Merchant Fraud Awarness - Takeover Targets

This is a discussion on Merchant Fraud Awarness - Takeover Targets within the FFL Dealer Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; These are in fact the two main problems. The thieves are protected and the banks actually make money from fraud. The merchant loses. The banks ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Merchant Fraud Awarness - Takeover Targets

Sponsor
    These are in fact the two main problems. The thieves are protected and the banks actually make money from fraud. The merchant loses. The banks and thieves are happy.

1. The Issuing Banks have no incentive to prevent fraud since they are able to turn the merchant into the victim.

2. An LA FBI Internet Fraud Agent told me they would not touch a case under Seven figures and the thieves know this.

http://www.topgunsupply.com - Factory Authorized SIG Sauer Parts Distributor, Magazines, Holsters, Night Sights, Firearms

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    Speaking as a customer, these 2 practices will anger me enough to take my purchases elsewhere. I often pay higher dollar purchases by cash or personal check.

If the merchant swipes my card and then asks for a photo ID, I'll just cancel the transaction and walk out. I'm more concerned with having my identity stolen from your business because you collect personal information that is not relevant or required for the transaction. In short, I don't trust your business to safe guard the information, and I don't trust your employees behind the counter with my personal information.
    Merchant agreements forbid the asking for ID by the merchant; with few exceptions. Airlines are required to verify the ID of the
    passengers and I think the Patriot Act requires hotels and motels to verify ID. Ordinary consumer services should
    never be asking for a second ID, and I, as CTR will usual refuse, ask to speak with a supervisor, then take my business elsewhere.

I also go on-line and report the merchant violation to the card company.

There is another place where I am asked for information, apparently required by FTC regulations, and it opens everyone
    to ID theft. The so called Red Lock Rules or Red Flag Rules. Designed to prevent fraud, they actually require many small
    offices to collect information which if compromised can lead to ID theft.

We have a huge problem with the manner of issuance and use of Social Security Numbers and Credit Card Numbers.
    Neither problem is insurmountable, but we are tolerant of a certain amount of background fraud and theft.

I don't have an answer. Don't like much of what Sig250 suggests, but I certainly see where he is coming from and
    do have sympathy for the legitimate merchants caught in the middle.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Merchant agreements forbid the asking for ID by the merchant; with few exceptions. Airlines are required to verify the ID of the
    passengers and I think the Patriot Act requires hotels and motels to verify ID. Ordinary consumer services should
    never be asking for a second ID, and I, as CTR will usual refuse, ask to speak with a supervisor, then take my business elsewhere.

I also go on-line and report the merchant violation to the card company.

There is another place where I am asked for information, apparently required by FTC regulations, and it opens everyone
    to ID theft. The so called Red Lock Rules or Red Flag Rules. Designed to prevent fraud, they actually require many small
    offices to collect information which if compromised can lead to ID theft.

We have a huge problem with the manner of issuance and use of Social Security Numbers and Credit Card Numbers.
    Neither problem is insurmountable, but we are tolerant of a certain amount of background fraud and theft.

I don't have an answer. Don't like much of what Sig250 suggests, but I certainly see where he is coming from and
    do have sympathy for the legitimate merchants caught in the middle.
    I don't know where you are getting your information. It is BS. Perhaps you could site a Visa/Mastercard Merchant rule, a state statue (any state will do) or a Federal law that prevents merchants from requesting positive identification for ANY transaction, even cash.

The merchant, at is sole discretion can deny service to Anyone. No shirt, no shoes, No service, no ticky, no washy, etc. the only exception is where a denial of service is based on civil rights and then only if specifically related to race. It is in fact not illegal to deny service to a person based on religion or in some cases, simply his looks. Most merchants will not serve persons wearing ski masks or vail that do not allow the merchant to see the face of person they are serving.

There is absolutely nothing that precludes a merchant from requiring positive identification in the form of a drivers license, a state issued picture Id or other valid ID requested before accepting a sale. The merchant may also ask Any person to leave his premise for Any reason.

The buyer, in turn is not obligated to furnish requested positive identification but should expect that he will walk out the door (or asked to leave) without service or merchandise from the seller.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Merchant agreements forbid the asking for ID by the merchant
    You've got it backwards Hopyard. Merchant agreements require the merchant to verify ID, do any do it, no, not really. But it is part of the merchant contract that you must verify ID for everyone using a credit card.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal...

Alabama Constitution of 1901 - That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links