Suspicious FFL Dealer?

Suspicious FFL Dealer?

This is a discussion on Suspicious FFL Dealer? within the FFL Dealer Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I arranged for an online order to be sent to my local FFL (Texas) and I was told I could come pick it up when ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By SERGU
  • 1 Post By Secret_Storm
  • 2 Post By dhawken

Thread: Suspicious FFL Dealer?

Angry Suspicious FFL Dealer?

I arranged for an online order to be sent to my local FFL (Texas) and I was told I could come pick it up when the order arrived. My order arrived Wednesday, so I called to confirm it and pick it up. When I called I was told to wait to after 10AM the next day and I could come pick it up. I went to pick it up today and was told my order was not "put in the gun book yet". How long does it take to do this? After being lied to twice he assured me it would be ready tomorrow, as I was understandably upset. Should I be worried that something is going on? He did not show me my gun to confirm it was there. Any incite would be appreciated. Thanks

I would be mildly suspicious at this point. I can understand them not wanting you to come in the same day it arrived, due to being busy, lack of personnel, etc. But, going in to pick it up after the time they told you to come, then being told some lame excuse, would have me letting them know I am not a happy camper. I don't know how different the laws are in Texas than in Alabama, but on a recent internet transaction my FFL got the gun in one afternoon, and I picked it up the next day around noon. They did have to enter some information in their computer system about the gun, but that only took a few minutes...then they had run out of forms for the Background check, so had to run to the other store and get some...I just grabbed some lunch while he ran and got the forms. Not a big deal at all. Bascially, they are getting paid $30 to fill out a form and make a phone call. I'd do that all day, every day, for $30 a pop.
    NONAME762 likes this.

i'd be on red alert, did tou call ahead of time to see if they take internet orders?

Cause if you get a dealer thats pissy about not being able to mark up a gun a little and sell it to you I could imagine this happening with internet orders.

This is how I fear my internet transactions will be.

That's what I thought. If it isn't ready tomorrow I'll have them ship it back at their cost, because I have the feeling something's going on. They were not busy at all when I went to pick it up today. I called before I placed my order to make sure and they said it was fine and faxed their FFL info to the online dealer.

BTW, "Welcome to the Forum", from Central Ohio.

When you called did you talk to the same person each time? If it's a small operation, I'd expect better
    service. If it's large,and you talked to more than one person, could be a left-hand/right-hand situation.

Hopefully, there won't be any surprises when you pay the transfer fee.

Thumbs up Update

I called the FFL dealer and asked to speak to the owner, as it was an hour drive away (btw their main business is a pawn shop in a SLOW area and the do very few FFL transfers, which is why I chose them thinking it would be quick). I explained the situation and it turns out his employee did not even bother to check if it was logged in, because it was logged in Wednesday! He apologized profusely and gave me a hefty discount off the transfer fee and I finally took my first handgun home! Thanks for the help everyone.

Glad we could help. Welcome to DC!
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; June 29th, 2012 at 04:55 PM.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

It's always nice to hear when a business owner makes things right.

My FFL dealer calls me as soon as UPS drops it off!
    NONAME762 likes this.

Glad it turned out OK. I disliked a Pawn Shop & never shipped to them again. I ship to a FFl home business & have had no problems. He is on GunsAmerica etc.

Glad that turned out ok. Good lesson that i need reminding of every once in a while - Avoid attributing to malice that which can be explained by incompetence. :)
    Arborigine and NONAME762 like this.

I just came across this and thought I might add my own little 'forever stamp.'
    I do some part time work in a gun shop that is happy to do FFL transfers. And often people wonder why they can't pick up the item that UPS or FedEx's website has been delivered.

Well, to be as consistent as possible, we have one guy that is responsible for FFL transfers; he maintains the FFL Bound Book and we have two people trained as backup in case of emergency. If your package arrives on Monday after that person has left, your transfer won't be entered on our books until some time on Tuesday. After it's logged in, our guy will make a phone call (or email, or whatever method is selected) to the recipient telling him his transfer is ready. He then logs in the next item and makes another phone call.

It's not unusual for a item to arrive after our main guy has left, he works from 8am until about 2pm. It's not an 'emergency' if someone tracked their firearm to the shop and wants to pick it up before it has been logged in. If we haven't contacted you, then your gun isn't ready for pick up.

Those 'little mistakes' someone can easily make with the bound book are ........Expensive, hence why there is one guy responsible.

Sponsored Links