FFL 08 or 11 importer needed for form 6 import.

This is a discussion on FFL 08 or 11 importer needed for form 6 import. within the FFL Dealer Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello everyone, I am new to your forum and have come here with a specific request for an FFL 08 or 11 importer to assist ...

Thread: FFL 08 or 11 importer needed for form 6 import.

Hello everyone, I am new to your forum and have come here with a specific request for an FFL 08 or 11 importer to assist my organization with importation of waterfowl loads from France.

The Tyger - Enoree River Alliance is a 501 (c) 3 charity organization that advocates for the tyger and Enoree Rivers in the Sumter National Forest of SC. We have nearly 200,000 acres of public gamelands here with 5 federally managed waterfowl areas. Our group was founded by and is operated by a handful of avid waterfowl hunters. Three years ago we began a program that is researching the development of waterfowl loads that incorporate fiber shot cups and waddings, rather than plastics. In our first year of the program, we featured Gambore "Bio - Wad" Silver Steel loads, manufactured in the UK and imported by Kent Cartridge of West Virginia. We first range tested these loads for performance, patterning and shooting clays by professional competition shooters. After their approval, we distributed boxes of shells to hunters in our waterfowl areas, along with a survey card developed by Dale Humburg, Chief Biologist for Ducks Unlimited. Hunters were questioned on performance of the loads, comparability to their regular loads, wound / kill ratios, etc. in order to develop a market viability report for these type of loads. The response to the loads was an over all 92% favorable rating of the product.

This year, our program would like to test a new load, manufactured by J.C. Shotwell and Sons in France. Like the Gambore loads, these loads incorporate bio degradable components into not only waterfowl loads, but small game, dove and upland loads for pheasant and quail.

However, unlike Gambore, J.C. Shotwell does not have a US counterpart to import their product into the country. This has left us searching for the proper FFL importers to do the form 6 work to get a case of these shells into the country from France for our preliminary testing. We have PLENTY of FFL holders who originally said they would help.... but quickly we found that it requires a particular grade of FFL to import even sporting loads into the US.

So, if anyone out there would like to help try and help us out, you can first learn a little about our organization at Tyger Enoree River Alliance . If you think you could help us out, please, find my contact info there and send me a note or give me a call. We think this is a very worthy program and we would like to get these shells here in time to perform our range testing before waterfowl season is upon us.

Thank you,

Jon Durham

You only need a 08 FFL. A 11 FFL is for destructive devices, and from what you outlined it does not look like a destructive device.
    FFL 07 / SOT 2. I run a small hobby shop that makes custom firearms, and high performance ammunition.

Either 08 or 11 can register to import ammunition, as I understand it.

Anyway, my regional AFT office called me later this afternoon and the agent tells me that we can likely import this ammunition ourselves, without an FFL license at all, considering that it is a) ammunition and not a firearm and b) it is not for resale but for evaluation purposes only.

They are supposed to get back with me tomorrow (although the agent did say it could be after the 4th since lots of people were on vacation) and confirm that we can import via form 6 ourselves, without an FFL.

Will be interesting to see if we can. There have been a couple of interesting challenges to this. First, the only two 08 FFL holders we've located even willing to talk to us, want $500 to fill out the import form. We're a charity... we don't have that sort of money to throw around. Second, when we decided to just get our own 08 FFL, we reached a point on the application that said:

"Do you intend to make a profit by the sale of the items you import?"

If you answer "no" to this question, the ATF says you can't have an 08 license. The explanation of this was that the ATF only issues import license to legitimate dealers with store fronts and verifiable business interest, and that they do not issue import license to hobbiest and back yard enthusiast.

So... we are a legitimate Corporation with a store front and a legitimate reason for import, we are completely above board BUT... we are a NON PROFIT organization. I can't tell the ATF that we intend to turn a profit on anything we do, much less on ammunition. This seemed to be a unique situation for the agents I spoke with.

So anyway, still looking for an 08 or 11 that might help us with form 6 import if we are unable to get these in ourselves.

Thanks.

A FFL is only if you intend to do business and make a profit. You can do a Form 6, and the ATF should approve it. Just as long as you don't resale the ammo.
    FFL 07 / SOT 2. I run a small hobby shop that makes custom firearms, and high performance ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaFirearms View Post
    A FFL is only if you intend to do business and make a profit. You can do a Form 6, and the ATF should approve it. Just as long as you don't resale the ammo.
    Which is what the ATF finally tells us. Should have just come here and asked you first!

Thanks,

JD

Sponsored Links