Class 3 license

Class 3 license

This is a discussion on Class 3 license within the FFL Dealer Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My dad asked me to check into the class 3 license for him. I don't think he wants to go into business, he's a collector. ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By HotGuns
  • 1 Post By HotGuns
  • 1 Post By GrandBob
  • 1 Post By HotGuns
  • 1 Post By 4tysmith

Thread: Class 3 license

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar

Class 3 license

My dad asked me to check into the class 3 license for him. I don't think he wants to go into business, he's a collector. What he really wants is to own the guns he had in Vietnam. An M16 and M60 would most likely be displayed next to the pictures of him qualifying on one. How difficult is the process and does anyone have any information I could give him?
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Senior Moderator
    The ATF will not approve a "Class 3" for a personal collection, you must do it for a business.

The application specifically states that if you are not in it for the profit, that it will not be approved, so tell him that he can forget that idea.

Now, if he wants to set up and become a dealer, thats another thing, but first you get the FFL which is 200 bucks for 3 years, and then you get the SOT,(special occupational taxpayer) which in his case is 500 a year.

As a dealer, he could pretty much get what he wants, but be advised that vintage grade M-16's are going anywhere from 15-30K depending on where you are at. M-60's I have seen from 35-50K.

The process is not difficult, but when the ATF comes to interview for the liscense one thing that they do check is to make sure you arent getting one for the reasons you described.
    QKShooter likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Thank you Hotguns. Do you know if there is a legal way for a regular citizen to own an automatic weapon without being a dealer and having a class 3 license?

Senior Moderator
    Actually, you can, IF it is legal in your state.

The process is not difficult.

You find the weapon you want and you generally pay up front to the dealer that has it. He helps you fill out a "Form 4", you get the CLEO to sign it, get two sets of fingerprints, get a citizen ship form, tape two 2x2 pictures on each form(its done in duplicate) send it along with a 200 transfer fee to the ATF, wait 6 months, when it comes back approved, your dealer calls you up and tellls you to come get it.

The Machine Gun registry was closed in 1986, so unless he is an LEO or active military it will have to be what is know as a transferable gun, meaning that it was built before 1986.
    Since there is a limited number of those guns, they have gone way up in price.

The 200 tax stamp, is a one time fee that is good for the life of the gun.
    QKShooter likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

That is the information I was looking for. Thanks again!

good forum for info on what you want..

General Class 3 - AR15.COM

Only thing, is I have found AR15.com to be a forum with a high population of idiots and teenaged boys that know only about guns from playing Call of Duty. Lots of bad info there.
    I wouldnt use them as a reference for anything other than entertainment.
    Diddle likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Actually, you can, IF it is legal in your state.

The process is not difficult.

You find the weapon you want and you generally pay up front to the dealer that has it. He helps you fill out a "Form 4", you get the CLEO to sign it, get two sets of fingerprints, get a citizen ship form, tape two 2x2 pictures on each form(its done in duplicate) send it along with a 200 transfer fee to the ATF, wait 6 months, when it comes back approved, your dealer calls you up and tellls you to come get it.

The Machine Gun registry was closed in 1984, so unless he is an LEO or active military it will have to be what is know as a transferable gun, meaning that it was built before 1984.
    Since there is a limited number of those guns, they have gone way up in price.

The 200 tax stamp, is a one time fee that is good for the life of the gun.
    The cut off date for civilian owned NFA was 1986 for machine guns (suppressors, SBS, SBR, AOW can still be manufactured). You have to get a CLEO sign off if you're purchasing it as an individual. If you form a corporation or a trust, then you don't need a sign off.

If your state allows NFA, then form a corp, or have a lawyer who HAS EXPERIENCE in setting up firearms trusts set up your trust.

1) Form Corp or Trust

2) Find NFA of choice, if its out of state then you need to have it shipped to a local NFA FFL (they file a Form 1 which takes 2-3 months to go through)

3) Fill out form 4 and send it in with $200 tax (or $5 tax for SBR,SBS,AOW)

4) Wait 3-6 months for your approval and tax stamp to come back

5) Pick up firearm and Enjoy

Currently Colt M16s are going for $15,000-$22,000. Non-Colt M16s are going for $9,000-$12,000. M60s are $50,000-$70,000.

You can become an 09/01 FFL and purchase NFA manufactured post-86 for 1/10th the price, or become an 07/02 and manufacture your own NFA, but with an 07/02 you have to pay ITAR fees (~$2,500 a year).

Being an 09/01 or 07/02 any MG manufactured post 86 can ONLY be sold to another 09/01 or 07/02, or must be destroyed upon dissolution or revocation of the FFL.

Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    My dad asked me to check into the class 3 license for him. I don't think he wants to go into business, he's a collector. What he really wants is to own the guns he had in Vietnam. An M16 and M60 would most likely be displayed next to the pictures of him qualifying on one. How difficult is the process and does anyone have any information I could give him?
    I know its alittle older post but are you talking FFL 03?? Thats A C&R Licence =I had one for many of years =Type 03 - COLLECTOR OF CURIOS AND RELICS (C&R FFL)
    The arms are limited to what the Feds say but it is quite a long list, you can purchase for YOURSELF, and keep A bound book.
    here is A copy and paste
    What is a Curio & Relic FFL?
    A C&R FFL is a special type of FFL is available to collectors of curio or relic (C&R) firearms. C&R firearms are defined in Title 27, Code of Federal Regulations, Part 478.11 as those "which are of special interest to collectors by reason of some quality other than is associated with firearms intended for sporting use or as offensive or defensive weapons." An application for a C&R FFL is filed using ATF Form 7CR.
    To be recognized by ATF as a C&R firearm, a firearm must fall into at least one of the following three categories:
    1. Firearms which were manufactured more than 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas thereof;
    2. Firearms which are certified by the curator of a municipal, State, or Federal museum which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest; and
    3. Any other firearms which derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, bizarre, or because of their association with some historical figure, period, or event. Proof of qualification of a particular firearm under this category may be established by evidence of present value and evidence that like firearms are not available except as collector's items, or that the value of like firearms available in ordinary commercial channels is substantially less.
    BATF maintains a current list of approved C&R firearms on its web site.
    Licensed collectors (who have been issued a C&R FFL) may acquire C&R firearms in interstate commerce, e.g., via mail or phone order or the Internet, or in person. (This is especially important for collectors of pistols and revolvers since they may not otherwise be acquired outside a collector's state of residence.) However, the selling FFL dealer or collector must have a copy of the buyer's C&R FFL before the C&R firearm can be shipped to the licensed collector. Licensed collectors are not considered to be FFL dealers and have no special privileges concerning non-C&R firearms, nor may they "engage in the business" of regularly selling C&R firearms to persons who do not have an FFL. The purpose of the C&R license is to enable a collector to acquire C&R firearms for his/her personal collection and not to become a firearms dealer.
    Curio & Relic Compliance Inspections:
    "At the election of a licensed collector, the annual inspection of records and inventory permitted under this paragraph shall be performed at the office of the Attorney General designed for such inspections which is located in closest proximity to the premises where the inventory and records of such licensed collector are maintained." ATF 2005 Regulations page 18. (ATF Publication 5300.4) The licensed collector may also elect to have the inspection conducted at their home.

How can I get my Curio & Relic FFL (AKA FFL 03)?
    You must submit an application to the BATF for approval. The application cannot be filled out online. However, you can order the form on line at http://www.atf.gov/dcof/index.htm. It may take several weeks for your application to arrive. After the application is filled out and submitted, it could take another 4-8 weeks for your license to arrive in the mail. (This is time that you could use to start saving up for your first purchases!)

How much does it cost?
    The current cost (August 2009) for your FFL03 is $30 for 3 years. Depening on your local conditions, this license usually pays for itself the first time you use it!

Senior Moderator
    The 03 FFL license is not the same as a Class 3 SOT.

You are talking about the 03 FFL.

An 01 or 02 can get an SOT but it would be an 03 SOT.
    An 07 (manufacturer) gets the 02 SOT.

An 03 FFL is only good for curios and relics and is not good if you want to buy or deal in modern guns.

4tysmith likes this.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Yes Thanks for the Clarity, I pondering my responce this Am on last night post,

Quote Originally Posted by GrandBob View Post
    Only thing, is I have found AR15.com to be a forum with a high population of idiots and teenaged boys that know only about guns from playing Call of Duty. Lots of bad info there.
    I wouldnt use them as a reference for anything other than entertainment.
    I agree with this! Man I joined over there to get some basic ??'s answered and all I got was the Grammar Nazi's and spelling Police! what a bunch of punks
    Diddle likes this.

Military?

Does anybody know the particulars for the purchase of automatic weapons, SBR, suppressors, etc. for active duty military members? I've always heard that it does not require a class 3 FFL, but I've never been able to get details from a reliable source. Any help would be appreciated.

Also, I am not interested in pre-ban weapons, I have a few new weapons in mind. I intend to buy simply for my own entertainment and personal use.

Quote Originally Posted by timjimmy View Post
    Does anybody know the particulars for the purchase of automatic weapons, SBR, suppressors, etc. for active duty military members? I've always heard that it does not require a class 3 FFL, but I've never been able to get details from a reliable source. Any help would be appreciated.
    If you can somehow order it through your unit, you could probably posses it, I highly doubt it though. Talk to your CO.

Quote Originally Posted by timjimmy View Post
    Also, I am not interested in pre-ban weapons, I have a few new weapons in mind. I intend to buy simply for my own entertainment and personal use.
    Then you need to get an 07/02

Sponsored Links