Question Regarding Internet Sales Only FFL

This is a discussion on Question Regarding Internet Sales Only FFL within the FFL Dealer Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; At 54 (Wife 59) I am looking to subsidize my income and I am no position to even think of retirement. The idea of a ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By HotGuns

Thread: Question Regarding Internet Sales Only FFL

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar

At 54 (Wife 59) I am looking to subsidize my income and I am no position to even think of retirement. The idea of a home-based firearms business is calling me but the locals are very unfriendly towards guns as well as home based businesses unless it has something with arts and crafts.

So here is my problem. The Codes and Planning department told me today that any traffic here at the house would be in violation of their zoning ordances. However, if I want to do Internet sales only, I was welcome to do so and had their blessing. This means I can not even transfer a firearm. [No, it can not [SHOULD NOT] be done off-site].

I need a starting place. And Internet sales I can work with until I get enough money to open a store front. (I was told by the codes department that they had no problem with me opening a gun store if it was not in a residential area.)

My question now is, will the BATFE even consider my application for -Internet Sales Only-? I want to make this work but I want to do everything legally and professionaly.

Bottom line, will the BATFE even consider my application for -Internet Sales Only - and how would I put that on my application and would that go under hours of operation?

Thanks for any help here.

Thanks,
    Diddle

ps A request for variance hearing costs, $500.00 with NO guarantee what so ever of the outcome and may open a spewing can of soda on everyone. All of my neighboors have zero issues with this except one. And he is one of those "keep the drapes pulled and spy on anyone/everyone who moves" types. Sneeky type of feller....

Again, Thanks
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Senior Moderator
    I dont know why not. There are lots of people doing it.

The only thing that might hang you up is that they do look into local ordinances to make sure you are in compliance. If there is some local traffic thing going on, you might have to explain it to an examiner when they come to interview you for approval of the FFL.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

If you are a law abiding citizen over 21 years old and comply with any local and state zoning a business license laws, they must issue an FFL.

As HotGuns said, you may have to clarify that you are only doing online sales and no local in person face to face business. For hours of operation you simply pick hours you're spending time on FFL stuff. During the interview they will ask about it and then explain it to them.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Thanks for the input. I guess I will try internet sales and put in some hours that I am normally at home. I think this is more for BATFE/FBI convenience than anything else. A storefront here in this area, even of it a 8x10 office is running $500.00 a month plus utilities. If I can do enough internet sales to in a year to front me the finances to open a store and pay everyting up for 6 or so months, should be good to go. Back in the eighties I nearly losst everything - a lesson that does not have to be learned twice. I'll never barrow money to go into business again. Once things are up and running is a different story however.

Again, thank you all.
    Diddle
    Diddle
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array S&WOwner's Avatar
    I did a quick search (don't even know if any of this is useful) - but it can't hurt to post this link: Kentucky Business One Stop

Just thought I would post an update in seeking my FFL.

ISSUED - City Business License (No walk-in sales - internet only)
    ISSUED - Kentucky Resale Tax certificate
    COMPLETED - Business checking opened and approved.
    PENDING - Credit card processing pending with no minimum sales and no contract
    PENDING - Photos and Finger Printing
    PENDING - Final filing.

I am a bit confused on the finger printing however. I know I have to submit two (2) copies of FD-258 for each responcible party however the applications also references the mandatory use of FBI FD-258FA. Anyone care to educate/correct me on my interpertation of the finger print card filing?

TIA,
    D~
    Diddle
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    If you pay a visit to your local PD or county SO, they should be able to help you prepare the FD-258 fingerprint card correctly... they might ask for a small donation to their charity ball though.

Quote Originally Posted by Diddle View Post
    I am a bit confused on the finger printing however. I know I have to submit two (2) copies of FD-258 for each responcible party however the applications also references the mandatory use of FBI FD-258FA. Anyone care to educate/correct me on my interpertation of the finger print card filing?
    There is no interpretation. FBI FD-258FA needs to be performed. Go to your local police station and tell them you're applying for an FFL and need to be fingerprinted for an FBI background check. They'll take your prints, validate, and you're done.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    There is no interpretation. FBI FD-258FA needs to be performed. Go to your local police station and tell them you're applying for an FFL and need to be fingerprinted for an FBI background check. They'll take your prints, validate, and you're done.
    THANKS! for your input. Reading here o n the right side of the page it says "Two Completed FD–258 (Fingerprint Identification Card) for each Responsible Person (RP) obtained through a local law enforcement agency.

The actual FFL applications instructions say to use FBI FD-258FA as you point out.

If I were to read between the lines, I need to file (1) FBI FD-258FA for each responcible party and (1) FD-258 for each responcible party.

?
    Diddle
    NRA Life Member

Just called the BATFE and here is the deal. FBI FD-258FA is a fingerprint card stamped in the ORI section with:

WVATF1100
    ATF - FFLC
    MARTINSBURG WV

The FD-258 and FBI FD258FA is the same card. However it does not have the origination location pre-stamped on it.

BATFE says the are the same card, one is stamped, the other is not. Submit the stamped card, FBI FD-258FA, for proper processing.
    Diddle
    NRA Life Member

So how did it go, did you have any trouble getting the FFL?

Quote Originally Posted by Diddle View Post
    Just thought I would post an update in seeking my FFL.

ISSUED - City Business License (No walk-in sales - internet only)
    ISSUED - Kentucky Resale Tax certificate
    COMPLETED - Business checking opened and approved.
    PENDING - Credit card processing pending with no minimum sales and no contract
    PENDING - Photos and Finger Printing
    PENDING - Final filing.

TIA,
    D~

Sponsored Links