Interstate Purchase--Long Gun Gift?

This is a discussion on Interstate Purchase--Long Gun Gift? within the FFL Dealer Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I live in California. I would like to know the best way to buy a new Ruger 10-22 and get it to my cousin in ...

Thread: Interstate Purchase--Long Gun Gift?

Interstate Purchase--Long Gun Gift?

I live in California. I would like to know the best way to buy a new Ruger 10-22 and get it to my cousin in Oklahoma as a gift?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    You have to buy the rifle, and then ship it to an FFL in Oklahoma. When your cousing recieves it, that FFL will have to do the 4473 on it. You first need to find an FFL willing to do a transfer.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I just went through this....... you can either do as above...or send him the money and let him handle it.... there is no in between
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Some FFL dealers might think you are doing a straw purchase. Just have your cousin purchase it directly, and have his FFL receive it. Other than paying a FFL to receive it in california, and paying him again to ship it out to Oklahoma, and having your cousin pay another FFL fee.
    FFL 07 / SOT 2. I run a small hobby shop that makes custom firearms, and high performance ammunition.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    I just went through this....... you can either do as above...or send him the money and let him handle it.... there is no in between

Yep. The 10/22 is a relatively inexpensive gun when considering FFL transfer fees. Try this: print out a Ruger 10/22 product sheet off Ruger.com, write on it "Good for one (1) 10/22" and send it to him in the mail and wait for him to tell you the damage. Yeah, not as good as the real thing, but he'll appreciate it.

I know. My wife did this for me when she couldn't find me a Browning Hi Power.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Thanks to all; I appreciate the replies, It sounds like it would be cheaper to fly to Oklahoma, take my cousin out to dinner--pay for it--and then go buy him a gun...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WBruce View Post
    Thanks to all; I appreciate the replies, It sounds like it would be cheaper to fly to Oklahoma, take my cousin out to dinner--pay for it--and then go buy him a gun...
    Federal and state firearms laws at their finest! Protecting law-abiding citizens from the proliferation of .22 rimfire assault weapons!
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

"One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Links