FFL Business Plan

FFL Business Plan

This is a discussion on FFL Business Plan within the FFL Dealer Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anyone care to share their business plan for their dealership, no matter what the focus? I've done my share in the past for other businesses ...

FFL Business Plan

Anyone care to share their business plan for their dealership, no matter what the focus?

I've done my share in the past for other businesses and found it is always a help to see examples from others in the same business.

I don't ask to copy verbatim, just to use as a reference and possibly glean some things I didn't think of.

Not sure the best way to do it, but you can send to joatman66 at gmail dot com. I'd be happy to put them in a shared online storage for others to use also, if you give me permission to do so.

Thanks!
    Aaron

In my experience, FFL dealers don't write business plans, they just jump in with both feet and an idea in their head. With all the dealers I've spoken to about business, maybe a half dozen actually put a plan together on paper.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Unless you are opening a shop and require financing I don't see why you'd need a business plan. Like the previous post mentioned, most FFL dealers I know skipped any formal business plan.

Senior Moderator
    Thats me. No plan other than to stay out of jail.

Keep your books straight, use demo's, they'll do most of the selling, pass out lots of buisness cards.

Pretty simple, but it works.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I wrote a little 3-page business plan when I applied for my FFL because I was told the in-person interviewer "may" ask for it, which they didn't. I never wrote a business plan for my successful business, but I knew that business inside and out, while I knew practically nothing about a home-based business, so writing a small business plan for the inspection made me consider things I didn't before.

Quote Originally Posted by NCSoxFan View Post
    Unless you are opening a shop and require financing I don't see why you'd need a business plan. Like the previous post mentioned, most FFL dealers I know skipped any formal business plan.
    It helps to have a written idea and focus, even as an internal reminder of what your company is all about, what you set out to do, and where you intend to go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Thats me. No plan other than to stay out of jail.

Keep your books straight, use demo's, they'll do most of the selling, pass out lots of buisness cards.

Pretty simple, but it works.
    Yup. Follow the laws, make sure every transfer is legally done to cover your butt, and try to ensure each customer has an extraordinary experience doing business with you. You won't have to spend much money on advertising then. Business cards and treating people like they are people sure makes for a great marketing plan that's low cost, high profit.

Besides business cards, the only marketing money I spent is for a table at the two local gun shows each year. That's just about the only retail sales I do though. Rest of the time is wholesale/LE only. I use gun shows to announce new products and then advertise what dealers are going to stock them. "Buy some now and try it out, then when you're ready to buy more you can find it at these local stores." I advertise the dealers and focus on keeping them stocked during the year. Much easier on the business side managing a half dozen wholesale accounts than hundreds of retail accounts.

Plans are good, but most don't ever write one or write one after they've been in business a while. I've been in business since 2006 and finally wrote a business plan in the fall of 2010.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Links