DA - Pistols

DA - Pistols

This is a discussion on DA - Pistols within the FFL Dealer Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Being next to impossible to find a S&W 642 for my son, I am looking at some DAO pistols. The one that caught my eye ...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By KnotRight
  • 3 Post By buckeye .45
  • 1 Post By medmunds21
  • 1 Post By GlassWolf
  • 1 Post By KnotRight
  • 1 Post By Wunderneun
  • 1 Post By RT
  • 1 Post By DetChris

Thread: DA - Pistols

DA - Pistols

Being next to impossible to find a S&W 642 for my son, I am looking at some DAO pistols. The one that caught my eye was the S&W MP9. I do not have any MP series in my personal collection and have not shot any.

Looking for suggestions on a gun for a guy that really not interesting in carrying but wants to have something in the house and car when traveling.

Thought about a Glock but like the size of the MP9.

When doing some research on if the Glock is SA or DA there really not an answer. I have a couple and never thought much about it. Even on Glock's website they do not comment either way. Just talk about the 3 safeties that are on the gun.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Glocks and M&P's are both what are called "striker fired," which is different than true DA or SA.

Both are great pistols.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

You can't go wrong with the M&P 9 or even the M&P 45. I have both. They are reliable & the M&P is a great CCW.
    I also have a glock 30's, which is great due to being a 45 Auto w/ 10 round mag.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "A free man is he who does not fear to go to the end of his thought."

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KnotRight View Post
    Being next to impossible to find a S&W 642 for my son, I am looking at some DAO pistols. The one that caught my eye was the S&W MP9. I do not have any MP series in my personal collection and have not shot any.

Looking for suggestions on a gun for a guy that really not interesting in carrying but wants to have something in the house and car when traveling.

Thought about a Glock but like the size of the MP9.

When doing some research on if the Glock is SA or DA there really not an answer. I have a couple and never thought much about it. Even on Glock's website they do not comment either way. Just talk about the 3 safeties that are on the gun.
    Walther PPQ. 9mm or .40 S&W, best out of the box trigger you'll see in a polymer framed handgun. reliable, fun to shoot, ergonomics are fantastic, it's affordable at around $500 new, and it's an SAO stiker fired gun. (like a Glock, but the gun remains fully cocked when the round is chambered, making it SAO, as opposed to the Glock which is half-cocked when racked, and pulling the trigger performs two actions, fully cocking the gun, and firing it, thus DAO.)
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

buckeye .45, when I was on the S&W website, most of the "striker actions" were listed as "striker actions" but the MP9 stated "Double Action Only". And I do understand about the striker actions and how they work (not being snobby when I say that).

I just want to make sure that when my son want to pull the trigger it is no accident.

I have a Glock 30 and 23 and love the gun but not sure if that is the gun for my son.

I also have a Taurus PT-145 that has been back to Taurus to get rebuilt and was thinking about giving it to him because of the double strike capabilities. But it is a SA action. Also, I would need to shoot another 3 to 400 rounds through the gun before I feel comfortable giving it to him or even carrying it myself.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    You could try searching Gun broker for a Walther P990. It was the DAO P99. Not currently manufactured, but still available.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    I like all kinds of foreign guns.

"Arm yourself because no one else here will save you..."

RT
    Quote Originally Posted by KnotRight View Post
    buckeye .45, when I was on the S&W website, most of the "striker actions" were listed as "striker actions" but the MP9 stated "Double Action Only". And I do understand about the striker actions and how they work (not being snobby when I say that).

I just want to make sure that when my son want to pull the trigger it is no accident.

I have a Glock 30 and 23 and love the gun but not sure if that is the gun for my son.

I also have a Taurus PT-145 that has been back to Taurus to get rebuilt and was thinking about giving it to him because of the double strike capabilities. But it is a SA action. Also, I would need to shoot another 3 to 400 rounds through the gun before I feel comfortable giving it to him or even carrying it myself.
    It may say that the M&P9 is DAO on the website, but the trigger pull on the M&P is worlds apart from the DA trigger pull on the 642. The trigger on my M&P is short and right around the 5.5lb range.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

DA - Pistols

If you're looking for a semi auto that has the long and stiff trigger pull of a S&W 642, give the SCCY CPX-2 a try. It's trigger is very revolver-like and has true re strike capability. It houses 10 + 1 9mm Luger cartridges and can be had for under $300. Great gun.

Glocks and M&P's are technically double action only, but in a striker fired sort of way. The trigger pull is short and relatively light (6 lb). Not at all like a revolver's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    the Walther P99AS is striker fired but operates like a SA/DA with decocker.

the Hk USP family of pistols are available in true DAO.

many SIG pistols are also available as a DAO

Glock has a pre-stressed striker which is pulled back further before release and is classified as DAO by the ATF but cannot preform a second strike.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Glocks and M&P's are both what are called "striker fired," which is different than true DA or SA.

Both are great pistols.
    What buckeye said.

Btw, I have both Glock 19s, and an M&P Compact 9mm. Both Id trust my life to. I took the M&P thru Fighting Pistol. 1K rounds in two days. It went toe to toe with the Glocks.

For a DAO pistol I find that the Sig P250 is about the best you can buy. Look up the specs on it and it will help make up your mind.

Sponsored Links