Getting a FFL

This is a discussion on Getting a FFL within the FFL Dealer Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The fingerprint cards come in the FFL application packet....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Getting a FFL

The fingerprint cards come in the FFL application packet.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

2. Remove Ads

Just got calling the FFL and getting my packet

Damn, I had no idea I had to get zoning permissions business license, LLC and stuff to get the FFL out of my house... geez!

I'm lost now...

I have to get permission from my community to conduct this from my house as well? I doubt they'll say yes... lol :(

Whats the time frame on getting the packet from the FFL. What should I expect or what happens when I do send it in?

Takes maybe a week or two to receive from the ATF. Then fill it out, send one copy to your CLEO and the other to the ATF with prints and mugs and the check for the FFL fee. If you are a corporation or LLC, send along proof of existence (copy of your form from the state) to the ATF. Get any local licensing before you send it in and include copies for the ATF.

The ATF will contact you and set up an appointment to conduct a premises inspection. They will go over the requirements of being an FFL. Once those are satisfied, they will notify the licensing center to issue the license, which will be in your mailbox about 2-3 weeks after the premises inspection.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Question why

Quote Originally Posted by NikonMan View Post
    I believe you misread my statement. I take the firearm to a brick and mortar store, transferring to the STORE. The store then transfers to the new owner. No violations at all.
    Then what was the use of getting the license If you have to take it to another shop. Like the gentleman said it's illegal to take it to another gun shop and I'm not sure about taking it to a grocery store parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    You only get 2 cards in the packet do you just order more as you need them

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post

It depends on each municipality in a small town if a little money changes hands you never know. Hate to say it but its true.

Quote Originally Posted by rylayne49 View Post
    FP cards are for the FFL application. If you're doing NFA transfers, you need to request them from the ATF website.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Getting a FFL

I'm in the process of getting everything in place to apply for FFL 07. The whole business is contingent on receiving the license.

My question is this... I have a detached workshop that I intend to convert for the business. I don't want to go to the expense of doing so in the event I am denied a license (I don't anticipate an issue, but you never know). Will ATF agent want to see/inspect the proposed area for compliance during the sit down interview?

Thanks!

Senior Moderator
    My question is this... I have a detached workshop that I intend to convert for the business. I don't want to go to the expense of doing so in the event I am denied a license (I don't anticipate an issue, but you never know). Will ATF agent want to see/inspect the proposed area for compliance during the sit down interview?

Maybe..depends on the agent. Mine didnt. You being in Illinois, I'd bet the answer would be yes.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

The ATF is not cracking down on home-based FFL's. I just received my home-based FFL two weeks ago and told the in-house inspector guy that my couch was my place of business and his response was "okay". I do not carry inventory yet, but plan too within the year. My main source of income will be doing transfers.

Tredd Barton
    Washington County Guns and Suppressors LLC
    FFL 01, Lifetime NRA, 10th Mountain Infantry Division (peace time), Licensed Skydiver

Forgot the fingerprint question.. I simply went down to the local police booking center and asked to be finger printed for an ATF application (which was true). They charged me $15 and handed me exactly the fingerprint cards I needed for the FFL application. I asked for another copy for my Florida Conceal Permit that I was also applying for, which they gave me for free.

Don't forget the commerical insurance, I wouldn't do any business without it. Minimum coverage should be 1 million per occurance.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links