merchant services and payment gateways

This is a discussion on merchant services and payment gateways within the FFL Dealer Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi Everyone, I'm new here. I was hoping you guys can help me out. I'm launching a new eCommerce site that will sell firearms parts ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: merchant services and payment gateways

merchant services and payment gateways

Hi Everyone,
    I'm new here. I was hoping you guys can help me out. I'm launching a new eCommerce site that will sell firearms parts & accessories, ammo, sporting goods and down the road firearms as well (once i get my FFL).

What payment gateways and merchant services are you using? i know of PAI that is 2A friendly but most of the other ones I found prohibit anything related to firearms.

Please help

2. Remove Ads

X-charge, I use their merchant services as well...not the cheapest on fee's but they intergrate well with eComm and other point of sale programs.
    bigmacque likes this.

It appears it's really hard to find a payment gateway/merchant account provider that is willing to work with the firearms industry. we will probably start with a Volusion cart and Payment Alliance for merchant accounts.
    if you guys use anyone else, please reply here in case someone else want to have more options.

I have an online Boutique Cigar Business and ran I to similar issues. Finally found US Merchant Services - Stephen Norell, he's done a great job for me and it doesn't cost me anything "extra" for my "high risk" business. Good luck.
    Always Carry, Never Tell
    S&W Shield 9mm
    Ruger LCP .380
    NRA Member
    Certified NRA Instructor

Square or Squareup

Good day. I've learned quite a bit from this site without registering, but I've finally found a place to contribute.

I highly recommend using Square for merchant services, if you have a smartphone that can run the app. I'm not sure if they have an ecommerse option though. But they don't charge a monthly fee and for swiped transactions the percentage is 2.75%. It's a great option for those who display at gun shows because it lets them conduct the transaction easily and get instant approval (or denial). For low volume dealers (like I will be), not having the flat monthly fee is crucial. The sacrifice is that there isn't a customer service number to call for help, it is all online.

Quote Originally Posted by aponok View Post
    Good day. I've learned quite a bit from this site without registering, but I've finally found a place to contribute.

I highly recommend using Square for merchant services, if you have a smartphone that can run the app. I'm not sure if they have an ecommerse option though. But they don't charge a monthly fee and for swiped transactions the percentage is 2.75%. It's a great option for those who display at gun shows because it lets them conduct the transaction easily and get instant approval (or denial). For low volume dealers (like I will be), not having the flat monthly fee is crucial. The sacrifice is that there isn't a customer service number to call for help, it is all online.
    Do not use SQUARE. They do not allow internet purchase of firearms, and accessories. They also updated their policy to not accept face 2 face purchases of firearms, and accessories.

Only people who use Square are people who cannot get approved for real merchant accounts. Use gopai.com or Merchantservicesltd.com

Also if you're going to sell online make sure you have your own web developer who can PCI Certify your website and server. Otherwise you'll be smacked in the face with fines.
    FFL 07 / SOT 2. I run a small hobby shop that makes custom firearms, and high performance ammunition.

Transnational is the place to be if you're in this industry. PAI just hit FFLs with a .35% fraud charge fee. They can pound sand. Transnational is the winner with no nonsense.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

We are very Gun Friendly and we are working on a program just for Internet Sales with Low Rates.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Transnational is the place to be if you're in this industry. PAI just hit FFLs with a .35% fraud charge fee. They can pound sand. Transnational is the winner with no nonsense.
    I'm with Transnational also and couldn't be happier. They have been great to work with and I know a few FFL's that left PAI and went to Transnational.
    | Type 01 FFL / SOT |
    | NC CHP Instructor | NRA Pistol Instructor |

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    I AM GLAD! I just read this... Done a query on NRA's site and low and behold, PAI. The pain is you don't know who you are dealing with until you enter email address, name etc. Every darn time I have said what the heck, I need to check out CC processing, I get POed and hang it up out of frustration or total aggravation.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Gun friendly merchants

First off- all of these organizations LIE and are deceptive as far as volume. The sales people claim that your swiped volume and keyed volume can be interchanged. This is NOT true. electronictransfer flat out lied to me about this - They claim we can get your limits raised - In time this maybe true but it can bankrupt you in the process.

Here is how - I had a 20k keyed 30k swiped account - they lied and said it was interchangeable. We did 70k is 15 days - The bank decieded to keep on reserve 50% of the money - This is almost bankrupted me. Not all products I sell have a 50% margin so in short order I was about to go out of business due to lack of cashflow.

They screwed me with a 20k keyed but they keep 50% on reserve for up to 6 months. So anything over 20k they hold 50%.

Square- I did 90k in three months - the beauty is ZERO charge backs from the gun shows - now if anyone would have charged back I would have been screwed.

Mereck BANK - you can do AMMO only with these guys - Looks like we are approved with a 10-15% reserve.

I would like someone to post the link to transnational -

A relationship withyour bank seems to be the best bet - the top 5 banks that control 90% of all business are new world order and do not allow firearms or ammo -

bank of america
    chase
    citigroup
    wells fargo
    goldman sachs

Currently, just five banks control 90% of all derivatives contracts: JPMorgan Chase, Citigroup, Bank of America, Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs. The Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) had planned to require firms wanting a price for a derivatives contract to contact at least five banks.

http://english.irib.ir/voj/news/top-stories/item/85479-5-biggest-banks-gain-another-victory-in-control-of-$700-trillion-derivatives-market

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDArmory View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    I'm new here. I was hoping you guys can help me out. I'm launching a new eCommerce site that will sell firearms parts & accessories, ammo, sporting goods and down the road firearms as well (once i get my FFL).

What payment gateways and merchant services are you using? i know of PAI that is 2A friendly but most of the other ones I found prohibit anything related to firearms.

Please help
    PAI is nothing but a reseller. They will make big promises but completely wash their hands of any problems that can and will arrive. PAI uses Global Payments for processing through HSBC Holdings. I find their business practices to be bordering on dishonest. When a dispute arises they will lie through the teeth. They have one and only one interest, themselves, not the merchant. What you want is Tsys. They are a true merchant services provider and their own processor, not a bunch of third party scam artists. You will need a merchant gateway that is also gun friendly. I would recommend Eprocessingnetwork.com for this. The only requirement using TSYS is that your website is PCI compliant. There are other merchant services providers that are gun friendly and honest, such as PowerPay but their rates are higher and they don't have good connections with any gun friendly gateways.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

There is a new company McMillan Merchant Solutions that is not only Pro2A it is owned by Firearms People and designed for Firearms People.
    They are the only one that even donates a portion of their earning to organization that are Pro2A. You can sell firearms using their service.

McMillan Merchant Solutions

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisdxn View Post
    There is a new company McMillan Merchant Solutions that is not only Pro2A it is owned by Firearms People and designed for Firearms People.
    They are the only one that even donates a portion of their earning to organization that are Pro2A. You can sell firearms using their service.

McMillan Merchant Solutions
    Be very careful when selecting a merchant services provider who says they cater to the firearms community. McMillian and PAI are Merchant Services Resellers. They make claims of being gun friendly but at an inflated price. You will pay higher rates per transaction through any reseller.

Where they may tell you that their rate is 2.5-2.8% per transaction, they are not telling you about additional charges and fees that can easily make your rate per transaction upwards of 6-7% after they take their cut. They will also charge different rates for certain categories of credit cards. Visa and MasterCard don't give anything away. When they offer a customer 2x points or other rewards, You the merchant are paying for this. Non secured transactions will cost the most. Discovery cards will cost you more because like American Express, they are not processed the same as MasterCard or Visa.

The only way I know to not get taken by resellers is to go directly to the source. Merchant service providers are not Processors. There are actually only a few true bank processors. Resellers will not give you a choice of processor. Ideally, you should find a Merchant services Provider who is: 1) Gun friendly. 2) An actual service solutions provider, not a reseller. 3) Probably the most difficult but most important, find a Provider who is also a Bank Processor. 4) A merchant services provider who can arrange for your Gateway should you engage in Internet transactions.

I know of only one who does all of this. at very reasonable transaction rates.

Jason Carpenter / Merchant Advocate
    TSYS Merchant Solutions
    1601 Dodge Street Floor #5SE
    Omaha, NE 68102
    800-516-6242 x 5747045
    402-574-7045 (Direct)
    866-483-4730 (Fax)
    jcarpenter@tsys.com
    TSYS Merchant Solutions
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links