FFL For Ammo?

FFL For Ammo?

This is a discussion on FFL For Ammo? within the FFL Dealer Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey Fellas', got my FFL packet on its way. I'd like to sell reloaded ammunition that I make. Do I need another Type FFL, other ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By HotGuns
  • 2 Post By ShooterGranny
  • 1 Post By SgtRick
  • 1 Post By ShooterGranny

Thread: FFL For Ammo?

FFL For Ammo?

Hey Fellas', got my FFL packet on its way. I'd like to sell reloaded ammunition that I make. Do I need another Type FFL, other than the standard firearms one? I can't find an answer to my question on BATF site. Thanks for any help.

Senior Moderator
    That would be an 06 FFL. You don't need it to sell commercial ammo, but you do need it to sell reloads.

And, you have to pay FAET on each box that you sel. (Federal Arms Excise Tax), unless you have an O7 FFL in which that is included.
    WrongRecroom and SIGP250 like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Thanks HotGuns!

Don't forget to talk to your insurance agent.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

You need to register for ITAR. $2,250 per year and there is no exemption for cartridge ammunition, only for sporting shotgun ammo.

This was part of an email exchange I had with the State Department on December 17, 2013.

Rifles, hand guns, and combat shotguns and the ammunition for them are under the manufacturing and export jurisdiction of DDTC. The ITAR (Category I of the US Munitions List) makes no distinction between sporting and military rifles and handguns. All types require registration with DDTC for manufacture and /or export.

Sporting shotguns (those with barrels of at least 18 inches) and the ammunition for them are under the export jurisdiction of the Department of Commerce. And their manufacture or export does not require registration with DDTC.

Generally, speaking if ATF requires you to have an 07 or 06 FFL, DDTC considers you a manufacturer of US Munitions List items and requires you to register with DDTC. The exception would be for the manufacture of sporting shotguns and their ammunition. Assembly of firearms, such as AR-15s, using parts from various manufacturers, is deemed to be part of the manufacturing process and requires registration with DDTC.

Stephen M. Geis
    DDTC Response Team
    Contractor, XL
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

AMEN on the talk to your insurance agent. You are taking on a huge liability risk selling your home reloads. All you need is ONE bad round to blow up someone's gun.............We won't even share ours with good friends for this reason.
    SIGP250 and WrongRecroom like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

I never get that logic. If you can load ammunition for yourself that is safe, quality, and accurate for yourself why wouldn't you trust it for someone else? If you can't load ammunition that's safe for someone else, I wouldn't trust you to load ammo FOR YOURSELF.

Case in point 6.0gr WSF with a .45 caliber 230gr projectile of any make, profile, or alloy is going to be safe in a .45 ACP cartridge. If you do that, it's safe, quality and accurate. If you can't trust yourself to have that amount of quality control from one round to the next you have no business reloading ammunition in the first place.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

VIP Member
    Around here, I see at least a coupe ads every week in the free Weekly Trader for guys selling reloads. I doubt they know they are supposed to be licensed to manufacture reloads. They think of it the same as a FTF gun sale, selling a bale of hay or a tractor.

There are many who reload for themselves. Some folks cast their own bullets too. It is a craft that takes some skill to master and not for everyone.

If you are remanufacturing ammo for sale to the public, IMHO, it would be foolish not to have insurance. I'm sure that doesn't stop some from doing so though.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

I personally would never buy another persons reloads. How do I know what its loaded with and where do I find you after 1 of your reloads blows up my gun or hurts a family member?
    ShooterGranny likes this.

USMC Shooting Team
    Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
    Texas CHL since 1996.

Iraq 2004 to 2011.
    Afghanistan 2012 to present.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    I never get that logic. If you can load ammunition for yourself that is safe, quality, and accurate for yourself why wouldn't you trust it for someone else? If you can't load ammunition that's safe for someone else, I wouldn't trust you to load ammo FOR YOURSELF.

Case in point 6.0gr WSF with a .45 caliber 230gr projectile of any make, profile, or alloy is going to be safe in a .45 ACP cartridge. If you do that, it's safe, quality and accurate. If you can't trust yourself to have that amount of quality control from one round to the next you have no business reloading ammunition in the first place.
    It is NOT a matter of personal ability, quality control or trust. It is the fact that we live in a litigious society and it seems that anyone will sue anyone for anything. Why set yourself up?
    SIGP250 likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Quote Originally Posted by SgtRick View Post
    I personally would never buy another persons reloads. How do I know what its loaded with and where do I find you after 1 of your reloads blows up my gun or hurts a family member?
    Reloaded ammunition is no more dangerous than new brass ammo. You trust someone else's loads if you buy new ammo too.

Company listings are public. Don't buy from a website that doesn't list their street address. You don't know what Remington or Federal or Winchester loads in their ammo either. You want to know what's in the ammo, ask me and I'll provide the load data. Try that with Remington.

If you think "factory" brand name new ammo is immune to safety issues, it's not true at all.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    It is NOT a matter of personal ability, quality control or trust. It is the fact that we live in a litigious society and it seems that anyone will sue anyone for anything. Why set yourself up?
    With that logic, I should never leave the house either.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Sponsored Links