Electronic bound book?

This is a discussion on Electronic bound book? within the FFL Dealer Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know this has prob been a wore out subject, but those of you who have FFL's, do you keep your bound book electronically? If ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Electronic bound book?

Electronic bound book?

I know this has prob been a wore out subject, but those of you who have FFL's, do you keep your bound book electronically? If so what program or software do you use? I just opened a pawn shop and we are close to getting our license. So far, fastboundbook.com seems to have the best program IMO, but I'm new to this and don't know. I'm open to your expert opinions and suggestions.

2. Remove Ads

I just put everything in an excel file as a backup and quick reference to my bound books. However nothing beats an ordinary physical A&D Bound Book.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    FFL 07 / SOT 2. I run a small hobby shop that makes custom firearms, and high performance ammunition.

AIMI ebook lite

I've used AIMI ebook lite for about 2 years. It's free if you move less than 500 firearms per year. Great for a small FFL...

They're expensive if you go out of the free version.

I think it's great...

Coloseum Software
    latentcarry likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeMan View Post
    So far, fastboundbook.com seems to have the best program IMO, but I'm new to this and don't know.
    I've been using Fast Bound, but I'm just a C&R so the personal subscription (free) is fine for me. But I'm looking at moving off it, I kind of want something I fully control. Especially if I move to a 01 FFL and become a small dealer.

Jeff

Thanks guys. I appreciate the replys. I'll look into those options.

VIP Member
    'Not an FFL, but data is my thing. Don't forget to keep an offsite backup of your backup.

I have a dedicated backup drive at home that does a daily backup of my work backup drive. I use Retrospect for the office backup software and Gbridge as the freeware to do the secure tunneling & backup to my office 'puter.
    lionround likes this.

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    'Not an FFL, but data is my thing. Don't forget to keep an offsite backup of your backup.

I have a dedicated backup drive at home that does a daily backup of my work backup drive. I use Retrospect for the office backup software and Gbridge as the freeware to do the secure tunneling & backup to my office 'puter.
    I totally concur. Automated backup so you can't forget or if you are not there at the right time, it's automatic.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    I busted a mirror and got seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

AIMI is the way to go.
    | Type 01 FFL / SOT |
    | NC CHP Instructor | NRA Pistol Instructor |

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaFirearms View Post
    I just put everything in an excel file as a backup and quick reference to my bound books. However nothing beats an ordinary physical A&D Bound Book.
    If I knew what an Excel File was I might use it. But knowing ATFE as I do I'd first and foremost use the old fashioned physical bound book and secure in fire PROOF safe at closing. Randy Weaver comes to mind.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Don't risk it for sure.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Contact your local BATFE industry operations office. Most don't care how you record A&D either electronically or by hand. What they will tell you or should tell you, is that weather you use a simple Excel spreadsheet or a sophisticated database, you should regularly print out the electronic data. You are responsible at all times for keeping your bound book current. If audited, only a current hard copy is acceptable. If you want a pretty good database, you can obtain one from Sports South's IT Department if you have an account with them. It is called FMS.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Bound Book Software

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeMan View Post
    I know this has prob been a wore out subject, but those of you who have FFL's, do you keep your bound book electronically? If so what program or software do you use? I just opened a pawn shop and we are close to getting our license. So far, fastboundbook.com seems to have the best program IMO, but I'm new to this and don't know. I'm open to your expert opinions and suggestions.
    There is a new one call FFL Tools. You can download it for free at FFL Tools Copyright 2013 for a 30 day trial.
    Tim

When I switched computer systems maybe 8 years ago I could not use the data base that i used for 10 years. When I called ATF they said that there is no requirement to provide them with your system your are using like they required in the 80s. It just had to be able to retrieve records when asked and keep the transactions in some organized order.

I ended up using an Excel spreadsheet that works great and I have the software backed up to a cloud. It backs up and file that been changed. When I say changed, if I go from a "," to a ".", it will back up the file.

VIP Member
    And if there is an extended power outage, or if the servers where your data is stored implode????????

To my admittedly old mind there is still no substitute for paper - kept in a very locked, SAFE place.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LewisTactical View Post
    There is a new one call FFL Tools. You can download it for free at FFL Tools Copyright 2013 for a 30 day trial.
    Tim
    $495.00 seems kind of pricey to me.

FWIW, HERE is a .xls template you can modify
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links