Is This Legal ...

Is This Legal ...

This is a discussion on Is This Legal ... within the FFL Dealer Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a gun - someone wants to purchase it. They said they would send the FFL of a dealer who they will pick it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Is This Legal ...

Is This Legal ...

I have a gun - someone wants to purchase it.

They said they would send the FFL of a dealer who they will pick it up from. I am to enclose that copy of the FFL along with my driver's license in the box with the gun. I ship it directly to the FFL holder via US Postal Service.

Is this legit?

Thanks
    NRA Life Member

If you died today are you prepared for where you will end up tomorrow?

Thank you to all of those who have served this country - you have my respect!!!

Ianal

But sounds right to me.

I'd ship it full value insured via FedEx or UPS if I were you though.

USPS loses stuff... FedEx/ups do not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse typos.

Loses stuff ... I would say USPS has more gun lovers working for them ...
    Kennydale and 006.9V2.1 like this.
    NRA Life Member

If you died today are you prepared for where you will end up tomorrow?

Thank you to all of those who have served this country - you have my respect!!!

Maybe they do. I just have a hard time trusting them after they lost a package of mine. Not to mention all the boxes I have received from them in shambles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse typos.

...if it's a handgun...USPS won't ship it at all...if it's a long gun, they will subject to rules...
    ...handguns must go common carrier...like UPS...
    ...never turn loose of your Drivers' License...send a copy...
    ...as long as you ship to an FFL...Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide ATF5300.4 of Sep 05 General Questions (B7) and (B8) page 178 tell you how to do that legally...you can get that online and print off those sections...
    CamoMama and Hopyard like this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    If not mistaken, only a FFL can mail a firearm thru the USPS to another FFL (or possibly the manufacturer). You cannot. Fedex is expensive (Cost me $85 to ship to S&W). Best best is to ask LGS what they charge to ship to another FFL.
    Snub44 and msgt/ret like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Only a FFL can ship via USPS. Has to go common carrier if your not a FFL.
    | Type 01 FFL / SOT |
    | NC CHP Instructor | NRA Pistol Instructor |

...true for handguns...not true for long guns

...long guns may be mailed by unlicensed individuals to individuals in their own state or to FFL licensees in any state through USPS subject to the rules posted above...

...an unlicensed individual may also ship long guns to individuals in their own state or to FFL licensees in any state subject to the rules posted above by common carrier...

Do your home work Weapons are shipped United States Postal service all of time. There are rules and condition. so follow them.
    Example if you ship a weapon to Ruger for warranty work it goes US post office NOT the brown truck.
    Ruger will send you out a mailing label.

...feds say individuals cannot ship handguns through USPS...I did my homework before posting, and that's what the book says...another one I didn't post earlier is Title 18 USC Chapter 83...and my previous cites still stand...

...go tell THEM to do THEIR homework...I'm sure they'll listen...THEY say individuals cannot mail handguns...go straighten 'em out...

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Do your home work Weapons are shipped United States Postal service all of time. There are rules and condition. so follow them.
    Example if you ship a weapon to Ruger for warranty work it goes US post office NOT the brown truck.

i don't have an FFL,but,sent a gun to S&W,this past Dec,using Fedex.They told me,the driver couldn't pick it up from me,i had to take it to Fedex.When it came back,they did deliver it to me.Things can get so dang complicated,these days.Fedex kept up with it thou.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    I would have to say they have changed that too at Ruger. I just sent them my 10/22 and they sent me a prepaid UPS label. I just gave it to the driver when he came to deliver a package the next day.

The other thing with the USPS, is they don't get into the legality of mailing guns. It's up to you to understand and know what to do. I know that long guns to FFLs are OK and they recommend using Registered mail (most secure... at least it won't get lost, although it may be slow).

...that would be a long gun...nobody said that individuals couldn't ship long guns by USPS...the rules are clear...individuals MAY ship handguns by United Parcel or Fedex...subject to the rules...and not to an out-of state individual...must be to an FFL....
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn77 View Post
    I would have to say they have changed that too at Ruger. I just sent them my 10/22 and they sent me a prepaid UPS label. I just gave it to the driver when he came to deliver a package the next day.

Oh, I understand. I was just noting that Ruger seems to have stopped using the Postal Service (which is just fine by me).

...and then there's the US Post Office's rules: 432 Mailability guess they need to do their homework, too...

...the OP wasn't interested in mailing to a Manuf. for repairs/replacement...he was asking about an individual...mailing to an individual's FFL (presumably in another state)...and all the ATF rules and the USPS rules say NO...use common carrier...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links