Need help with a FFL to FFL transfer

This is a discussion on Need help with a FFL to FFL transfer within the FFL Dealer Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I bought a hand gun from an FFL. he shipped the gun to a local FFL. All good so far the gun is at my ...

Thread: Need help with a FFL to FFL transfer

I bought a hand gun from an FFL. he shipped the gun to a local FFL. All good so far the gun is at my local FFL. The problem is that the sender will not send a copy f his FFL to my local guy as he says it isn't required, my local guy says he needs to have it.
    I called the ATF and they tell me that the sender doesn't have to supply it, so now I'm caught in the middle. Can anyone point me to the regulation that says that the sender doesn't have to supply it so I can point it out to my local guy?
    I'd really like to pick it up today.

Call the ATF back and explain the situation, again. Ask the ATF agent to cite the regulation, so you can print it and take it to your local FFL, to show him the ATF position.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Ask the agent to call your lgs (couldn't hurt to ask right?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Find another LGS?

Actually i did ask and he couldn't. My local FFL did call them however and the situation has been resolved.

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    "I called the ATF and they tell me that the sender doesn't have to supply it"

Sounds like somebody does not know the law here....If it's your FFL have HIM call ATF while you are there.....should be a simple thing to resolve one way or the other.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

..get your FFL to get out his Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide ATF5300.4 of Sep 2005 and look at page 178 (B7) and (B8)...these will tell him that, as an FFL, he may accept shipment of a firearm from out of state whether it's from another FFL or an INDIVIDUAL...who would have no FFL

...(B3) specifically states that you can buy from someone out of state as long as you go through an FFL in your state

...no mention of any requirement that an FFL be sent with the gun from the sending FFL...your FFL simply logs the gun into his bound book and fills in the info on the shipper, be it an out-of-state FFL or an out-of-state individual...

...the FFL who SHIPPED to your FFL should have required a copy of your FFL's license, to prove that his interstate shipment was in fact to a licensed individual/business, as required by law....no such requirement on the sending FFL to send his license...since no license is required for your FFL to receive it and log it into his bound book...

...if he still won't allow you to purchase it...I'd call the ATF...from there...I once had a gunshop/gunsmith get ugly with me because I wouldn't fill out a 4473 on a pistol I'd paid him to clean which he kept overnight...he insisted that because it was overnight the 4473 was required...I got tired of reasoning with him and had the local ATF guy call him...he was so rude and belligerent to the ATF guy that he said if he didn't know the law any better than that, stand by for a few minutes...and the ATF guy drove out and gave him a complete audit...ruined his whole day...they DO have the last word, when they're correct...

...to be fair, there are a lot of FFL holders out there too scared to poot because of things that have happened...but to inconvenience a paying customer....nope...

All good comments above. As an FFL dealer I have never had a sending FFL fail to include a copy of their license with the shipped firearms. It is customary even though not required.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

When i do transfers I always send my FFL, and I ALWAYS request a signed copy of their FFL. Never had a problem where a FFL refused to send me their FFL.
    FFL 07 / SOT 2. I run a small hobby shop that makes custom firearms, and high performance ammunition.

In this case, the FFL I purchased the gun from refused to send his and the turned out not to be required, per my conversation with the ATF office in Tampa. At any rate I got got it all resolved. PM me if you'd like more info.

I get a lot of guns shipped to be from Bud's Gun Shop and they do not send a copy of their license but a sheet of paper that has all the information that is need to log the incoming firearm into my log. Everybody else includes a copy.

I always sent a copy of mine but have a stamp that says "FILE COPY" and then write on it "For Mailing/Shipping Only. NO Face to Face". That will be my next stamp.

Sponsored Links