Curious About a Hold on a Handgun

This is a discussion on Curious About a Hold on a Handgun within the FFL Dealer Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Recently purchased a handgun from a pawn shop that is also a sporting goods store. First thing the guy said is I can buy it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curious About a Hold on a Handgun

Curious About a Hold on a Handgun

Recently purchased a handgun from a pawn shop that is also a sporting goods store. First thing the guy said is I can buy it now but can't take it away until 7/5/2012.

I asked if it was a pawn he said no the previous owner sold it outright.

Is there a minimum hold time on guns before they can resell? Is this a pawn thing? An FFL thing? or maybe they just wanted to have a minimum inventory?

I of course would like to have taken it right away but I think the hold is what made it such a good buy and I can have the patience to wait on it but I was just curious... if anyone knows the answer.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Hmmm..... I almost hate to say what the first thing that comes to my mind is.

Potential cash flow issue? Is the business solvent? Or does he have an opportunity to use your cash to make himself a little extra?
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

No cash flow issues, I didn't even have to pay for it until I picked it up. He kept using the term "lay a way". I don't usually purchase from a pawn shop so I figured they have people that pay out over time.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Did you ask him why? He must have the answer.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Maybe the FFL is waiting on results of a stolen firearm search. CYA?

Is it THAT good of a buy to wait?
    If he thought you were going shopping elsewhere, perhaps the waiting time would be shortened.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It was a slightly used Glock 19 for $399, I knew if I waited on it someone else would have gotten it. It was a fathers day gift to myself.

I had almost bought a new one for about $500 just a few days earlier.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

This only pertains to Pawn shops,The BATF&E requires that pawn shops hold a weapon a minimum of 15 days,bought outright or pawn,When you pawn a gun,you have to complete a white sheet when you pick it up just as if you were buying it.The BATF&E did this to discourage stolen firearms from being pawned,this way they will have time to be entered in NCIC and tracked.

Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    This only pertains to Pawn shops,The BATF&E requires that pawn shops hold a weapon a minimum of 15 days,bought outright or pawn,When you pawn a gun,you have to complete a white sheet when you pick it up just as if you were buying it.The BATF&E did this to discourage stolen firearms from being pawned,this way they will have time to be entered in NCIC and tracked.
    Thanks Glockrocker, that is what I suspected.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

VIP Member
    Glockrocker stole my thunder, I was also told that the dealers ( FFLs) here in WI submit the information ( serial numbers) to ATF on used guns/ traded guns. They hold off on sales until the weapon clears, but sounds like it is to make sure it was not reported as stolen.
    399 is not a bad deal on that 19 if it is as nice as you say.

A Texas pawn broker has to report everything he takes in that has a serial to the police dept. or at least it is that way in Dallas for sure. I am pretty sure he must wait a certain number of days for the police to run the numbers if they choose to. If that gun was not in the display case, you can bet that was the case.

So...it will become yours?
    Not a bad price for one in good shape!
    It's hard to mistreat a Glock...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It will join my other Glock 19, and after I prove its function it will be my carry weapon at least some of the time. I am considering refinishing the slide on my old Gen 2, but I may just leave it as is..

I looked at the calendar and I purchased it the 16th so it must have been sold to the pawn shop just 2 days prior, good timing for me.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

A little late to the thread, but I think Eric Holder has his eye on it for a drug cartel friend of his, hence the wait. SNAP! If you don't mind me asking, if a new one was $500, how used is the one your waiting on for $400? Glock has a LE program, if your military or leo active or prior service your eligible (or so the gun shop told me), I got a gen4 21 for $429 new under that program. Hope you enjoy it either way.
    I want, what they want, and every other guy who came over here and spilled his guts and gave everything he had, wants! For our country to love us as much as we love it! That's what I want!
    - Rambo, John J.

Senior Moderator
    This only pertains to Pawn shops,The BATF&E requires that pawn shops hold a weapon a minimum of 15 days,bought outright or pawn,When you pawn a gun,you have to complete a white sheet when you pick it up just as if you were buying it.
    Must be a Texas thing, because it isnt that way here in Arkansas.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links