FFL Law Question about Storing Firearm to go into Canada

This is a discussion on FFL Law Question about Storing Firearm to go into Canada within the FFL Dealer Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I do not know much about the FFL laws and this looked like the best place to get an answer. I am going to the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FFL Law Question about Storing Firearm to go into Canada

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar

I do not know much about the FFL laws and this looked like the best place to get an answer.

I am going to the North East and go into Canada. I know I can't take my handgun into Canada. But can I leave my handgun at a Gunshop/FFL in Maine and then pick it up when I come back into the USA? I am not sure of the laws. If the FFL has to log the firearm into his records then I don't see how he can give it back to me since I would be a non resident of Maine when I go back to get it. Is there anyway I can do this legally? I want to do it legally. Nothing under the table. I have heard that there are gun shops along the boarder that do this but you hear all kinds of things on the internet. Thank you for any help you can give someone who just doesn't know the ins and outs of the laws on FFL's.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

What Gary is asking a question? IMHO you are not selling the firearm to the FFL you are bringing it in for cleaning and service so you should have no problem picking it up.

If I may make a suggestion. I am sure that you are going to be staying at a hotel before crossing the boarder. Most hotel have safety deposit boxes behind the front desk that require two keys to open.You fill out the card and get one key and the hotel keys the other just like a bank. Ask the hotel if it would be ok if you were able to keep your alienable in the box for an extra few days. You do not want to bring extra valuables into Canada. Your gun is valuables correct? I did it when I took a cruise out of Port Canvernal,Florida. Came off ship drove 15 minutes back to hotel and loaded up,turned in the key and continued my trip to Disney.

So If I drop My firearm off at a gun shop and told him to clean/lube and I would be back in a week to get it there would be no problem? Hitting myself in the head. I have hand carried 10 or 12 firearms to Novak's (40 Minutes away from me) to have them tuned and never had to fill out any paperwork. I was focused on being Out of State. I like the Clean and Lube better as there are 3 gun shops right where I am planning to cross over into Canada. They would be easy to drop off and pick up. A cleaning job wouldn't hurt it. HA HA. I have never heard of a motel having safety deposit type boxes. I knew most had a motel safe. But individual boxes I had not heard about. Never had reason to keep something in them. That is something else I will check into. Thank you so much. Now if you have a gun law question about carrying in any state I can most likely get you an answer to that question.

I didn't want to call those gun shops without knowing a little about the laws governing that.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

VIP Member
    Garry call the gun stores on the border and asks them if they have a drop off and pick up service.

I thought they might do that as they are on a main road right near the boarder and I figure there are many who need to do just that.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Most larger hotel will have a wall of safety deposit box behind the front desk instead of in room safes.

VIP Member
    I thought they might do that as they are on a main road right near the boarder and I figure there are many who need to do just that.

Gary, I agree but I would still call ahead for peace of mind to to have a contact when you got there. No surprises, enjoy.

I will call and more than one. But thank you all for the info. This is just something I have never done before but have heard a little about. Thank you all again.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

VIP Member
    Glad we can help you for a change.

Last time I drove into Canada I had contacted a gunshop on the border in Michigan,dropped my gun off for cleaning,and picked it up a month later for $25.00 fee
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

$25.00 sounds just great to me. I will check on cleaning or holding. Will take the best deal. Thank you again gentlemen.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Senior Moderator
    There shouldn't be an issue here. The gunshop/gunsmith or whoever has to log in any firearm that they keep for more than 24 hours.

You drop it off, they log it in, they keep it. You come back, they log it out to you, you take it.

They dont have to charge you anything, nor it is a requirement.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slider View Post
    I do not know much about the FFL laws and this looked like the best place to get an answer.

I am going to the North East and go into Canada. I know I can't take my handgun into Canada. But can I leave my handgun at a Gunshop/FFL in Maine and then pick it up when I come back into the USA? I am not sure of the laws. If the FFL has to log the firearm into his records then I don't see how he can give it back to me since I would be a non resident of Maine when I go back to get it. Is there anyway I can do this legally? I want to do it legally. Nothing under the table. I have heard that there are gun shops along the boarder that do this but you hear all kinds of things on the internet. Thank you for any help you can give someone who just doesn't know the ins and outs of the laws on FFL's.

I am an FFL. We do not ship directly to Canada. We do have customers who have made arrangements with businesses in the US who are willing to accept packages and will store their firearms for them. We recently sent a Canadian customer a case of Browning 4 Step Gun Oil. It was paid for using his Canadian Visa card but Delivered to A building Supply company in Wellsley Island, New York. The customer then picked up his order in N.Y. He has no problem taking the oil across the boarder since it is not contraband, just not available in Canada. Reciprocal arrangements between US citizens and our Canadian neighbors is quite common.

You can leave a gun with a business or private resident who is willing to store your rifle or handgun for you. This is a fairly common practice for both Canadians and US Citizens who live near the boarder between the US and Canada.

If you leave a gun with a Licensed FFL or pawn Broker, you must be a resident of the FFL's state or it is an illegal activity for you and the FFL.

There is absolutely no obligation to have an FFL hold your handgun for you. Any private party can do this, some for a small fee and others for free. You own your handgun. It belongs to you and can be stored, traded or sold (within your state if selling) privately by you in most (united) states without an FFL.

EDIT: ADD

What Hotguns mentions about a 24 hour period is in reference to Gun Smithing. 01-FFL dealers can do some gun smithing, bluing, coating, cleaning, etc. Conversely Gun Smiths are also "Dealers" and can buy and sell firearms. The 24 hour clause deals with the amount of time an 01-FFL/Gunsmith Dealer can out source certain gun smithing operations to a non-licensee.

This and all other activities by an FFL require recording the A&D by the end of the following business day. Transfers of ANY type can only be made to a resident of the FFL's state

Gun cleaning done by an FFL is coincided Gun Smithing. Gun smithing and FFL dealer practices are one in the same. They can only be done legally for a person who resides in the FFL's state.

This should not be confused with sending a firearm out of state to an 07-FFL. An 07 is defined as a Manufacture and can repair, clean, preform gun smithing and gun manufacturing. Any non licensee can send a gun out of state to have a manufacture clean or repair it.

It is legal for a non licensee to send a gun to himself in another state. The package should be addressed to the gun owner and by law, the package should not be opened once received by anyone other than the gun owner.

It is also legal for a non licensee to store a gun temporarily out of state with another non licensee. This is not a transfer. No gun smith activity requiring a license takes place and the gun is NOT being sold illegally out of state.

If one does leave a gun with a FFL, it must be recorded as an acquisition by the close of the next business day. Since the FFL can only sell to a resident of the state where the FFL is licensed, accepting a gun from a non licensee from out of state is an illegal activity. This includes gun cleaning unless the FFL is an 07-Manufacture which most retail FFL dealers are not.
    Last edited by SIGP250; December 14th, 2011 at 05:42 AM.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

last time I traveled thru Canada I mailed my handgun to myself in Seward Ak...from Bellingham Wa. We used to be able to seal our handguns thru..but I think the Canadians got tired of accomadating the gun crazy American's driving through...why couldnt it be that easy for you, mail the thing to yourself...to a commercial mailbox box...getting your firearm detail cleaned is an outstanding idea as well....

So it seems that you can't leave it with a gun shop for "cleaning" unless you live in that specific border state .
    Am I correct????
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links