Pick your class 3 dealers carefully

This is a discussion on Pick your class 3 dealers carefully within the FFL Dealer Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Not many Class 3 people nearby, though I did find one about an hour away. He ordered the suppressor I wanted and we filled out ...

Thread: Pick your class 3 dealers carefully

VIP Member

Not many Class 3 people nearby, though I did find one about an hour away. He ordered the suppressor I wanted and we filled out the paperwork in January. I'm doing mine as a Trust. The first application goes to the Louisiana State Police, they have it about a month doing background approval, then they send it back to the Class 3 guy, to be sent to the Feds.

After a couple of months I hadn't heard anything and contacted my C3 to see if he had gotten my stuff back from LSP. His answer was vague and not definitive, as in "I'll have to check on that?". Never heard back for a couple of weeks, called him back and got pretty much the same response. Nothing definitive.

I called LSP myself, they don't have my paperwork or any record of it. I called my C3 back, and told him what LSP told me, he responded, "I'll have to look into that".

I waited another couple of weeks and called LSP again, they still had no record or anything newly received with my name on it. Called my C3 again, and it's the same old worn out excuses

As I mentioned earlier, I filled out the paperwork to LSP in January, they usually take about 30 days, I should have had it back in February, and been able to send it to the Feds in February as well. The Feds take about 6 months. If on schedule I would have had my suppressor about August.

As it now stands, I've actually wasted about 4 months, and I'm betting he has misplaced my paperwork. I'll bet my paperwork has never seen a postage stamp and is lost in his office somewhere.

I'm thinking about cancelling the whole thing with this guy and starting the whole process over with someone else. The process is normally slow and time-consuming enough, and the C3's know this, but he's added more delays to the process.

Never, ever, ever again with this guy. I'm going to wait one more week then check with LSP to see if they have my application. If they do, I'll involve myself more in this process and babysit it to the end. If LSP tells me they still don't have it, then it will be a serious face to face time.

BTW, I've done nothing but be cooperative and patient with this guy. He aledgedly sent my stuff to LSP and I assumed he'd called me when he received it back. I've tried to stay out if this and let him do his job, but I believe that is the problem, he's not doing his job. About the nicest guy you'd ever meet, but I think that incompetence prevails in this situation.

Check out the C3's reputation before you commit.

Rant off
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

That bites, thanks for the warning - who's the dealer? Maybe next time ask for delivery confirmation thru the post office, all you need is the number and you can check via internet for delivery.

Senior Moderator
    Wow...sorry to hear that. Is sending it to the LSP a Louisiana thing? We dont do that here. We walk into the Sheriffs Office, have him sign it, do the fingerprints, and then send it. There is no waiting for the background check.

Get the paperwork done, send it in with a check for 200 bucks.

The ATF on the other hand,is slow. My Form 4's are running from 6-7 months.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    I think local Cleo's can sign off on stuff as well, in fact I think some of them do. The dept at LSP that issues cc permits are the same ones that can sign off as the Cleo for anyplace in the state. I think some of the Cleo's prefer that LSP handle it. The 30 day wait from LSP isn't so bad, it's getting the paperwork to the LSP that's frustrating.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

It's a BIG PAIN IN THE BUTT! If I ever get the one I ordered I will never get another. I would like to just cancel my order but was told its not an option.
    Glock 19 in a Crossbreed supertuck EDC

Ruger LCP W/ CT "the go anywhere gun" EDC

"ALWAYS carry!NEVERtell!" Thumper

Links