FFL Interview - Review

This is a discussion on FFL Interview - Review within the FFL Dealer Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just a short review of my FFL interview conducted on 07/30/2012. Filed paperwork on June 21, 2012 Received a call on July 27, 2012. The ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Diddle
  • 1 Post By Tubby45

Thread: FFL Interview - Review

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar

FFL Interview - Review

Just a short review of my FFL interview conducted on 07/30/2012.

Filed paperwork on June 21, 2012
    Received a call on July 27, 2012. The interview was scheduled for 9:30AM on 07/30/2012

ATF agent arrived at 9:40AM and was very, very nice. The interview was conducted in our dining room.

The first part was to verify all information on the application was correct. We changed a couple of things. Those had to be initiled and dated. The agent took information from our drivers license and proceeded to ask questions as to what our intentions were. I had a business plan already printed as well as city business license and state tax certificate. I suspect that cut time by maybe 10-20 minutes. My plan was three pages long and she read every page. Not simply skiped through it. She also took a copy with her

The interview took about 2-1/2 hours. There were no trick questions, no bull and things went extremely smooth. We covered a lot of ground during her visit and I must say it was quiet pleasurable. I thought I was pretty savy having spent the last 30+ days reading everything I could get my hands on from the ATF only to find that I had questions that never came to mind until the interview. I can't stress how much she stressed call her or her office if I had questions. The "meat" of the interview was simply verifying that everything was correct on the application and that we were aware of all of the rules and regulations. Frankly, I was not aware that installing a scope for someone was considered "Gunsmithing" and changing a lower for someone on an AR is considered "manufactruing" / "Gunsmithing". But when she gave an explination and it made total sense.

This is a highly condensed review of my interview and I hope it helps someone in the future. Mine interview was not a test of wits but mearly a damn good education on how to do things. And like my CCDW class years ago, it was well worth the time spent. While some agents may be different, mine was absolutely outstanding and could have not been more helpful.

My best to all,

Diddle
    Thunder71 likes this.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

I was not aware that installing a scope for someone was considered "Gunsmithing" and changing a lower for someone on an AR is considered "manufactruing" / "Gunsmithing". But when she gave an explination and it made total sense.
    If that is true,then by their definition If I assemble a gun from a parts kit I'm manufacturing without a "license" .
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

fa2
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    If that is true,then by their definition If I assemble a gun from a parts kit I'm manufacturing without a "license" .
    Not unless you are selling them, if your intent is to keep it for yourself then its ok.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

so if I were to get a FFL as a retailer, would I need to get a second FFL to be a gunsmith if i was working on peoples guns too?

Quote Originally Posted by BWillis57 View Post
    so if I were to get a FFL as a retailer, would I need to get a second FFL to be a gunsmith if i was working on peoples guns too?
    An 01 covers retailer and gunsmith, so no you would not.

Just something to think about. I have two personal ARs which are NOT for sale. The serial number on each is on the lower not the upper. What happens if I happen to sell one and the end user decides to change the lower? Should they atatch a amendment to sale ticket indicating that the lower xxx-xx-xxxx was swaped out for a [new serial number] xxx-xx-xxxx? I am sure this is a simple question but I want as much info as I can get.

Thanks for the advice, Diddle
    Diddle
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diddle View Post
    Frankly, I was not aware that installing a scope for someone was considered "Gunsmithing"
    Yup.

and changing a lower for someone on an AR is considered "manufactruing" / "Gunsmithing". But when she gave an explination and it made total sense.
    You were given false information. If you change out a lower on someone's AR with an AR lower they already have, it's gunsmithing. The threshold is adding value or changing the configuration of a firearm before a 4473 and transfer to the buyer is made. Both firearms (in this case the AR complete rifle and separate AR receiver) have to both be already transferred and possessed by the customer in order for it to be gunsmithing.

If he buys the receiver, you swap out the receivers, then 4473 the new receiver to him, then it's manufacturing.

Even the ATF doesn't know the regulation.
    Diddle likes this.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Yup.

You were given false information. If you change out a lower on someone's AR with an AR lower they already have, it's gunsmithing. The threshold is adding value or changing the configuration of a firearm before a 4473 and transfer to the buyer is made. Both firearms (in this case the AR complete rifle and separate AR receiver) have to both be already transferred and possessed by the customer in order for it to be gunsmithing. If he buys the receiver, you swap out the receivers, then 4473 the new receiver to him, then it's manufacturing.
    Well that makes more sence, Tubby. Thank you for posting. I am trying to do everything correctly. Getting bad info, especially at this stage of the game, can create a nightmare down the road. I was left with a lot of material. I suppose it is best to take the nformation from the material "as written" and avoid any interpertations of the matter presented.
    Diddle
    NRA Life Member

Links