FFL to FFL or can we do private to one FFL

This is a discussion on FFL to FFL or can we do private to one FFL within the FFL Dealer Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just checking to make sure this is legal: can a private individual send to my FFL, along with a copy of his driver's license, an ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Snub44
  • 1 Post By CherokeeSlim
  • 1 Post By Snub44
  • 2 Post By HotGuns

Thread: FFL to FFL or can we do private to one FFL

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar

FFL to FFL or can we do private to one FFL

Just checking to make sure this is legal: can a private individual send to my FFL, along with a copy of his driver's license, an AR lower that he's selling me, and my FFL be the only FFL that participates in the exchange?
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

2. Remove Ads

Talk to your ffl! Some will not accept from individuals!

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Yes, it is legal for rifles, but as RockinRiley said, some FFLs don't accept these transfers.

Pistols it has to be FFL to FFL. At least that's what I remember from when I looked it up. Can't remember where I found that though.
    Walk softly ...

...per ATF 5300.4 of 9-05:General Questions (B8), which can be read in its entirety online...

...a non-licensed individual may ship by common or contract carrier a long gun or handgun to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State...
    Eagleks likes this.

The FFL wont receive it blindly. They will want a drivers license copy. I've done it several times.
    Cherokee Slim
    bigmacque likes this.
    NRA, SASS #72605, ROII, WBRO, Ocoee Rangers, Tennessee Mountain Maurauders. Semper Fi

...that's a choice the indiv. FFL makes...some will, some won't...I had a guy in NH send me a pistol...my FFL wanted the NH FFL's license copy faxed before he'd accept it for me...depends on the pucker factor of the FFLs involved...
    Eagleks likes this.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    All good answers.

The FFL told me to just have him include a clear, legible and preferrably enlarged copy of his drivers license and it would work. It's a lower that he's sending me, so it's the part with the serial number.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...per ATF 5300.4 of 9-05:General Questions (B8), which can be read in its entirety online...

...a non-licensed individual may ship by common or contract carrier a long gun or handgun to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State...
    The wrinkle is that a non licensee must use UPS or FedEx overnight, which is expensive as the dickens.

FFLs can use USPS priority and Steve the sender lots...

Quote Originally Posted by CherokeeSlim View Post
    The FFL wont receive it blindly. They will want a drivers license copy. I've done it several times.
    Cherokee Slim
    I require a drivers license or FFL copy based on the seller. Some may argue that it's not required by law. I respond that it's required by this FFL... Before I'll accept a firearm I want to make sure that I know where it's coming from.

...with a long gun, as the OP is talking about, a non-licensee may ship by USPS to a licensee in any state...he is not restricted to UPS or FedEx...see in your ATF 5300.4 page 178 (B7)...handguns, however, are not mailable by a nonlicensee...
    Quote Originally Posted by WearyTraveler View Post
    The wrinkle is that a non licensee must use UPS or FedEx overnight, which is expensive as the dickens.

I require a drivers license or FFL copy based on the seller. Some may argue that it's not required by law. I respond that it's required by this FFL... Before I'll accept a firearm I want to make sure that I know where it's coming from.
    ...a lot of FFLs are adding restrictions for the purpose of self-protection...I can hardly blame them...I would simply refuse to show or sell to some people because they smelled/looked/acted like trouble...too much grief can be had...so the consumer suffers...

Senior Moderator
    I guess I'm easy because I don't require what is not required by law.

The people that are going through an FFL to ship something, are abiding by the law and trying to do it right.

I see no sense in making it more difficult for them.
    Snub44 and Vermontgunowner like this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

That's true , only if it's a handgun.

Here's the info off the ATF site, which you can go to if you have doubts about any of it.

LINK : Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons | ATF

ATF - Frequently Asked Questions :

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

Q: May a non-licensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

Q: May a person who is relocating out of State move firearms with other household goods?

Yes. A person who lawfully possesses a firearm may transport or ship the firearm interstate when changing his or her State of residence.

Certain NFA firearms must have prior approval from the Bureau of ATF before they may be moved interstate. The person must notify the mover that firearms are being transported. He or she should also check State and local laws where relocating to ensure that movement of firearms into the new State does not violate any State law or local ordinance.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(4) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.28 and 478.31]
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I guess I'm easy because I don't require what is not required by law.

The people that are going through an FFL to ship something, are abiding by the law and trying to do it right.

I see no sense in making it more difficult for them.
    Hotguns, your situation is slightly different than that of an 01 FFL. There is an ATF provision in the law whereby any individual can ship ANY firearm directly to a manufacturer. As an 07, you technically meet that criteria. An individual sending ANY firearm to an 01 for gun smithing can still be a grey area but for certain purposes such as refinishing, is also legal. Allowable shipping methods for non licensee's does not change.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Non license can ship Ground UPS to mfg, gunsmith, or other licensed FFL. I've done it numerous times here in the Empire of NY!

Links