New FFL Forum

This is a discussion on New FFL Forum within the FFL Dealer Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The good folks at DC have added this forum so FFL Dealers, Pawns, Gun manufacturers and Ammunition makers have a place to discuss FFL issues. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: New FFL Forum

VIP Member

New FFL Forum

The good folks at DC have added this forum so FFL Dealers, Pawns, Gun manufacturers and Ammunition makers have a place to discuss FFL issues. This is the place for members to ask about how to become and FFL. It is also a good place to discuss ATF regulations, State laws, straw purchases, etc. C&R discussion is also welcome here.

Hotguns is the moderator of this new forum. He is an excellent choice since he is an 07 FFL firearms manufacturer.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Are you sure?

Actually, I think its a great idea.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

welcome from okl.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JDlewis View Post
    welcome from okl.
    We're off to a great start!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Are you sure?

Actually, I think its a great idea.

Yes,
    You are the perfect choice to moderate this forum. I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures of any of your recent builds too.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Nice! I've been an 07 FFL Class 2 SOT since 2006.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Nice! I've been an 07 FFL Class 2 SOT since 2006.
    Hi Tubby45,

Glad to see you here. I have missed some of the spirited discussions of the past.

I'll go for the first question here. You have an 07. Your license allows you to manufacture firearms, ammo and also deal in either.

why do you suppose anyone would want an 06. It would seem like you would need an 07 just to test ammo. Also, an 06 is not classified as a dealer. How can they sell ammo?
    - Zen Saying

Senior Moderator
    The 06 can deal and reload ammo and sell it. The 06 is specifially for ammunition.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    Hi Tubby45,

Glad to see you here. I have missed some of the spirited discussions of the past.

I'll go for the first question here. You have an 07. Your license allows you to manufacture firearms, ammo and also deal in either.

why do you suppose anyone would want an 06. It would seem like you would need an 07 just to test ammo. Also, an 06 is not classified as a dealer. How can they sell ammo?
    Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I've been away from the forum for a while.

The 06 is a license to manufacture ammunition for sale to others. If you can only make it, but not sell it, what's the point? You don't need an 06 to deal in ammunition, you need an 06 FFL to deal in ammunition that you manufacture. That's the difference. The 06 covers the manufacturing of ammunition components, reloaded ammunition, new ammunition. With the 07, I can do everything the 01 dealer does (sales, transfers, gunsmithing) plus manufacture firearms, plus do everything an 06 manufacturer can do.

With the 07 FFL and Class 2 SOT, I can make and deal with anything except destructive devices or do importing (as a regular course of business). 07/02s are allowed on a case by case basis to import machine guns for R&D purposes.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I've been away from the forum for a while.

The 06 is a license to manufacture ammunition for sale to others. If you can only make it, but not sell it, what's the point? You don't need an 06 to deal in ammunition, you need an 06 FFL to deal in ammunition that you manufacture. That's the difference. The 06 covers the manufacturing of ammunition components, reloaded ammunition, new ammunition. With the 07, I can do everything the 01 dealer does (sales, transfers, gunsmithing) plus manufacture firearms, plus do everything an 06 manufacturer can do.

With the 07 FFL and Class 2 SOT, I can make and deal with anything except destructive devices or do importing (as a regular course of business). 07/02s are allowed on a case by case basis to import machine guns for R&D purposes.
    So tubby45 are you saying an 07/02 is hard to get because thats the one I was wanting to get so I'm pretty much covered on all base's ...and what would be the difference between an 07/02 and an 07/03? If there Is an 07/03,, Please correct me If I'm wrong TIA

Let me Clarify myself lol, I guess what i'm trying to say is I want to get (for lack of better terms)---> The biggest FFL I can get right off the bat! even though I will not be mfg. right at first but I do have machinist friends that I have been working with! I want all my bases covered up front because I have heard If you ever want to change anything on a FFL you have to go through it all over again...Is this true? which leads right Into 2nd part of the question, Say where I first open my store business sucks and i want to move to a new town (more population) How hard is it to amend a FFL? I hope not too confusing because my questions are In 2 different threads sorry
    and one more thing: I am a Corporation If that helps or makes any difference? I saw earlier where some said If you were a Corporation...Thanks

Just want to add a bit: If Tubby45 or Hotguns would be willing to chat with me on the phone I would call you! That way It's on my Dime, Thanks
    Last edited by 4tysmith; February 20th, 2012 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 4tysmith View Post
    Let me Clarify myself lol, I guess what i'm trying to say is I want to get (for lack of better terms)---> The biggest FFL I can get right off the bat! even though I will not be mfg. right at first but I do have machinist friends that I have been working with! I want all my bases covered up front because I have heard If you ever want to change anything on a FFL you have to go through it all over again...Is this true? which leads right Into 2nd part of the question, Say where I first open my store business sucks and i want to move to a new town (more population) How hard is it to amend a FFL? I hope not too confusing because my questions are In 2 different threads sorry
    and one more thing: I am a Corporation If that helps or makes any difference? I saw earlier where some said If you were a Corporation...Thanks

Just want to add a bit: If Tubby45 or Hotguns would be willing to chat with me on the phone I would call you! That way It's on my Dime, Thanks

4tysmith: If you think that you will want to assemble/mfgr weapons, and have the ability to do so with NFA items, type07/Class2 is the way to go. If you go type 01/class3 then decide to build, it's a "do-over".

There is just more paperwork with type 07 -- Annual Mfg reports [ATF 5300.11] on April 1st [even if zero are built], etc. But the initial cost is $150 v. $200 for type01, and the renewal is marginally more $150/3yrs v. $90/3 years., But it is much more flexible. NOTE: Mfgrs fall under the International Traffic in Arms Regulations. It essentially says that you have a $2250/yr fee to the State Dept. They did it to help keep military secrets from being exported and such. Haven't known of anyone getting hit with it, but it is a possibility in the future.

As to change of address-- look at 478.52 in the Federal Forearms Regulation Reference Guide -- All that you have to do is complete a form 5300.38 at least 30 days before the move....the current license duration will still stand...ie: if you have 6 mo. left on your current license, you still renew in 6 mos...it doesn't start your currency of license over for 3 years.

Hope this helps....

Tod
    4tysmith likes this.

Ok Thanks Tod, And In being labeled a Mfg. I can still Operate as a fully functional gun store and sell anything I want/and build my own/ everything that goes with Type 01?
    And On to 07/03 that would mean could also do DD? I getting it slowly lol..I just want to make sure all bases are covered the 1st time because the less i can deal with the Fed/Gov the better don't want to have to go back and keep amending! Any Other knowledge Is welcome also even If you think I may not need to know it! I would like to know FFL Inside and Out before I apply..Right Now I am leaning towards 07/02 or Possibly 07/03 Thanks again Tod,

Just wanted to add That I am reading the ATF site also but some stuff In there lingo I need to question!
    I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. -Thomas Jefferson

So tubby45 are you saying an 07/02 is hard to get because thats the one I was wanting to get so I'm pretty much covered on all base's ...and what would be the difference between an 07/02 and an 07/03? If there Is an 07/03,, Please correct me If I'm wrong TIA
    An FFL is not hard to get provided you meet the requirements. What is more difficult to meet is the zoning requirements because being a manufacturer means your proposed business premises must be zoned as light industrial. Some locations you can get this waived if you also sell retail on premises. Let's say you rent a storefront in a strip mall that's zoned for retail. If you manufacture something and sell it "up front" retail in your store, the municipality will waive the zoning.

There is no such thing as an 07/03. 03 SOT is the dealer SOT and you must be a dealer, 01 or 02 FFL, to be an 03 SOT. If you're an 07 FFL and want to be an SOT, you can only get the 02 SOT, manufacturer, which also allows you to deal. 01 SOT is importer, 02 is manufacturer, and 03 is dealer. The SOT class matches with your FFL type. Importer with importer, manufacturer with manufacturer, and dealer with dealer.

Let me Clarify myself lol, I guess what i'm trying to say is I want to get (for lack of better terms)---> The biggest FFL I can get right off the bat! even though I will not be mfg. right at first but I do have machinist friends that I have been working with! I want all my bases covered up front because I have heard If you ever want to change anything on a FFL you have to go through it all over again...Is this true?
    Yes, you'll have to go through the FFL application process again for the new FFL type. There is no "upgrade", etc. This is generally streamlined though. Just contact your local ATF and give them a heads up on what you want to do. I started out as an 06 FFL, then got an 07 FFL and dropped the 06 (because I can do everything an 06 can with the 07). I didn't need prints or mugs, just sent a letter stating my current 06 FFL information, what I was doing with regard to obtain an 07 FFL and I got the 07 FFL in my mailbox in less than 4 weeks.

which leads right Into 2nd part of the question, Say where I first open my store business sucks and i want to move to a new town (more population) How hard is it to amend a FFL? I hope not too confusing because my questions are In 2 different threads sorry
    Change of address is easy. It's an Amendment form and is to be submitted at least 30 days prior to the change, so the ATF can issue a new license with the updated address on it. Then you surrender your old FFL with the old address. You'll have the same exact FFL number, just the different address.

I'm an LLC, basically a hybrid corporation. Doesn't make much difference as the corporation will be the FFL and you, personally, will not be. All this really means is if you want to buy a personal gun, you'll have to run a 4473 on yourself just like any customer because you don't have the FFL, the corporation does.

Later this week I'll be available to chat if it's easier talking than typing.
    4tysmith likes this.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

You bring up one of the strangest things in regard to this whole process! :)

If you are a type01 and want to get your SOT, it's known as a class 3
    If you are a type07 and want to get your SOT, it's known as a class 2

Both "classes" are the same thing...NFA items...but it a class 3 with type01, and known as class 2 with a type 07.

Welcome to the world of dealing with the feds!

I am by no means an expert, but have learned a lot in the process and am willing to share any knowledge that still resides in my limited mental capacity!
    4tysmith likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links