ffl in 2013

ffl in 2013

This is a discussion on ffl in 2013 within the FFL Dealer Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I would like to get my ffl in 2013 and help or take over my cousins sporting goods store in Connecticut . The store currently ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By HillbilliesRule

Thread: ffl in 2013

ffl in 2013

I would like to get my ffl in 2013 and help or take over my cousins sporting goods store in Connecticut . The store currently does not have guns. Does any one have any advice? What are the different license levels? How much does the process cost? Can he own the store and sell the fishing stuff while I sell the guns? Or do I have to be the business owner? Do we need bars on the window? What is the mark up on hand guns? What is the annual license cost after first year?

Senior Moderator
    150 for 3 years.
    Got to the ATF website, bookmark it and learn up. It'll tell you everything you need to know.

ATF Online - Laws, Regulations & Rulings
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    150 for 3 years.
    That's for an 07, not an 01. The 01 has different fees than our 07s.

As far as profit margins on guns, for the most part you're lucky to get 10-15% gross profit on a sale. You're going to buy a Glock for $440 plus shipping and sell it for around $500 street price and make about $50-60 gross on it. Then take out overhead and you might end up with $10-15 net profit on that sale. Welcome to being a gun dealer. Those crappy margins is why I'm a manufacturer and not a dealer.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

VIP Member
    There is a considerable amount of politics involved in becoming a firearms dealer. I'm not speaking of governmental politics though that also will impact any consideration of becoming an FFL of any type in the current environment.

Gun politics are such that while you may succeed in obtaining an FFL, getting inventory to fill your shelves may be difficult for the next several months and out to 2 years for some product. There are actually less than 10 major distributors of firearms in the US. If you bought less than $200,000 from any distributor in the past year, your orders will most likely not be filled, even on allocation. Buying direct from manufactures may be an alternative if you have deep pockets and can guess what the consumer is looking for.

The industry has become extremely competitive. First, the firearms business is retail, basiclly a low paying business for most but with may more govenment restrictions. Lenders and advertizers consider it a high risk and many won't do business with you even if 95% of the business is non firearm. It is subject to discretionary spending by the consumer. It is also a seasonal business for the most part.

You may think you have a very loyal local customer base but in this economy the consumer is generally looking for a bargain and will go where the product is immediately available and at the lowest possible price. If you do not supplement your store effort with an aggressive Internet presence, your chance for success is slim to nil.

You also happen to be located in a fairly restrictive state. If you can't sell AR/AK or even high cap mags, you will be starting out behind the eight ball.

About margins - It is true, guns sales are relatively low margin products. Gun accessories and related gear for hunting, camping and hiking are ways you can improve overall store sales. You can actually make higher margins selling tents and sleeping bags than guns. Glock is not a great example of margins. Glock is not discounted much. A year ago they were not exactly jumping off the shelves. They were available at any gun shop for about the same price.

Local gun shops without indoor ranges will not do as well as those that do. You can expect to spend on average, $40,000 - 60,000 per lane for a 25 yd. indoor range, more in jurisdictions that restrict airborne lead.

If manufactures were doing that great the Freedom Group would not be for sale. 9 of 10 manufactures fail without substantial government contracts. If there is no war, even large manufactures will not even have government contracts to fill. History proves this. Research the rocky ride Colt has had over the years.

Hobby manufactures who make less than 50 guns per year will need to supplement their income because it is not going to be from that business. The same is true for re-manufactured ammo makers. The competition from reloaders and the labor involved is barely worth the effort.

But hey, get your FFL anyway, it is a privilege, not a right. If you qualify, it may be for you.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post

Hobby manufactures who make less than 50 guns per year will need to supplement their income because it is not going to be from that business. The same is true for re-manufactured ammo makers. The competition from reloaders and the labor involved is barely worth the effort.
    AFAIK, Lazzeroni makes around 50-60 rifles annually and that's his only source of income.

For reloaders like me, my GPM on ammunition is 75% whether I use new brass or reload brass. I've tried to do the 9/40/45 thing when I started and the margins are just too low to bother with.

Don't discount the boutique manufacturers. :) Low cost, low overhead, high profit.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

VIP Member
    Tubby45, as you know, there are always exceptions. While Lazzeroni makes great guns. He is for the most part a one man show. He is a master of his craft anf probably has no desire to grow his business. The lazzroni's of the industry do it because they can and because they want to. He may well be independently wealthy however many artists and craftsman like him often die without a dime to their name.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by ctcarry44 View Post
    I would like to get my ffl in 2013 and help or take over my cousins sporting goods store in Connecticut . The store currently does not have guns. Does any one have any advice? What are the different license levels? How much does the process cost? Can he own the store and sell the fishing stuff while I sell the guns? Or do I have to be the business owner? Do we need bars on the window? What is the mark up on hand guns? What is the annual license cost after first year?
    Now is not the time to get into the gun business. Wholesalers are limitimg what you can purchase and it's going to shops that bring in tons of money a month. If your going to be a small mom and pop store it maybe a year or longer before you can start getting guns to stock. I foresee a lot of smaller FFL's going out of business this year because of that.
    | Type 01 FFL / SOT |
    | NC CHP Instructor | NRA Pistol Instructor |

On the other hand, getting your ducks in a row while the retail gun business is hurting isn't a bad strategy, either. Develop your business plan, get the paperwork taken care of, start your informal/casual advertising, secure your capital and establish supplier relationships now. Then you'll be poised to move once the current business ebb cycle has ceased.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Ex Member Array HillbilliesRule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ffl4you View Post
    ffl123.com......best $40 i ever spent. i went from"it would be cool be cool to have an FFL" to having my ffl in my mailbox 3 months later. Any question you could possibly have, brandon maddox (owner) has the answer, no matter what state. I got my FFL in the mail 7 days ago and felt like an expert before i even had it. its kinda like a course.
    This reeks of "advertisement"
    ehamill likes this.

If your retail store is an actual business and has the proper zoning for a retail location. Then I do not see you having any problems getting an FFL. Just make sure there is no local laws that prohibit you from selling firearms.

Heck the first time I got my FFL was for my home in a small 10x15 wooden garage. That was to manufacture firearms, and ammunition.

P.S. Please do not buy these "FFL Kits" that supposedly helps you get a FFL. The process is so easy, and free. Call the ATF Hotline @ 1 (800) 800-3855, and request for a free FFL Application Kit be sent to you. It will include 2 Finger print cards, and the actual application. You can also just download the application on the ATF website, and just fill it out on your computer, print and mail it with 2 fingerprint id cards from your police department.

Links