Home based FFL's

Home based FFL's

This is a discussion on Home based FFL's within the FFL Dealer Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey again, I didn't think this was appropriate for my other thread, so I hope no one minds that I made this one. I am ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Home based FFL's

Home based FFL's

Hey again,
    I didn't think this was appropriate for my other thread, so I hope no one minds that I made this one.
    I am want to get my 07 FFL for strictly internet sales online which basically means I only ship to other FFL's. I was reading over the form 7 and FAQ and the ATF stated that they will refer to state and local zoning and commission laws. I live in Nevada, so we are gun friendly. I looked on my county's website, and read the zoning ordinances, but all I could find form home based business is that a person may not sell tear gas. In their zoning requirements it says nothing about home based FFL's. Should I call the county zoning and planning commission? I want to form this company as an LLC, and that alone is 600$, plus another 75$ business license fee, so I want to make sure that my county allows this before I drop 700$ on forming an LLC. Any suggestions?
    -Linny

VIP Member
    I just set up an LLC for under $150 bucks, Why is it 600? Just need to go online with your credit card. Once set up you can enjoy some write offs.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

did you use legal zoom? I guess I should do a basic filing then, and does that filing get you a federal EIN?

Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Hey again,
    I didn't think this was appropriate for my other thread, so I hope no one minds that I made this one.
    I am want to get my 07 FFL for strictly internet sales online which basically means I only ship to other FFL's. I was reading over the form 7 and FAQ and the ATF stated that they will refer to state and local zoning and commission laws. I live in Nevada, so we are gun friendly. I looked on my county's website, and read the zoning ordinances, but all I could find form home based business is that a person may not sell tear gas. In their zoning requirements it says nothing about home based FFL's. Should I call the county zoning and planning commission? I want to form this company as an LLC, and that alone is 600$, plus another 75$ business license fee, so I want to make sure that my county allows this before I drop 700$ on forming an LLC. Any suggestions?
    -Linny
    I would just do it as a corporation, and just incorporate in Delware for maximum corporate protection. Plus it's cheaper. I got a 07 at my home, and a 07/08 SOT 2 at my business place. Pretty easy to get just as long as you meet the zoning requirements. You should also make sure you have a proper magazine if you will also be dealing with ammunition. Don't forget the annual ITAR fee of $2,250.
    FFL 07 / SOT 2. I run a small hobby shop that makes custom firearms, and high performance ammunition.

Back in the mid 80s I tried to get a business license in my town for a home based biz as I had an FFL too. My big plan was sell the occasional handgun or rifle and maybe some ammo. Too bad back then that home made video hadn't been invented yet as the people I was dealing with were total anti nut jobs.

When I explained I might would sell ammo they wanted to know how much I might have on hand for sales. Not much perhaps 500 to 1000R says I. From the expressions on the 2 flunky bureaucrats faces one might think I'd said I was planning on selling tactical nukes or mustard gas I knew right there and then they'd never approve my application so I retrieved my paperwork and left. Grumble...

That was near 30 years ago. I hope your luck runs smoother than mine. Despite the Libtards in my area I live in a county that shows up as Red surrounded by a sea of blue along the I-5 corridor. Twenty years ago there was 12,000 Vets who lived here from WWII on, mostly out of towns.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    First, the FEIN is only a phone call away ... decide how you want to be taxed, as a C-, an S-, or an LLC taxed as an S-. Then call the IRS, wait on the phone, get a FEIN and you're all set.

Then file the LLC paperwork with the state .... shouldn't be anywhere near $600.00, the $100 to $150 range is more like it.

BUT .... before you do any of that: beyond the Federal need for the FFL, which is one very large hurdle, the real governance here is the state and local legal environment, in other words will they let you do that. So before you bother filing for the FFL check with the state first, if the state simply defers to the local then check with the local, then go in and talk to the local, then file papers with the local and walk them through it. Then seek the FFL to mate up with your new FEIN.

If you clear that hurdle all you need is a web site.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Just got of the phone with the State Department DDTC. *facepalm, the guy on the phone was obviously anti-gun, when I was asking him about the ITAR fee for a type 07 FFL, he responds very tersely, "Why do you need a type 07 FFL? What are you going to be manufacturing?" I also had to explain to him what an NFA item is. Isn't this what he gets paid for? Our tax dollars at work. 2,250 is pretty steep, I hate bureaucrats. I won't be surprised if Eric Holder seizes my phone records.

Check city ordinances too.

And put it this way, if you want to be in the firearms industry and a $2250 annual fee for manufacturing is going to make or break your bottom line, maybe not manufacture and figure something else out to do besides try to run an expensive hobby. I see this a lot where potential 07s freak out about a $2250 fee but want to carry $50,000 in inventory to start with. If you're going into the NFA niche, that fee is nothing more than a mosquito buzzing around you. Squash it and go on with life.
    SIGP250 likes this.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    A few recommendations if you are going to run an FFL out of your home.

Have a separate door for the "office" where people enter your business, not through the general home. Have a separate room for your business, no a room that is also your den or tv room, this room should be for business only. Keep business and private finances completely separated.

Those little suggestions will keep the ATF off your back.

I already checked zoning and planning, my lot is zoned multi use, and only provision in prohibited business, is I can't run a brothel or strip club within 1000 feet of a kindergarden, and I can't sell tear gas. NFA, I don't know, I have a friend who is an NRA instructor, I'm not freaking out about the ITAR fee, as much as I think it's Bull. The guy on the phone with the state department didn't help either. I know I can make money doing it, it's just jumping through all the hoops first (LLC, ATF, ITAR, Business license etc)
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; January 7th, 2014 at 10:43 PM.

Evening. I have an FFL 07 and run an internet LLC out of my house. No issues here in Colorado. FFL 07 cost was $150 for 3 years. I think I registered LLC for about 50 or so plus Colorado Employeer tax stuff. Be warned however that there may be ITAR issues that I've been reading about abd registering for that is $2250 per year. You get nothing for it but government oversight. I haven't really been engaged in manufacturing yet and maybe I might hold off until I know more about this large goose egg.

Gary
    Strunk Tactical Arms LLC.

Home Based FFL Advice

So im in the process now
    Nov 17 sent app
    Nov 22 Charged my Credit card
    Nov 16th set up interview
    Nov 19th-2013 a had hour long interview went well we went over a checklist and i showed him my,LLC,EIN,TAX LICENSE,BUISNESS LICENSE he said it might take a few weeks my local ATF department is in Denver I'm in Aurora any advice and stories how long it took to get your FFL After the interview.

Quote Originally Posted by gstrunk View Post
    Evening. I have an FFL 07 and run an internet LLC out of my house. No issues here in Colorado. FFL 07 cost was $150 for 3 years. I think I registered LLC for about 50 or so plus Colorado Employeer tax stuff. Be warned however that there may be ITAR issues that I've been reading about abd registering for that is $2250 per year. You get nothing for it but government oversight. I haven't really been engaged in manufacturing yet and maybe I might hold off until I know more about this large goose egg.

Gary
    Strunk Tactical Arms LLC.
    Doesn't matter if you are engaged in manufacturing or not. State Department says if you are required to have a manufacturing FFL, the State Dept considers you a manufacturer and you must register.

This is part of an email exchange I had with the State Department getting answers to share on a dealer only forum about the ITAR topic:
    Generally, speaking if ATF requires you to have an 07 or 06 FFL, DDTC considers you a manufacturer of US Munitions List items and requires you to register with DDTC. The exception would be for the manufacture of sporting shotguns and their ammunition. Assembly of firearms, such as AR-15s, using parts from various manufacturers, is deemed to be part of the manufacturing process and requires registration with DDTC.

Stephen M. Geis
    DDTC Response Team
    Contractor, XL

Notice the words "generally" and "the exception", emphasis on "the" as in singular and only.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

No you do not need to register with DDTC if you are not manufacturing.I asked that question directly to DDTC. However you must have not previously started. For example you haven't started any ammunition production, or manufactured any firearms already.

My email exchange

You are required to be registered when actually manufacturing, but please note that the registration process for first time registrants now takes about 7 weeks to complete.

Stephen M. Geis
    DDTC Response Team
    Contractor, XL
    NOTE: Information in this message generally discusses controls and information contained in the Arms Export Control Act and International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), both of which are authoritative on this matter. The Response Team fields basic process and status questions, and assists exporters in identifying how to get answers to more complex questions handled by the Directorate of Defense Trade Control's licensing and compliance offices. The Response Team's services are not a substitute or replacement for the advisory opinion, general correspondence, and commodity jurisdiction processes delineated in the ITAR, which should be used to obtain authoritative guidance on export control issues, and do not in any way relieve exporters from their responsibilities to comply fully with the law and regulations.
    FFL 07 / SOT 2. I run a small hobby shop that makes custom firearms, and high performance ammunition.

The State Department's position now is that if you are licensed, you are a manufacturer and need to be registered. My email was from December 17, 2013.

The above statement about "actually" manufacturing was the determination for a few years, but since November 2012 they changed their position. Licensing alone is grounds for registration. Times have changed.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links