Question on Remington 870 Bead & Sighting

This is a discussion on Question on Remington 870 Bead & Sighting within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Okay, hate to ask this and display ignorance, but here goes. I recently picked up an 870 pump. Now in the past all my shotguns ...

Thread: Question on Remington 870 Bead & Sighting

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

Okay, hate to ask this and display ignorance, but here goes. I recently picked up an 870 pump. Now in the past all my shotguns had a bead and only a bead. This has a square pedestal upon which the ol'familar bead sits. So, when you aim do you see the pedestal or should you only see the bead?

On my regular shotguns, you saw the bead or bead + barrel which mean't you were likely shooting "over" your target.

I've only had this to the range once just to shoot a few rounds. I'm taking her out again Friday but was curious?

And while we're at it, has anyone tried the XS big dot that you simply bond over the OEM bead and pedestal? If so, how do you like it and what did you use to bond it?

Thanks
    Gideon

Good question...I am not an 870 expert. Sure somebody will come up with your answer. That would probably be a Sixto question...he seems to be an avid shotgunner.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Administrator
    My answer is not a clear cut one. But here it is anyway.

A shotgun is not shot like a rifle (Unless we are talking slugs, but that is another subject) Therefore, the sight is not used like a rifle's sights. On a shotgun, the sight is more of a reference point than anything else. Giving the wide variety of ammunition, conditions and choke it is impossible for me to tell you exactly how to use the bead on your shotgun. You do not adjust the sight on a shotgun to have an exact known point of impact like you would a rifle.

It also matters a great deal if this is a bird/clay gun or HD type of shooting.
    A defensive shotgun is shot a little more like a rifle, but experimentation is still needed to learn the particular load and set up you are using.

The best advice I can give is to experiment with the load you are going to use, and learn how the shotgun patterns. Just as a starting point, I would use the base of the bead like you would the front sight of a pistol and work from there.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I agree with Sixto, best bet is to just practice and figure out what works for you best.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

VIP Member
    What is the barrel length?

If it's a shortie the bead has to be higher to compensate for the shorter barrel. Otherwise you'll find you're shooting too high.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    What is the barrel length?

If it's a shortie the bead has to be higher to compensate for the shorter barrel. Otherwise you'll find you're shooting too high.
    I was assuming it was an 18" or 20", otherwise the bead would be sitting on the barrel or vent rib.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sponsored Links