Purpose built AR's

Purpose built AR's

This is a discussion on Purpose built AR's within the Featured Topics forums, part of the Welcome To DefensiveCarry.com category; It seems that fairly often, questions pop up on the forum asking what sort of mods should be made (or what kind of AR rifle ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Purpose built AR's

Senior Moderator

Purpose built AR's

It seems that fairly often, questions pop up on the forum asking what sort of mods should be made (or what kind of AR rifle should someone get), and typically, the answer is: it depends. The AR family of rifles is pretty versatile, and can be configured for a wide range of roles. From home defense and duty weapons, to competition rifles, to varmint hunting rifles and range plinkers. It helps to have an idea of what sort of rifle you want, before you start spending money on doo-dads that you may, or may not need. Below I have outlined three of the rifles I have built, all of which have slightly different roles.

All of these rifles do share these common traits:
    5.56 chamber
    1:7 twist
    F marked front sight base
    DI gas system
    Forged lower
    A3 style upper
    HPI/MPT Bolt
    Chrome lined bore & chamber
    M-16 style BCG
    Forward assist
    BCM mod 4 charging handle
    Rail section at 10" for mounting a WML

Purpose built AR's-ars.jpg

First up (top) is a lightweight urban rifle build. Which I would consider a solid 0-200 yard rifle, good for home defense, really quick to get on targets close in. The upper is a 14.5" BCM BFH mid-length lightweight upper, with a permanently attached Daniel Defense muzzle device to get it to legal length. It has a Larue tactical non-folding BUIS (if you don't need to fold the BUIS down for clearance, why have a folding one?), which I generally like, but would prefer if it had an elevation adjustment. The Aimpoint H-1 2MOA sight is light weight, minimal bulk, quick to acquire, and has a long enough battery life I can leave it turned on for years. Another BCM gunfighter stock, and a PNT trigger help round out the package. This rifle is all about being light and fast on target.

The next (middle) build is what I would consider an all around rifle, or maybe a 3 yard to 400 yard rifle. The upper is a PSA mock dissipator, with a rifle length handguard, but mid length gas system and 16" barrel. It currently has a grip pod on it, but I also usually use this rifle for 3 gun matches, so that gets replaced with a standard VFG. I like the mock dissipator style for the ability to mount things like lights really far out, and get the longest sight radius possible. The Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4x is a touch slower than something like an Aimpoint for really close in, but is a much better choice for close in and really far out. It also has a BCM gunfighter stock (my current favorite for collapsible stocks), and an ALG ACT trigger. This rifle often also has a VTAC sling on it. The Magpul BUIS fits under the scope, out of the way unless I need it. I'm a big fan of this rifle, it is sort of my "jack of all trades" AR, it may not excel in everything an AR can do, but it can do all of those things pretty well.

The final rifle is a 20" build with a fixed stock, something I feel like I don't see a lot of in the civilian world. The length on this rifle makes it less than ideal for clearing houses (although you can do it), but gives me a bit of a velocity and accuracy advantage at longer ranges than a 16" barrel. The upper is another BCM, with a government profile, and rifle length gas system. It also has a grip-pod, for stabilizing from prone/supported positions, and a BCM PNT trigger. I am still toying with the optic on this one, with it currently wearing a Bushnell 1-4x FFP scope. The scope has a lot of solid features on it for the price, and the BDC seems to work well at 4x (although is too small to use as anything other than a dot at 1x), and it illuminates. I am thinking about going with something like a 1-6x Vortex Strike Eagle next, to get a bit more magnification for longer distance. I like the solid feel of a fixed stock, plus it doesn't pull my beard hair out while I shoot, but individuals with smaller statures may have problems shouldering a gun with a fixed stock. This rifle also has an elevation adjustable Matech rear sight, for when I want to shoot adjustable irons. This rifle would be something like a 10-500 yard rifle (depending on target size of course).

So, what kind of purpose built ARs do you have? Did you build them with an intended role in mind?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I dont publishe what I may or may not have

But if I did have some it would be these purpose built

1. Colt SP1 sporter ..It was the CAR15 of the AR family very light and handy very old school ..Simply to a T and works
    2. Colt HBAR match ..Not light and handy but very good for long range and heavy fire
    3. And of course a Colt Canda AR15 cause how often do you see made in Canada on a AR ( and yes these are out there and they are not NFA just were some weird thing Colt did )
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I build or buy what I'm in the mood for.

I have a 7.5 pistol
    8 inch blackout upper
    9 inch blackout upper
    16 inch blackout on a palmetto
    10.5 inch SBR Suppressed
    14.5 BCM pinned Lightweight rifle for the wife.
    16 BCM RECCE Rifle
    18 DDV7pro

The Next AR I want to get, which will be a while a very long while. will either be an A2 or A3 configuration, or if I find an old Colt SP1. Why because I want a RETRO gun.

and about 7 other rifles from Palmetto, Stag, Sterling Arsenal, Colt, SW
    Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Assistant Instructor @ http://www.green-ops.com/ Located in the Washington D.C. Metropolitan Area "Why should your training be any less special?"

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    I build or buy what I'm in the mood for.

I have a 7.5 pistol
    8 inch blackout upper
    9 inch blackout upper
    16 inch blackout on a palmetto
    10.5 inch SBR Suppressed
    14.5 BCM pinned Lightweight rifle for the wife.
    16 BCM RECCE Rifle
    18 DDV7pro

The Next AR I want to get, which will be a while a very long while. will either be an A2 or A3 configuration, or if I find an old Colt SP1. Why because I want a RETRO gun.

and about 7 other rifles from Palmetto, Stag, Sterling Arsenal, Colt, SW
    Once in a while you will see LEO trade in SP1 come up ..At one point SP1 police guns were like 800 bucks or so ...Some though were mix masters or have small parts missing though worked fine
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    Once in a while you will see LEO trade in SP1 come up ..At one point SP1 police guns were like 800 bucks or so ...Some though were mix masters or have small parts missing though worked fine
    Yeah I missed the boat, defintily not paying this 1966 Colt SP1 AR-15 .223/5.56 AR15 223 : Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com
    Bad Bob likes this.
    Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Assistant Instructor @ http://www.green-ops.com/ Located in the Washington D.C. Metropolitan Area "Why should your training be any less special?"

Senior Moderator
    I like the look for some of the retro guns, I just can't get behind the A1 or A2 style uppers, with fixed carrying handles. While there are optics mounts available, they are all too high to offer a proper cheek weld on a standard stock. I do like the A1 length stock, as the A2 can be a touch long (the magpul fixed rifle stock is actually between the two in LOP).

Next up I want to do a DMR style 18" build, I am still deciding on what upper I want to use, but have the lower already built.
    QKShooter and rocky like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Yeah I missed the boat, defintily not paying this 1966 Colt SP1 AR-15 .223/5.56 AR15 223 : Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com
    Key is the older it is the more pircy it is ..The later 70s guns up to the Sporter 2 era are 1k or so for a non NIB model

Administrator
    This Moderator knows his AR platform rifles intimately.
    If you are new to the AR....pay attention.
    Don't be afraid to ask questions.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array blackhawkfann24's Avatar
    I have been looking for an AR , but I really don't know were to start? What to look for?what makes one more different than the other. I don't get the opportunity to shoot different ones. All I know is the caliber I want 5.56. Other than that they all look the same to me

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by blackhawkfann24 View Post
    I have been looking for an AR , but I really don't know were to start? What to look for?what makes one more different than the other. I don't get the opportunity to shoot different ones. All I know is the caliber I want 5.56. Other than that they all look the same to me
    A lot of them look the same, but have some significant differences internally, that may effect things like longevity of the rifle.

Personally, I would look for rifles that have the traits all of the rifles share listed above. Even within certain price points, there are some big variations in the traits rifles have. I guess the first suggestion I would have is to decide what sort of shooting you want to do with the rifle, and what your budget is for the rifle itself.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Lead Moderator
    I have a few carbines and a AR pistol . No competition shooting with any yet, but they work great for home defense, and around the property. I could push a carbine into service deer hunting , but have bigger caliber rifles for such.
    I always liked the A1 style handguard , but never built one.
    QKShooter likes this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Piecing together my rifle now, what do you suggest for complete uppers? Is PSA good? Spikes?
    "Trample the weak, hurdle the dead"

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ped3612 View Post
    Piecing together my rifle now, what do you suggest for complete uppers? Is PSA good? Spikes?
    A big part of that depends on your price range. Two of the rifles above have BCM uppers, which I would put pretty much at the top of the list.

My competition gun has a PSA upper, but with PSA, you need to pay very close attention to what you are actually buying. They have several different tiers of uppers (PTAC, Freedom, Premium). I generally stick with their premium uppers, which have the traits I described above. Most of the lower end tiers do not have chrome lining for the barrel and chamber, and the fit and finish can be lacking.

Spikes builds a solid upper, if they are selling a configuration that you like.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

I just built this for a truck gun to examine the 16" barrel combined with this fairly new stock for ease of movement in the vehicle. It does make it easier to move in the cab of a truck. The upper and lower are Aero Precision, the stock is from ARC, and the scope is a Hi-Lux 1-4.

Purpose built AR's-img_5693-1-.jpg
    sdprof, Bad Bob and Ocho 1 like this.

Lead Moderator
    I have a few dozen AR's and they each have a purpose. Here's one of them.
    Its short..5" barrel. This one has the Troy collapsible stock.
    It's light.
    It's 9mm and can use the 20 round Colts style mags if you are cramped for space or the longer 32 round mags if you aren't.

It has a single point sling on the stock. You can hang it under your arm and cover it up with a shirt to conceal it if need be.

I chose the Trijicon MRO Rd Dot sight. Although it isnt cheap, you can just leave it on for 5 years and not have to worry about it.

It is an SBR and at 25 yards it will obliterate the bulls eye. At 100 yards it'll put all on a B27 target without much effort. Its small enough to go in a pack or sit on your lap in the truck when times are hard.

I have a 3 lug mount on it for easy on/off of a suppressor.

I love this little gun.

Another pic shown with a standard AR for size comparison.

Universal Background Checks...the next step towards registration and confiscation.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links