Fees

This is a discussion on Fees within the FFL Dealer Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Is anyone charging additional fees when you sell a firearm? Background check or other?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Fees

New Member Array airbornefirearm's Avatar

Fees

Is anyone charging additional fees when you sell a firearm?
    Background check or other?

2. Remove Ads

Not sure what you are asking........

In most states(if not all) one is allowed to sell a firearm to another person living in that state without a background check..... If they sell it to someone out of state the firearm must be transferred(sold) through a FFL holder and normally there will be a fee and paperwork......
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Michigan doesn't charge a background check fee.

Some dealers I know have a sales price and then an additional fee for doing the paperwork as a way to make more money. I think it's stupid, but if that works for them, whatever.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

$25 bucks, flat rate. Coming or going.

When I sell it FTF, no dealer's involved, hence no fees beyond the selling price I get for the item.

When I buy/sell at an FFL dealer, I've typically paid $15-25 for a background check (typically on the low end of that scale), with a few instances of a $10 "frequent flier" fee at an FFL I've used a lot. No other "ups & extras," beyond whatever fee is charged by the dealer for the NICS check and covering the time/effort of the dealer doing that.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

No fees just the proper credentials for buying a firearm i.e. handgun permit or Concealed Handgun License.

In S.C. if you buy from an FFL,and you have a CCP,they use it,they don't run a background ck.If you don't have a CCP,i don't think, they charge you,but,since i've had my permit a few yrs,i've used it,so,i don't know.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I charge $25.00 to transfer a typical firearm. No background check fees, processing fees etc. I do know some other dealers that charge $12.00 for a background check and a so-called $10.00 processing fee. If you are a customer who is buying a firearm from me (as a dealer) there is no transfer fee.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

If I'm transferring a firearm from another dealer than I charge a fee on depending what type of firearm it is. For handguns I charge $20, Long Rifles $35. If they do not pick it up within 2 weeks I tack in a storage fee.

Also doing a NICS check is free and does not cost you a cent if that's what you're asking.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaFirearms View Post
    If I'm transferring a firearm from another dealer than I charge a fee on depending what type of firearm it is. For handguns I charge $20, Long Rifles $35. If they do not pick it up within 2 weeks I tack in a storage fee.

Also doing a NICS check is free and does not cost you a cent if that's what you're asking.
    What's your logic in charging a different fee for a different type gun?

I can only fit 16 long guns in a single safe compared to 80+ handguns in the same safe. I also have to save the retail packaging which takes a lot of space in my shop.
    FFL 07 / SOT 2. I run a small hobby shop that makes custom firearms, and high performance ammunition.

I assume you are talking about background checks.

Most places in my area charge $10-25. My FFL does transfers out of his basement. My price, $2.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

No one here charges the seller a thing.... only the buyer, for the background check.

If they sell their gun for you, then a consignment fee or a % , based upon your agreement with them.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

When I do an inbound transfer, I charge the recipient a $25 fee, which includes the background check.
    For outbound shipments - $25 plus whatever shipping costs.
    I have a few frequent fliers that get much lower fees.
    I also believe in the barter system. I have a few customers that we swap services for. I have one who reloads for me for cost. I do his transfers free. I also pass along wholesale pricing to him.
    NONAME762 likes this.

In Florida, the State gets $5 for the background check, which has to be collected by the FFL. Otherwise, any fees are up to the FFL for transfer, etc.

Jeff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links