Logging frame into Bound Book

This is a discussion on Logging frame into Bound Book within the FFL Dealer Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm a new FFL. Came across this situation: Received a 1911 frame (only). Tag from Caspian says, ".45 cal." I plan on producing a gun ...

Thread: Logging frame into Bound Book

Logging frame into Bound Book

I'm a new FFL. Came across this situation: Received a 1911 frame (only). Tag from Caspian says, ".45 cal." I plan on producing a gun with a .22LR caliber. How is this logged in and out? It's really no caliber at all presently.
    Knowledgeable advice would be appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    The frame is the serialized part so that will be logged in, so just log it in as a frame.

In the caliber box you can either put .45 or .22, it dosent matter. When it goes out, just log it out as the caliber that it left at and its all good.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Thanks, HotGuns. What you explained is pretty much what I was going to do but was just hesitating because the frame tag was marked .45 auto and wondered about signing it out as a .22LR. Caspian should really leave that caliber off the tag because there are so many other calibers that could be put on that frame. I've already built (for myself before I got an FFL so I didn't have to worry about the BB) a .45, a .38 Super, a 9mm, a .400 Cor-Bon and a .38-.45 Clerke. Thre were Essex frames, one was a Foster and one was a Caspian but none had the tag. Now that I'm an FFL I have to worry about tags....! :)

Senior Moderator
    I dont worry about tags anymore, I just got a different safe. All the guns I take in go into that safe, so I dont have to mix them up with my own guns.

It just simplifies things. Plus, another safe is a tax writeoff.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

VIP Member
    Hotguns,<BR>I'm an 01 FFL. I know you are an 07 but I also see an 02. Is that 02 as in Pawn? <BR><BR>Here is Missouri there is no requirement to tag any firearm or keep personal firearms separate from inventory though it is recommended by ATF. The only personal guns near my stock is what I wear on my hip and keep in my pocket. There is no Federal requirement for a safe and no state requirement either. ATF only says to make sure you have a good supply of cable locks in order to meet their requirement. It is of course recommended to secure your firearms.<BR><BR>I knew of a small local GS where the owner and his partner took all their guns home every night. Someone was casing him and he got robbed of most of his guns as they were loading the guns into their van.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Senior Moderator
    The 02 is the class of SOT, which allows me to buy,sell or manufacture SBR's,SBS's,AOW's and Suppressors as well as Select Fire weapons,also mistakenly called "Class 3" stuff.
    The "Class 3" is actually the class of SOT that allows anyone that is an FFL to sell the above stuff or deal in it. Most manufacturers of stuff have your SOT on file before they will even send you anything.
    You could actually be a SOT, all you have to do is pay the yearly fee to the ATF.

A safe isnt actually required, but I have two. Its just a good idea and it gives me some peice of mind knowing that some of the exotic stuff that I go through stays locked up.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Links