what are your transfer fees - Page 2

what are your transfer fees

This is a discussion on what are your transfer fees within the FFL Dealer Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My fee is 25 bucks. There is no fee for the background check, the NICS check is free. If you are paying for a background ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: what are your transfer fees

Senior Moderator
    My fee is 25 bucks. There is no fee for the background check, the NICS check is free.
    If you are paying for a background check, its a state thing.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I pay my guy $10 for a transfer. No background check with CWL. I just fill out the form and walk.

Edited to add: If I BUY anywhere, no fee. Just fill the form.
    Ed Brown Kobra 45
    Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II
    Glock 33

Title I firearms: $20 per firearm
    Sound suppressors: $50 per suppressor
    Transferable machine guns: 1% of price paid ($15,000 M16 is $150 transfer fee). Reason it's priced like that is I have to insure it for many months while the Form 4 is pending. Insurance costs money.

Michigan doesn't charge fees for BG checks. Also a CPL (concealed pistol license) is a NICS exemption, so I don't call the FBI, just write their CPL info on the 4473 and done. Works for all Title I firearms.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

I charge $25 for transfers. NICS checks are free.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

VIP Member
    If I sell a gun in my store there is no transfer fee, period. Transfers are included in the sale and we don't jack up the price of the firearm for the transfer.

I ship firearms all over the country. I can tell you that transfer fees vary widely. I tell my customers it is to their benefit to shop around for a fair price. We have a built-in FFL finder for our Internet stores. The database is not all 44,000 FFL's in the country. It is mostly FFL's we have shipped to in the past several years. The customer can also provide his own FFL if he has one he likes dealing with.

California is notorious for excessively high transfer fee prices. I shipped a C&R pistol to a customer in Tracy, CA a couple days ago. He told me he was happy paying $65.00. He had called 4 other FFL's and got quotes as high as $160.00. I told him I thought he was getting reamed by greedy dealers. His feeling was that $65 bucks was cheap and just part of the overall high cost of living in CA.

East coast is not much better. The average transfer in New jersey is around $50.00. No doubt, the transferring dealer is doing some work to receive the firearm, record the A&D, call NICS, and maintain 4473 forms for 20 years. Historically, most dealers have done transfers as an accommodation. Lately, many seem to be taking advantage of transfers by treating them as a source of income. BAD business practice, bad, bad, bad.

The average rate is still about $25.00. A smart dealer can get some extra mileage from the customer in repeat business for ammo, other accessories providing he is not trying to screw the customer on a transfer only.

If the dealer is trying to make a living off transfers he won't stay in business very long.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanMan View Post
    Appreciate the feedback.

From reading some of the posts am I understanding this correctly...

In everyone's experience has the check been an additional fee when you purchase the firearm directly from the FFL Dealer?

Or is this only when the FFL Dealer is not profiting from your purchase and transferring only?
    Depends on the state. Here in AZ, if you have your CCW, there's no NIC call. My private (no storefront) FFL charges $20.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    If the dealer is trying to make a living off transfers he won't stay in business very long.
    I wouldn't go that far. I know of a few dealers that only do transfers, charge $20 to $30 per gun, and do it full time. Depends on your location. Here in the UP, there isn't enough people buying in the first place so it won't be feasible. Larger city like Milwaukee, Green Bay, the Twin Cities, etc is doable.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

$20 not too far from the house.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    I wouldn't go that far. I know of a few dealers that only do transfers, charge $20 to $30 per gun, and do it full time. Depends on your location. Here in the UP, there isn't enough people buying in the first place so it won't be feasible. Larger city like Milwaukee, Green Bay, the Twin Cities, etc is doable.
    Sure Tubby45, I guess it's all relative. I should have qualified that statement or changed it with the preface "sustainable" . Transfers alone in my business would not even cover monthly phone service, rent or any other single basic expense. My operation is larger than a one man shop but we are not Gander Mountain either.

Besides that, dealers actually do need to sell a few guns (other than for for themselves or for "inventory") ATF is mandated by law to perform an audit at least once every 6 years. ATF is not trying to reduce the amount of FFL's but does in fact have grounds to deny a license renewal for reason of not meeting minimums. The chances are quite slim this would happen in most state but can happen. The ATF's position is that at least 2 guns must be sold within any two year operating period during the duration of a 3 year license. Excepting 01 FFL's exclusively engaged in gunsmithing only.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

If I sell a gun in my store there is no transfer fee, period. Transfers are included in the sale and we don't jack up the price of the firearm for the transfer.

I ship firearms all over the country. I can tell you that transfer fees vary widely. I tell my customers it is to their benefit to shop around for a fair price. We have a built-in FFL finder for our Internet stores. The database is not all 44,000 FFL's in the country. It is mostly FFL's we have shipped to in the past several years. The customer can also provide his own FFL if he has one he likes dealing with.

California is notorious for excessively high transfer fee prices. I shipped a C&R pistol to a customer in Tracy, CA a couple days ago. He told me he was happy paying $65.00. He had called 4 other FFL's and got quotes as high as $160.00. I told him I thought he was getting reamed by greedy dealers. His feeling was that $65 bucks was cheap and just part of the overall high cost of living in CA.

East coast is not much better. The average transfer in New jersey is around $50.00. No doubt, the transferring dealer is doing some work to receive the firearm, record the A&D, call NICS, and maintain 4473 forms for 20 years. Historically, most dealers have done transfers as an accommodation. Lately, many seem to be taking advantage of transfers by treating them as a source of income. BAD business practice, bad, bad, bad.

The average rate is still about $25.00. A smart dealer can get some extra mileage from the customer in repeat business for ammo, other accessories providing he is not trying to screw the customer on a transfer only.

I used to live in Jacksonville and most shops charge $40-50. They don't want you buying from anyone but them. Then again, we had the Floridaguntrader.com website that got me my guns cheaper. It was so easy.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

$20 here at the indoor range TG&G here in Louisville, KY.

$10 fee at local pawn shop / FFL holder. No charge for background check on pre-CHL first purchase. Now with CHL, there is no background check, still $10 fee.
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

VIP Member
    Got a guy by me that will do any regular firearm(pistol, rifle, shottie) for $10 when buying from the likes of GB, or out of state transfer.

When buying a firearm from a local GS they don't charge me anything extra, either in Port Huron, S.C.S., or wherever.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Besides that, dealers actually do need to sell a few guns (other than for for themselves or for "inventory") ATF is mandated by law to perform an audit at least once every 6 years. ATF is not trying to reduce the amount of FFL's but does in fact have grounds to deny a license renewal for reason of not meeting minimums. The chances are quite slim this would happen in most state but can happen. The ATF's position is that at least 2 guns must be sold within any two year operating period during the duration of a 3 year license. Excepting 01 FFL's exclusively engaged in gunsmithing only.
    There is no law or regulation for minimums. There is no law or regulation that demands a gun be sold from inventory.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

My LGS charges $25 for any internet dealer,except BUDS, then its $50.When I asked why, he just mumbles and smiles,any clues yall?
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links