I know that I asked this before but could not find it

This is a discussion on I know that I asked this before but could not find it within the FFL Dealer Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Who are you buying from that does not require you have a store front. I do have a sales tax number. Most of my sales ...

Thread: I know that I asked this before but could not find it

Who are you buying from that does not require you have a store front. I do have a sales tax number.

Most of my sales are to LEO and military. I have been doing this for many years and it seems that I am running out of dealers to buy from.

Thanks,

ricky

Selling to the military at home? How did you get your CAGE/GSA procurement schedule at home? I sell the the military as well, but we have a commercial place.

As for parts I just go straight to manufacturer and skip the distributors. I've done that ever since I was home based, and never had a problem of them asking if I was home based. You just need deep pockets and pretty good D&B credit record.
    FFL 07 / SOT 2. I run a small hobby shop that makes custom firearms, and high performance ammunition.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KnotRight View Post
    Who are you buying from that does not require you have a store front. I do have a sales tax number.

Most of my sales are to LEO and military. I have been doing this for many years and it seems that I am running out of dealers to buy from.

Thanks,

ricky
    Midway USA, Sportsman's and Brownells don't actually have walk-on store fronts. They sell only by internet/mail order. For that matter Amazon does not have a store front. They have warehouses and/or distribution centers but no walk-in over the counter traffic.. This is not really any different than a home based business plan except on a much larger scale.

Chances of selling to the Military unless your name is Ronny Barrett is pretty slim to nil. Same goes for law enforcement. Almost all agencies procure direct either from distributors or by contracts with manufactures.

Most who tell you they are selling to a Federal government agency or the military are blowing smoke. There are only a handful of dealers who have been successful selling to Law enforcement. Most of these only locally administer direct contracts between LE agencies and manufactures.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

VIP Member
    I think he means he sells to members of the military and to LEOs, not the agencies themselves.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    Midway USA, Sportsman's and Brownells don't actually have walk-on store fronts. They sell only by internet/mail order. For that matter Amazon does not have a store front. They have warehouses and/or distribution centers but no walk-in over the counter traffic.. This is not really any different than a home based business plan except on a much larger scale.

Chances of selling to the Military unless your name is Ronny Barrett is pretty slim to nil. Same goes for law enforcement. Almost all agencies procure direct either from distributors or by contracts with manufactures.

Most who tell you they are selling to a Federal government agency or the military are blowing smoke. There are only a handful of dealers who have been successful selling to Law enforcement. Most of these only locally administer direct contracts between LE agencies and manufactures.
    Untrue, unless you are the sole manufacturer of the product or service everyone goes through the RFQ process. As for me I do go up against large businesses, but because I'm certified SDVBO, VO, Minority Owned, Small Business, and Hubzoned the chances are I will always win against large businesses when it comes to bids. However the real challenge is the small businesses that bid for the same solicitation.

To tell you the truth I've never ever seen a solicitation for firearms or ammunition. Usually the ones I win are for random things that do not even come close to firearms or my primary NAICS. For example I've won bids for office equipment, and supplies, several server racks for networking, furniture, and electrical equipment. GSA RFQs come in everyday, but none of them are for firearms, or tactical equipment.
    FFL 07 / SOT 2. I run a small hobby shop that makes custom firearms, and high performance ammunition.

Echo_Four is correct. I try to help out members of the military and LEOs.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaFirearms View Post
    Untrue, unless you are the sole manufacturer of the product or service everyone goes through the RFQ process. As for me I do go up against large businesses, but because I'm certified SDVBO, VO, Minority Owned, Small Business, and Hubzoned the chances are I will always win against large businesses when it comes to bids. However the real challenge is the small businesses that bid for the same solicitation.

To tell you the truth I've never ever seen a solicitation for firearms or ammunition. Usually the ones I win are for random things that do not even come close to firearms or my primary NAICS. For example I've won bids for office equipment, and supplies, several server racks for networking, furniture, and electrical equipment. GSA RFQs come in everyday, but none of them are for firearms, or tactical equipment.
    You are correct about GSA procurement and the RFQ process. I know of a small manufacturer of office chairs that won a 3 year winner take all contract to supply office chairs for all federal government offices except air traffic controllers. They won the contract but soon defaulted because they could not possibly fulfill the contract.

As far as I know, GSA does not let contracts for military gear, weapons or ammunition. I think these items are all procured by The Department of Defense or directly by the various branches under it.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Lipseys and RSR are OK with homebased FFLs.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Sponsored Links