gun purchase

This is a discussion on gun purchase within the FFL Dealer Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I live in wisconsin and want to buy a private party gun in florida. I have family in florida to do a ftf. Can they ...

Like Tree18Likes
  • 1 Post By smoker62
  • 2 Post By GlassWolf
  • 1 Post By smoker62
  • 1 Post By smoker62
  • 1 Post By gatorbait51
  • 2 Post By high pockets
  • 1 Post By smoker62
  • 2 Post By HotGuns
  • 1 Post By smoker62
  • 1 Post By high pockets
  • 1 Post By HotGuns
  • 1 Post By jca1

Thread: gun purchase

gun purchase

I live in wisconsin and want to buy a private party gun in florida. I have family in florida to do a ftf. Can they buy it and ship it to me or does it need to go to a ffl ?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    It has to go through an FFL to go between states, unless the gun is in your name, and you're shipping it to yourself, like as in sending a hunting rifle ahead of you for a hunting trip out of state, if I recall correctly.
    gatorbait51 and smoker62 like this.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    Call a lawyer
    Well, I could have done that but I thought I would seek advice first, from knowledgeable people on this forum. I guess that is not you but thanks for the tip.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by deadsexy View Post
    You ask for advice then get snarky have it shipped get arrested I hope it makes the news so I can laugh. The right way is through a dealer.
    I wasnt getting "snarky" . Call a lawyer is advice I could get from my Facebook friends . I came to this forum as a newbie so I could get experienced gun enthusiasts advice. No disrespect intended to the other poster but his comment seemed a little condescending . If its that thin skinned around here I will move on , sorry. I see your a newbie too, you want to laugh at someone asking for advice. Thats not right is it ? And your representing cc holders ? Maybe I happened on the wrong forum.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smoker62 View Post
    Well, I could have done that but I thought I would seek advice first, from knowledgeable people on this forum. I guess that is not you but thanks for the tip.
    You might be better off FFL to FFL. It is a pretty painless process. Does this help at all?
    smoker62 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by smoker62 View Post
    I live in wisconsin and want to buy a private party gun in florida. I have family in florida to do a ftf. Can they buy it and ship it to me or does it need to go to a ffl ?
    This is called a "straw purchase" and will land you in very deep Federal hot water.

BTW - Welcome to the forum!

We generally respond to almost all legal questions with "contact a lawyer" because none of us are, and our experience means diddly when it comes to whether or not you go to jail.

IANAL, and I haven't stayed at a Holiday Inn Express in years, but I still think you should run this transfer through a FFL.
    gatorbait51 and smoker62 like this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    This is called a "straw purchase" and will land you in very deep Federal hot water.

BTW - Welcome to the forum!

We generally respond to almost all legal questions with "contact a lawyer" because none of us are, and our experience means diddly when it comes to whether or not you go to jail.

IANAL, and I haven't stayed at a Holiday Inn Express in years, but I still think you should run this transfer through a FFL.

Thanks guys , thats all that I was looking for. I will contact a local FFL and see if I can have it shipped to him. No disrespect intended to the lawyer comment. I apologize if I came off as " snarky" not sure what that means though.

What happened to the other guys posts ??
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Straw purchase only applies if a 4473 is required. As of right now, private party purchases of used guns is still legal.

If it is legal in Wisconsin and it is legal in Florida you can buy the private party gun as there would be no regulation against it.

However, when shipping across state lines, there needs to be an FFL to receive it.
    smoker62 and SIGP250 like this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Thanks, so it sounds like my sister can buy the gun. I can buy it from her through an FFL deal. Thank you very much.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Thanks, HG. I misread the part about the sister purchasing from a private owner.

I'm glad we keep you around to interpret those pesky BATFE regs.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Senior Moderator
    They are pesky for sure...
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Contact the seller and ask if he will ship to an FFL at your expense. If he says no then look somewhere else. If he says yes then find a FFL in your area who will accept the gun from the seller, send the FFL's info along with payment to the seller. The seller will send a copy of his DL to the FFL with the gun, the FFL will transfer ownership of the gun from the seller to you.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    If you don't know the real and correct answer, please don't make stuff up. Not even close to being a straw purchase.

No it isn't a straw purchase. It crosses state lines so it must be received by an FFL in WI to transfer to you on a 4473 if you pass a background check.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    As I mentioned, you can ship it to your self in another state, if the gun is yours
    . From the ATF site
    "Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm."

HERE is the link to it.

If you ship it to a dealer in another state, said dealer will have to do a 4473 and since you are shipping a handgun, you could not get it from said dealer in another state.

For UPS, you must ship it Next Day Air from one of their hubs, not a UPS Store.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Links