Advantages and Disadvantages of Open Carry vs Concealed carry?

This is a discussion on Advantages and Disadvantages of Open Carry vs Concealed carry? within the Featured Topics forums, part of the Welcome To DefensiveCarry.com category; What are the advantages and disadvantages of open carry vs concealed carry? Do open carry laws unnecessarily complicate police interactions? "We're trying as best we ...

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree233Likes

Thread: Advantages and Disadvantages of Open Carry vs Concealed carry?

Administrator

What are the advantages and disadvantages of open carry vs concealed carry?

Do open carry laws unnecessarily complicate police interactions?

"We're trying as best we can as a law enforcement community to make it work so that citizens can express their Second Amendment rights," Brown said at a recent media event. “But it’s increasingly challenging when people have AR-15s slung over their shoulder and they’re in a crowd. We don’t know who the good guy is versus the bad guy when everyone starts shooting.” The War Between Police and the NRA: Open Carry Laws Make Cops' Jobs Virtually Impossible | Alternet
    Even if we as individuals might never choose to open carry, should we be supportive of open carry laws ? Why? Why not?
    Follow DefensiveCarry.com on Facebook!

Personally in an urban environment I prefer concealed carry just to avoid a possible MWAG call or of some hoplophobe injuring themselves running away in sheer terror. I do believe if more people open carried more people may warm up to the idea that “Yes Virginia, people do carry guns”. As far as the police, as long as you do not appear to be a threat and remain calm there should be no reaction.
    Cricket, sammeow, rocky and 11 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    Hóka-héy! Crazy Horse

I feel safer CC than OC, less of a target on me.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2375
Size:  30.3 KB
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Advantages >> comfort, access, not worrying about printing...

Disadvantages >> 911 calls, nervous nellies, Leo encounters, obvious target when shtf...

Open carry would be a painful transition in my state....
    If I could only have one pistol, the hole in the end would be at least .451"....

NRA, ISRA, SAF... Vet.. Former LEO... Current Illinois Concealed Carry Permit Holder....

Distinguished Member
    Norm Stamper, a 34-year veteran police officer and former chief of the Seattle police department, says open carry can add an element of confusion to police work, hampering suspect IDs at crucial moments.

“The difficulty [of] distinguishing a law-abiding gun owner from one who is about to, or has committed, or is [in the act of] committing a violent crime is oftentimes impossible to determine” when multiple people on the scene are openly carrying weapons, Stamper told me. “Even the best, most intuitive, calmest, most professional police officers are not mind readers. Until somebody engages in some form of action, threatening or criminal in nature, the officer has no idea what that person's motive is.”

“Not a single one of these people carrying firearms out there in [Dallas] caught this guy in what he was doing,” Bob Gualtieri, of the Florida Sheriffs Association, told Reuters. “It drained law enforcement resources and subjected citizens to being unnecessarily taken into custody, and I think we should all be very grateful that nobody else got hurt.”

In numerous cases, the “good guy with a gun” theory pushed by the NRA and its adherents has failed to prove itself. Of the many mass shootings that occur in this country every year, it’s extremely rare that an armed citizen saves the day.

I do not see this as a war between Law Enforcement and NRA. And I understand, after Dallas tragedy during the Black Lives Matter protest, how open carry laws hinder the jobs of our Law Enforcement officers. Ironically every day I choose to carry, I pray, I recognize to myself that I am not carrying to save the day. I am carrying to protect my family and myself first and foremost. Personally I choose concealed. I do however recognize open carry without judgement and feel the more timid people or people with no understanding of open carry are exposed to it the less evil it will appear with time.

I have little patience for Political Correctness. Even less patience for those who wish to impose another amendment to our 2nd amendment.We have talked about these issues before here.

The problem with these valid points shared by our Law enforcement officers is the complete lack of honor today. Wars are fought without honor where terrorism is involved. Bad people committing bad acts with weapons have no honor. I can only speak for myself and hope the same is true for my children. If I were ever in a crowd & pulled to the side and detained by law enforcement, while carrying concealed or open, my personal utmost respect for Law Enforcement would result 99% in a positive outcome. I cannot say the same for a scenario where there is an active shooter & I have made the decision to bring out my defensive weapon in an attempt to take out the bad person to protect life. By fault of my own I admit while training I have never placed myself as falsely appearing to be the bad guy by Law Enforcement. I have always seen myself as appearing to only be a helpful person in the fight against a bad guy with law enforcement(15%) or law enforcement is not yet present(85%), in my scenarios of training. I now need some additional focus and training towards this.

If law enforcement were on stage I would not be looking to aid them unless the situation turned needing my action. If law enforcement were not on stage during a life threatening act my action may come into the act as needed taking everyone's safety into account. With this article, now I have much more to consider.

This should be a great discussion here.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne
    NRA member 18 yrs.

Senior Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    Open carry doesn't appear to be an issue in AZ.
    I regularly open carried in and around Phoenix for the 10 years I lived there, no issues.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by patkelly4370 View Post
    Open carry doesn't appear to be an issue in AZ.
    I regularly open carried in and around Phoenix for the 10 years I lived there, no issues.

But now with an increase in mass shootings? Do open carry laws unnecessarily complicate police interactions?
    gatorbait51 and Goldy49 like this.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne
    NRA member 18 yrs.

Senior Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rcsoftexas View Post
    But now with an increase in mass shootings? Do open carry laws unnecessarily complicate police interactions?
    No.
    I believe the number of "mass shootings" has decreased but sensationalized reporting has increased.

Back to beating this horse again.
    Shoot - Don't Talk
    Beware of man with one gun.
    Remember the first rule of gun fighting ... have a gun."
    Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he will just kill you
    What's in my holster? It's a Bersa
    Certified Armed Itralian

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveCarry View Post

What are the advantages and disadvantages of open carry vs concealed carry?

Do open carry laws unnecessarily complicate police interactions?

Even if we as individuals might never choose to open carry, should we be supportive of open carry laws ? Why? Why not?
    It is very important that we must be supportive of any and all laws concerning our freedoms, especially these days when the government is trying to disarm the people. IMHO we have already given up too many rights.

As with any issue, it only becomes an issue when we make it one. Viva the 2A.
    USN 69-83
    Of all the advice I've ever gotten, the best is what I never listened to, except for when my Grandpa told me,
    "if your gonna be dumb, then you better be tough!"

In numerous cases, the “good guy with a gun” theory pushed by the NRA and its adherents has failed to prove itself. Of the many mass shootings that occur in this country every year, it’s extremely rare that an armed citizen saves the day.
    Could this be because most, if not all, of those mass shootings occur in 'gun free' zones, where law abiding gun owners do not carry their weapons?

I would like someone to name a single mass shooting where someone that was open carrying complicated matters. I think that is utter bull crap. I'm am open carry advocate but I think there are buttheads that take it to extremes. However, If Obama gets his way and turns America into a third world war zone like he is trying to do, open carrying an AR might become common place.
    Be polite, be professional but have a plan to kill everyone that you meet. General James "Mad Dog" Mattis USMC

A .380 in your pocket is better than a 45 in your truck.

Distinguished Member Array kukla's Avatar
    This should be a great discussion here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadwood View Post
    Back to beating this horse again.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"

I own a retail business in NC. Our clientele spans the entire U.S. socio-economic spectrum as well as vacationers from around the world. I, my wife, and my staff are constantly in the public eye. That is why I choose CC over OC. As I have noted here before, we all CC all day-every day. Additionally, I pay for my staff's CCW training and they get paid time off to do so.

Every time (yes, every single time) someone comes into my store OCing, the other customers take notice and react according to their own beliefs. Those with an anti beliefs avoid the person OCing and some have come up to me or my staff telling us that there's a guy/gal over there with a gun! A few strike up a conversation with the person OCing, and most just seem to ignore them. The irony is that those who inform us of the gun have absolutely no idea that we are armed as well.

Those that OC have the right to do so in NC. Just know that everybody else takes note.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links