Question about the M1A

This is a discussion on Question about the M1A within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I "grew up" on the M16A1 and then carried an M4 on my Iraq tour..but always loved the M1 and by extension the M14. This ...

Thread: Question about the M1A

Question about the M1A

I "grew up" on the M16A1 and then carried an M4 on my Iraq tour..but always loved the M1 and by extension the M14. This brings me to my question about the Springfield M1A.....How much of the rifle is made in Brazil? I'm assuming if the Springfield 1911's come from the "land of the thong"(nothing against thongs!)the M1A must also. Educate me guys!
    Last edited by JD; March 12th, 2010 at 11:23 AM.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

2. Remove Ads

Can't say about current production. Mine is a really old one with serial number 004XXX on its receiver. It may predate Springfield, Genesco Illinois and have been made in Devine, Texas. Other than its receiver it is completely made of U.S. G.I. parts.

I don't know how much of it is made in Brazil but I do know that I do love my Springfield Armory M1A and it ain't going nowhere. Runs like a top and shoots like a dream.

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    This is still be best combat system made. I have 7 AR's but my go to is a SOCOM16 that I have pics of in another thread on this site.

I have a Chinese-made copy of the Springfield Armory M1A, and am very happy with it. All parts and components are completely interchangeable. It is made by Norinco if you want to look it up on line.

It fires a .308 Winchester (7.62 NATO, or 7.62 X51 if you prefer) round, which is only slightly weaker than the 30-06.

I have 20 round magazines which can be changed out when the gun needs to be reloaded, but you can also load through the chamber area with stripper clips or with your fingers one round at a time.

The feeding mechanism is similar in some ways to the M1 Garand, although that rifle only loaded 8 rounds from the top in a special kind of clip that automatically ejects when the gun is shot on the last round.

The butt-stock of my gun folds up, and there are cleaning supplies that fit in the stock.

This gun is very heavy, but it is a joy to shoot and is quite accurate (for me) out to 750 yards if I'm shooting center mass on a standard Colt Silhouette target. I've had other people do much better with this gun than I do, as I'm not quite the rifleman that some of my friends are.

There is a scope mount available, and my gun has a standard military flash suppressor with a bayonet lug underneath. The weapon is parkerized, and the stock appears to be walnut.

I will post a picture of this gun in the near future.

All my best,

---Kevin

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    There is an M1A Scout Squad somewhere in my (near ) future...........

I will get the Sadlak mount--thinking about a Leupold 3x9 scope.........
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Links