Purchasing a firearm

Purchasing a firearm

This is a discussion on Purchasing a firearm within the FFL Dealer Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a carry permit here in Minnesota. This also allows me to purchase firearms. Now the problem is, I am always "delayed" when the ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By JD
  • 1 Post By SIGP250

Thread: Purchasing a firearm

Purchasing a firearm

I have a carry permit here in Minnesota. This also allows me to purchase firearms. Now the problem is, I am always "delayed" when the dealer calls in to the FBI. What can I do to remedy this situation? Even when I attempt to purchase a long gun such as a Ruger 22 I recently bought. The store never heard back from the FBI so after a week they had to sell me the gun. This is getting to the point of rediculous. I am presently waiting for approval for 2 long guns, both hunting type rifles, but collectables. Can anyone give me some good advice on how to avoid this?
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready" TR

JD
    Administrator
    **Thread moved**

You need to look into getting a "unique identifier"

Where are you purchasing these at?

If you have a common surname like Smith or Johnson (or in Minneysoter, mavbe Olsen or Lundegaard, you betcha) that could be slowing things down. It's also possible - unluckily for you - that you share a name with someone with outstanding warrants or other disqualifying factors.

Call the NICS customer service line at 1-877-324-NICS (6427) and see if there's something they can do for you.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    If you have a common surname like Smith or Johnson (or in Minneysoter, mavbe Olsen or Lundegaard, you betcha) that could be slowing things down. It's also possible - unluckily for you - that you share a name with someone with outstanding warrants or other disqualifying factors.

Call the NICS customer service line at 1-877-324-NICS (6427) and see if there's something they can do for you.
    Great suggestion!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbrow6272 View Post
    I have a carry permit here in Minnesota. This also allows me to purchase firearms. Now the problem is, I am always "delayed" when the dealer calls in to the FBI. What can I do to remedy this situation? Even when I attempt to purchase a long gun such as a Ruger 22 I recently bought. The store never heard back from the FBI so after a week they had to sell me the gun. This is getting to the point of ridiculous. I am presently waiting for approval for 2 long guns, both hunting type rifles, but collectibles. Can anyone give me some good advice on how to avoid this?
    Your dealer should have given you an NICS Resolution card that explains what you can do in case you are erroneously denied or frequently receive extended delays.

I'm attaching a link to the card for you. http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nic...olution-card-1

It explains how to download a Voluntary Appeal File (VAF) application form. Fill out the application and mail it with fingerprint cards (down-loadable with the application form) to the FBI Criminal Justice Information Services Division’s NICS Section. Once the form is approved it should help to resolve extended delays. You can also call and ask for the VAF packet to be mailed to you by calling: 1-877-FBI-NICS (324-6427)

It sounds like you need to find a different "store."

If the dealer receives no response from NICS regarding a Delay after 3 business days, He can Proceed with the sale or refuse to sell to you, at his sole discretion. Knowledgeable reputable dealers have an obligation to inform you of your rights.

As a customer relations matter, the dealer should at least inform you that NICS did not respond to the Delay. While it is then their business decision to sell or not sell to you after the delay waiting period, a reputable dealer would inform you of their store policy, should they choose not to sell to you after the expiration of a delay waiting period.
    HotGuns likes this.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Links