How do ffl type 07's typically serialize their guns, need advice please help!

This is a discussion on How do ffl type 07's typically serialize their guns, need advice please help! within the FFL Dealer Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I applied for my Type 1 ffl, and I just had my atf interview; during the interview i found out that I would need a ...

Thread: How do ffl type 07's typically serialize their guns, need advice please help!

I applied for my Type 1 ffl, and I just had my atf interview; during the interview i found out that I would need a type seven FFL instead (I am amending my application), because i want to be able to change certain parts out, and sell slightly modified guns. I was informed that i would need a type 07 ffl, and that i would need to add a serial number to each gun that I modified. I really need help in this area, could someone please advise me, I need info about ways to add serial numbers myself, what are the best options? How do those of you who hold type sevens do it?

Senior Moderator
    I take mine to a trophy shop and stand there while they do it. It typically costs 14-20 bucks.
    It has to be .003 deep so your traditional lasers wont do it.
    For some stuff I have a stamp set. I made a jig to hold them properly to keep them aligned.

Also, if the gun already has a serial number, you don't need another one.
    If you modify it you may have to put your name and address on it.

If you make a gun from scratch, then you need to put a number on it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Atf are idiots... Putting 2 sn's on gun is asking for paper work issues

I would think adding a prefix or sufix letter to the existing serial would do. It has to be a unique serial. You also have to add your name, city and state, "If" you are concidered to have manufactured the gun. I dont see where "adding certian parts" would be manufacturing tho. The ATF is who you need to be getting this info from tho. Get it in writting, and be clear about what you are adding to the gun in your letters. Also ask directly about a new serial or a modified one. Good luck DR

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    I would think adding a prefix or sufix letter to the existing serial would do. It has to be a unique serial. You also have to add your name, city and state, "If" you are concidered to have manufactured the gun. I dont see where "adding certian parts" would be manufacturing tho. The ATF is who you need to be getting this info from tho. Get it in writting, and be clear about what you are adding to the gun in your letters. Also ask directly about a new serial or a modified one. Good luck DR

The atf investigator told me that even if i changed out a stock for a tactical stock, or added a fore grip, that i would technically be creating a new firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I take mine to a trophy shop and stand there while they do it. It typically costs 14-20 bucks.
    It has to be .003 deep so your traditional lasers wont do it.
    For some stuff I have a stamp set. I made a jig to hold them properly to keep them aligned.

Also, if the gun already has a serial number, you don't need another one.
    If you modify it you may have to put your name and address on it.

If you make a gun from scratch, then you need to put a number on it.

Thank you for the advice, could you please explain the stamping process and what is needed.

Senior Moderator
    Not much to tell on the stamps.

You take a stamp, place it where you want it and whack it with a hammer. Then, you take the next stamp, put it right beside the last stamp and whack it again.

If you chop a barrel and turn it into a short barreled rifle, its now a different configuration than it was so you need to mark it with your Trade Name, city and state.
    If you turn a shotgun into an SBS, same thing.
    If you turn one into select fire, same thing.

If you need stamps, start at Brownells. They sell the whole kit with letters and numbers.
    If you don't want to do that, you can engrave them on there if you have the equipment to do it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

You only need to serialize the receivers for a Title 1. However if it's already serialize by another manufacturer just leave it as is.

The way I do it is just do a Manufacturer Variance on all the lowers I purchase.
    FFL 07 / SOT 2. I run a small hobby shop that makes custom firearms, and high performance ammunition.

Again Id ask for clairification In writing. Changing a stock does not change it into a new gun! cutting the barrel short enough to make it a short barreled gun would. But bolt on parts that dont shorten the over all length to below the min length would not. If you have not altered the gun into a NFA regulated firearm it should not need to be re marked. But the way to know for sure is write the clarification letter! DR

Senior Moderator
    You don't need a clarification letter. You couldn't get two of them to agree to say the same thing anyway.

Just read the regulations.

The ATF makes up stuff as they go. Their definition of manufacturing is different than any other.
    That's why they want you to have an 07 to do a lot of common gunsmith work like changing sights or profiling barrels.

Read the guide (that you should have been provided) and understand it.

http://www.atf.gov/files/publication...f-p-5300-4.pdf

It'll take a few minutes to download, so give it a chance.

You wont get a clarification letter for stuff that is outlined in the Handbook, as they assume that you can read. The clarification letters go out only if there is a question or a gray area to look into. Other wise, they'll just refer you to the Handbook.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Sponsored Links