range.
    3. Shots are within 30 meters or so.

If any ONE of the above three are not met - the shotgun is not the best tool for the job. In order for the shotgun to reign supreme - ALL three of the above must be met.

And if all three of the above ARE met - then the shotgun is indeed the very best tool for the job.

That is my opinion - that and a buck will get you a .99 hamburger at Wendy's.

cheers

tire iron

Assistant Administrator
    tire - I pretty much go along with that but would reduce that 30 yards bit - probably by then pattern even full choked is opening too much.

At 10 to 15 max I'd agree it is well useful and certainly as HD - hard to beat probably.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    pretty much old news imho , thus the evelution of the patrol rifle/carbine in the last 15 years or so
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

P95,

I agree - I am probably too generous with the distance of 30 yrds. Some shotguns can hold a group together at 30 yrds - but not very many - that is for sure.

cheers

tire iron

Administrator
    I'd be worried a bit w/ my "home defense" shotty at 30 yds with its short riot barrel.

Lots of new members here these days. Some new to shooting in general so...thought it would be a good read mostly for them.

Not too much new concerning defensive Rock Salt Guns that we seasoned shooters don't know about already.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    With Remington 8 pellet 00 buck reduced recoil ammo, my 870P will give me a pattern at 25 yards that I can cover with my open hand. I use a modified choke.

With 9 pellet ammo, the pattern opens and fliers can become an issue.

With a little training and thought, ammo exchange on the fly between slugs and shot is easy, and slugs are combat accurate out to 100 yards. Unless somebody is in a firing position attacking me with a rifle, I'm pretty much going to take an escape route if my threat is that far away.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Administrator

Thumbs up Combat...that's good...

My shorty/shotty riot/police barrel will not do that with any manner of shell but slugs.

It's extremely easy and fast to maneuver close quarters...& handles slugs very well but, nothing else is that tight at 25 ~ 30 yds.

There is a price to pay for everything...I guess.

Nice read. Thanks for the link.

My thoughts...worth approx 1 Ruble...

When I loaded up the 12 ga. pump w/00 buck, I never had a thought of a shot over 20 yds. In fact, I never had a thought of a shot, for defense, of 20 yds...considering that the distance from my bedroom door to the front door of the house is less than that. Of course, I also hope that the sound of a pump racking would give me a split second advantage over any intruder. (Maybe, maybe not...)

Anyway, I grew up hunting deer with a shotgun. My first shotgun ( a .410) wouldn't pattern for squat with slugs. My second ( a single shot 12 ga.) would do okay at 50 yds, but I never considered taking a shot longer than that. My third (borrowed 12 ga. bolt w/rifled bbl.) would do at 100 yds...it would also pattern #4 birdshot so tightly that it was easier to shoot clays with a .22LR. After seeing a buck hit in the face/chest at 20 yds. with 00 buck, and running off little worse for the experience, I learned this: even with a shotty, AIM like you were using a rifle; don't take long shots; know the pattern of your wep/ammo system; don't depend on it for penetration.

Frankly, I like the shotgun at self-defense ranges for COM shots, psychological effect (thank you, Sun Tzu), and, in extremely close quarters, it makes a really good staff. Hmmm...maybe I should get one of those WWI Winchesters w/bayo? The only reason that the shot-gun won out over the rifle is that I live in a populated area. It's not any easier to get good hits with the scattergun. Heck, if it weren't for neighbors I'd have gone for an AK or a .45-70 lever gun.

Okay...maybe my thoughts are worth 1/2 of a Ruble.

Michael

VIP Member
    My HD shotgun will do ok on a skeet field (16-20yds), but at distances beyond that I don't think so. A shot in my house is 20 feet or less. So it is adequate for that. Also I like a HD shotgun for the psychological effect. The racking of the slide is a good one. Thanks Hollywood. Also if you do fire an 18.5" barrel shotgun in the dark, it is a flame thrower. Even if you miss, the ball of flame that encompasses the BG should be very discouraging to them.

I still give myself a fighting chance on the load out. A 12ga with 00 Buck and slugs. I also keep an AR handy, just in case. However I have to believe after the first shot the BGs are leaving. If not they are insane/drugged and things are very bad.

If I want to control 100yds or better my AR is what I will reach for, not a shotgun.

-Scott-

With Remington 8 pellet 00 buck reduced recoil ammo, my 870P will give me a pattern at 25 yards that I can cover with my open hand. I use a modified choke.
    I get the same pattern out of Federal's 8 pellet 00 buck reduced recoil load, LE133 to be specific. Gun is a Mossberg 590 with a cyliner bore.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    I'd be worried a bit w/ my "home defense" shotty at 30 yds with its short riot barrel.

Lots of new members here these days. Some new to shooting in general so...thought it would be a good read mostly for them.

Not too much new concerning defensive Rock Salt Guns that we seasoned shooters don't know about already.
    Lengthened forcing cone is a good place to start, maybe a back-bore as well.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Sounds like several members have tested patterns at different distances.Most people don't think to do that. In my almost worthless opinion, (1.5 cents)folks should be as familiar with their shotguns performance as their pistols. Yes it may be a little more forgiving at certain distances but we need to know what they are. As the article and some of the forum members stated not every shotgun will perform the same way.

My home defence shotgun is a mossberg 590 parkerized with 8,
    2 3/4 low recoil 00 buck, I have the bayonet mounted on it, hopefully the look of it will be enough of a deterent that the bad guy will turn tail and run.
    Capt. Jack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links