Odd situation at LGS.

This is a discussion on Odd situation at LGS. within the FFL Dealer Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; There are three gun stores in my area, and they are each good at one thing. There is the "tactical" store with mostly handguns, AKs, ...

Thread: Odd situation at LGS.

Odd situation at LGS.

There are three gun stores in my area, and they are each good at one thing. There is the "tactical" store with mostly handguns, AKs, and ARs, the sporter store with things you'd typically hunt with, and then the third is the best for ammo, but not much else.

I went to the sporter store because I am in the market for a shotgun for clays. I found something I liked, but the clerk told me that they were having license troubles and couldn't buy new stock or sell to non-residents (PA res, go to school in WV).

I'm just wondering what kind of problems would allow you to continue selling to residents, but nobody else, and also restrict your ability to buy new product. The operation is....weird, to say the least. Perhaps a few guns disappeared?

2. Remove Ads

BATFE restrictions placed on them, as they wind down their operations? Dunno.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tubadude View Post
    There are three gun stores in my area, and they are each good at one thing. There is the "tactical" store with mostly handguns, AKs, and ARs, the sporter store with things you'd typically hunt with, and then the third is the best for ammo, but not much else.

I went to the sporter store because I am in the market for a shotgun for clays. I found something I liked, but the clerk told me that they were having license troubles and couldn't buy new stock or sell to non-residents (PA res, go to school in WV).

I'm just wondering what kind of problems would allow you to continue selling to residents, but nobody else, and also restrict your ability to buy new product. The operation is....weird, to say the least. Perhaps a few guns disappeared?
    The Pa code and the WV firearms code differences vary considerably. PA code does not preclude any person who can legally possess a firearm from purchasing a rifle or shogun from another state. WV statues do not address out of state purchase or residency requirements. One major difference between firearms codes of each state is that PA acts as their own POC for background checks where WV uses NICS (FBI) for BG checks. There is also a 48 hour waiting period (unless that provision of the law has changed since 2010).

Most states have certain residency requirements. WV firearms code does not address any residency requirements however the requirements may be found in another chapter of WV state statutes. Assuming you are not of non immigrant alien status under provisions of Federal law, continuous residency requirements of 90 days or more in one state would not apply.

It is possible that the Gun shop you visited was not clear on provisions of WV law and simply did not want to sell to a a non resident. It is also possible that you do not meet WV residency requirements.

Businesses and manufactures can deny service to anyone for almost any reason, gun shops not withstanding. The exception would be in cases where it can be proved that a person was denied service on the basis of their civil rights. Civil rights cases are specific and usually involve racial or ethnic bias.

Gun shops do from time to time go out of business. This would not cause BATFE to impose any restrictions except in cases of repeated infractions or if the store was under indictment. BATFE will defer to states rights and will impose restrictions based on any provision of State law.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Since your a PA resident why not just drive the short distance to PA. Ace Sporting Goods in Washington PA is one of the best gun shops within an easy drive. I'm sure there are many others in Pittsburgh area or even Uniontown for that matter.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Sometimes if an FFL has to change anything, such as ownership, location, hours, etc. on the license, they have to wait on the Govt. to process the request. I was told by an FFL, that such routine changes to the license have slowed considerably in the last 3.5 yrs. for some reason. (hmm--what happened about 3.5 yrs. ago?) Don't know if that's accurate, but that's what he told me.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilsclaw View Post
    Sometimes if an FFL has to change anything, such as ownership, location, hours, etc. on the license, they have to wait on the Govt. to process the request. I was told by an FFL, that such routine changes to the license have slowed considerably in the last 3.5 yrs. for some reason. (hmm--what happened about 3.5 yrs. ago?) Don't know if that's accurate, but that's what he told me.
    This is true. Processing applications for Change of permisess address, change of ownership and license renewals has slowed. There are less people in the licensing center doing more work. 3 years ago, one or more persons handled processing for one state. Now, one person is handling 3 or 4 states depending on the number of FFL's in the state.

New license applicant can expect to wait the maximum length of time for processing, 120 days. Changes of premise takes almost the same amount of time because you are essentially starting over. All forms must be reviewed, new background check are mad and new regional ATF Industry Operations agent(s) are assigned.

License renewals also take longer. You will receive an application for renewal form about 4-6 weeks prior to your license expires. It is advisable to complete the form as soon as it is received. Renewals are not processed on a first come first serve basis. Larger FFL's will receive faster service.

States that act as their own POC will further slow processing for any changes since almost all changes including license renewals require checks with local CLO and State POC/NISC, in some states, both.

The Justice Department under The Department of Homeland Security and BATFE, part of the Justice Department is a good example of big government that got bigger but less efficient. The amount of bureaucracy is still overwhelming. As government struggles to cut certain jobs, don't expect FFL's processing to become faster anytime soon.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Links