FFL dealer in both Florida and Wisconsin

This is a discussion on FFL dealer in both Florida and Wisconsin within the FFL Dealer Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I "live" in Florida for tax reasons...at a house I haven't even seen a picture of in over 6 months. I live in Wisconsin. Wisconsin ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rock and Glock

Thread: FFL dealer in both Florida and Wisconsin

I "live" in Florida for tax reasons...at a house I haven't even seen a picture of in over 6 months. I live in Wisconsin. Wisconsin dealers cannot do an FFL (or any sale) unless they are a chain with a store in Florida. So far Gander Mountain is the only store I've found...and they don't sell anything that I want (and don't already have). They seem to do everything they can to avoid doing a FFL transfer (probably because their rifles are marked up about 35%...Fleet Farm is selling the exact same $850 AK47 from gander for $600...and it isn't even on sale).

So...anyone know a store that will do an FFL that has locations in both Florida and Wisconsin? ...or do I need to fold my own receiver?

VIP Member
    Why not just simplify things and start buying off Gun Broker.
    Its very easy, you get what you want, just find an FFL close to you willing to do the deal for low money transfer.
    I deal with one by me, and he only charges $10
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

I "live" in Florida for tax reasons...at a house I haven't even seen a picture of in over 6 months.

What goes on on the internet,NEVER only stays on the internet!!!
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KillerBug View Post
    I "live" in Florida for tax reasons...at a house I haven't even seen a picture of in over 6 months. I live in Wisconsin. Wisconsin dealers cannot do an FFL (or any sale) unless they are a chain with a store in Florida. So far Gander Mountain is the only store I've found...and they don't sell anything that I want (and don't already have). They seem to do everything they can to avoid doing a FFL transfer (probably because their rifles are marked up about 35%...Fleet Farm is selling the exact same $850 AK47 from gander for $600...and it isn't even on sale).

So...anyone know a store that will do an FFL that has locations in both Florida and Wisconsin? ...or do I need to fold my own receiver?
    It is a fact, Gander Mountain is a rip off but that has nothing to do with weather you can buy a gun from them or any other dealer in WI. An FFL can sell you a hand gun or long gun in any state but the transaction must be completed in your legal state of residency (Form 4473 & BG check). The exception is that under federal law (CGA), rifles can be sold to you from any state provided that your state and the state you are buying from allow it. Florida Statute 790.28 allows for the purchase of a rifle or shotgun only in contiguous states so no nee to check WI. A rifle bought in WI would need to be shipped to FL, your legal state of residency. You can buy your rifle in any state or from an on-line dealer but it still needs to be transferred to a local FFL in FL.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

There is some confusion in your post that needs to be corrected ASAP.

First and foremost, given what you have provided, per the GCA, you are NOT a resident of the state of Florida. Per the GCA, to be considered a resident, you must be present in the state with the intention of making a home within the state. The GCA expressly states that merely owning a home in a given state does not qualify as residency. You have to actually reside there.

Per the GCA, you are a resident of the state of Wisconsin. You need not own land or possessions to be a resident there. Accordingly, if you attempt to buy a firearm in Wisconsin, you must, by federal law, identify yourself as a resident of the state of Wisconsin. The licensee in Wisconsin must obtain from you a government-issued document (there are several that qualify) that, among other things, establishes your state of residency. If you attempt to use a Florida driver's license as ID, and present yourself to a licensee in Wisconsin as a resident of the state of Florida, and they have a corporate presence in both Wisconsin and Florida, and the licensee in Wisconsin presents you with a Form 4473 to complete, and you place on the form that you are a resident of the state of Florida, and you sign it, you will have committed a felony. Per the GCA, given what you provided in your post, you are NOT a Florida resident.

You say you "reside" in Florida for tax purposes. I take that to mean that you do not have a Wisconsin driver's license, etc. If that is the case, as far as buying firearms is concerned, you are a man without a country. You cannot legally buy firearms in either state from a licensee. I can post all of the relevant GCA language if you need.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    It is a fact, Gander Mountain is a rip off but that has nothing to do with weather you can buy a gun from them or any other dealer in WI. An FFL can sell you a hand gun or long gun in any state but the transaction must be completed in your legal state of residency (Form 4473 & BG check). The exception is that under federal law (CGA), rifles can be sold to you from any state provided that your state and the state you are buying from allow it. Florida Statute 790.28 allows for the purchase of a rifle or shotgun only in contiguous states so no nee to check WI. A rifle bought in WI would need to be shipped to FL, your legal state of residency. You can buy your rifle in any state or from an on-line dealer but it still needs to be transferred to a local FFL in FL.
    Wonderful. So basically...

1.) If I buy a rifle online it must be shipped to Florida, where I receive it (after driving down) and then...
    2.) To get it to Wisconsin I have to ship it, and I can only do that to an FFL (I know for a fact it is illegal to ship myself a rifle in the mail/fedex/etc). I cannot drive it up, as it is illegal for me to transport it in a commercial vehicle.
    3.) Per Tampa FL police and Oshkosh WI police and Gander Mountain I can buy a rifle in Wisconsin...I've already gone through the process...complete with federal background check. I just cannot do it from a store that doesn't have a Florida location.

This is really screwed up. I guess I just need to offer to buy a rifle off my neighbor (private sale) and give him a link to where to buy...that or keep going to gun shows with hopes of finding the milled AK receiver and 700 SFV I've been wanting to get.

BTW...not worried about the tax thing; all legal since I spend most of my time on the road and actually spend more time in Florida than Wisconsin (I just don't go to the house).

You cannot live or reside in both locations. You live in one or the other. To argue otherwise is silly.

Stating you "live" in Florida for apparent tax reasons doesn't pass muster. Sorry. I've been doing state and local taxes for 30 + years.

Furthermore, posting the above in a public forum is beyond me. You're wasting our time, I've therefor closed this thread. Don't open a new open on the same topic.
    RETSUPT99 likes this.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Sponsored Links