Hypothetical Transaction

This is a discussion on Hypothetical Transaction within the FFL Dealer Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I entered a gun raffle the other day not because I wanted the gun (some tricked out sporterized AR), but because I wanted to support ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By patri0t
  • 1 Post By gasmitty

Thread: Hypothetical Transaction

Hypothetical Transaction

I entered a gun raffle the other day not because I wanted the gun (some tricked out sporterized AR), but because I wanted to support the organization. Hypothetically, if I win, would I have to take possession of it from the shop I have it sent to, or would I be able to trade it in as new for something else (assuming the shop wanted the trade)?

2. Remove Ads

I'm sure the shop would be happy to give you something that costs them less.
    StormRhydr, blitzburgh and PEF like this.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

VIP Member
    I'm assuming the rifle is new, so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to trade it in as new. I'd probably try to do so at a different shop than the one I took possession of it at though.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin

"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    I'm assuming the rifle is new, so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to trade it in as new. I'd probably try to do so at a different shop than the one I took possession of it at though.
    Whys that?

VIP Member
    I'd only worry about it if you win.

I'll play the powerball with it gets over 200 million, but I won't worry about taxes until I win. (I never play for less than 200 million, as I could not bear the shame of being a mere penny millionaire.)
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    I'd only worry about it if you win.

I'll play the powerball with it gets over 200 million, but I won't worry about taxes until I win. (I never play for less than 200 million, as I could not bear the shame of being a mere penny millionaire.)
    While I really hope I win, I was mostly curious. Out of all of these raffles and giveaways online, there has to be a few winners that hate their prize.

Don't forget to pay the income tax on the FMV
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

VIP Member
    I think there might be issues re "new" as to warranty. Some warranties only run with the original owner. Others run with the gun. Once you have it, and transfer title, the warranty may vaporize, which would certainly preclude a reputable dealer from selling the gun as "new."

Question for FFL holders here. Is there some statutory scheme that defines a gun as being "new" only when it has not been transferred to an end buyer/consumer?

E.g., Purchaser buys a gun NIB from an LGS, then the next day regrets the purchase and "Returns" the gun in the unopened box for a very gracious full refund by a Saintly LGS.

However, there is now a transfer on the books of LGS of the gun to the first purchaser. Can the LGS then legally turn around and sell the gun as "new?"
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Quote Originally Posted by tubadude View Post
    I entered a gun raffle the other day not because I wanted the gun (some tricked out sporterized AR), but because I wanted to support the organization. Hypothetically, if I win, would I have to take possession of it from the shop I have it sent to, or would I be able to trade it in as new for something else (assuming the shop wanted the trade)?
    Depends on the raffle and who's running it. Having run a few raffles for a local club over the years, we offered specific guns that we got deals on. A big org like NRA likewise gets guns donated for their raffles. When it's time to collect, your local stocking gun store is usually just a transfer agent, with no financial skin in the game. In that case, if you want to trade, chances are it will be based on a cost-to-them basis, and not retail value.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    If you were to win a gun from a raffle or in my neck of the woods, the purchase of a new truck, UTV sometimes includes a free rifle. The firearm would be transferred to you via a local dealer. A transfer fee may or may not be included however the dealer who transfers the firearm to you should not collect sales tax. Once you have possession of the firearm, you are free to sell it however you wish. You may sell it yourself privately or offer it for trade/cash to the transferring dealer or any other dealer.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Good luck, Hope you win! then worry about it.

Links