FFL transfer NY to PA

FFL transfer NY to PA

This is a discussion on FFL transfer NY to PA within the FFL Dealer Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Help guys. Now that NY has likely gone off the deep end, I want to transfer my soon to be illegal semi auto's to my ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tubby45

Thread: FFL transfer NY to PA

FFL transfer NY to PA

Help guys. Now that NY has likely gone off the deep end, I want to transfer my soon to be illegal semi auto's to my friend in PA. I have a NYS CCW and a PA License to carry. My friend and my wife's family live in Lancaster PA. Depending on the ban, I will likely have to get rid of a Taurus PT 99; My Kimber 1911, my Glock 27 (which is my EDC) and my Ruger Mrk II unless they exempt .22. Any advice would be appreciated. Since I can carry legally in PA, could I drive them to an FFL myself or do I have to mail it from a NY FFL? I never thought I'd see the day.

Jim

It depends on the laws of both states. If a private sale is permissible at either end, then you won't need to involve an FFL at all.

HotGuns is our resident expert on these matters as he is an FFL who has spent more time than he'd prefer satisfying the whims of the BATFE. If he's on board he might pick up on this, or you could PM him.

Meanwhile, I would establish a "divestiture plan" but hold off acting on it until you know it's absolutely necessary. No guarantees, but it's doubtful any new laws/rules/edicts/executive orders would force you to get rid of your hardware overnight. Just don't drive them through NJ.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    Also it might be worth checking into storing your weapons outside the state. You might be able to secure them at his house without having to transfer ownership. Sadly, you'll probably need some real legal advise on this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

I'm not an FFL,but in PA anyone who has a handgun can lend another person with a LTCF a handgun. Any ownership transfers will have to go through a FFL to be legal unless they are an immediate family member.Loaning long guns has no restrictions as long a the person recieving the gun is not prohibited from owning/possesing a firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    It depends on the laws of both states. If a private sale is permissible at either end, then you won't need to involve an FFL at all.

HotGuns is our resident expert on these matters as he is an FFL who has spent more time than he'd prefer satisfying the whims of the BATFE. If he's on board he might pick up on this, or you could PM him.
    I've been an FFL a few years longer than HotGuns has. If the firearm crosses state lines, it will need to be received by an FFL in the transforee's state and be processed from there (4473). In this case, you would ship the firearms from NY to the FFL in PA and your friend would have them transfered to him by his in state PA FFL. You can either ship or hand deliver them legally, but they must go to an FFL in PA. Some dealers don't believe it's legal to receive in person from a nonresident, but it is perfectly legal.
    Snub44 likes this.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

...here we have it correctly stated... I can't even give to my daughter in MS a gun without her going to a MS FFL and filling out the blanks...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    I've been an FFL a few years longer than HotGuns has. If the firearm crosses state lines, it will need to be received by an FFL in the transforee's state and be processed from there (4473). In this case, you would ship the firearms from NY to the FFL in PA and your friend would have them transfered to him by his in state PA FFL. You can either ship or hand deliver them legally, but they must go to an FFL in PA. Some dealers don't believe it's legal to receive in person from a nonresident, but it is perfectly legal.

...you can drive them to a PA FFL where your friend will take possession after filling in the blanks...a FFL may legally receive a firearm from anyone, no matter in which state they live...
    Quote Originally Posted by violinjim View Post
    Help guys. Now that NY has likely gone off the deep end, I want to transfer my soon to be illegal semi auto's to my friend in PA. I have a NYS CCW and a PA License to carry. My friend and my wife's family live in Lancaster PA. Depending on the ban, I will likely have to get rid of a Taurus PT 99; My Kimber 1911, my Glock 27 (which is my EDC) and my Ruger Mrk II unless they exempt .22. Any advice would be appreciated. Since I can carry legally in PA, could I drive them to an FFL myself or do I have to mail it from a NY FFL? I never thought I'd see the day.

Jim

Are you selling it to your friend? Or are you keeping it there to carry when you visit (often)?

If he's holding on to your property, do you really need to transfer it to him via FFL?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by violinjim View Post

Jim
    What are you talking about? None of your guns are going to be illegal. You need to read the law. Any 10rd mags you have are grandfathered but you can only load them to 7rds. You don't need to get rid of any guns, plus that crap will most likely be repealed to begin with as it's completely ridiculous.

IF you wanted to over react you could bring the guns and leave that at your buddies house, but why would you want to legally transfer ownership of them? There yours! Either way you could just go to an FFL in person in PA and do the xfer, but that's crazy.

Links