A Vent

This is a discussion on A Vent within the FFL Dealer Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just gotta get this off my mind, as it's really burning a hole in me. Most of my online dealings have been purchases, though ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: A Vent

A Vent

I just gotta get this off my mind, as it's really burning a hole in me.

Most of my online dealings have been purchases, though I have sold a few C&R rifles.
    So speaking as a buyer, it would be nice if the turnaround on the sellers' end at least came close to matching how quickly I get them their requested payment method and FFL for the transfer. I'm not even in the business of selling and that's what I do.
    If after the sale they are going to take time off from their location to make the rounds to various gun shows and not even have someone verify they received my payment, let alone be in a postiion to ship my firearm, state so in the ad like some sellers do. Box it up and when my payment is received, have someone drop it in the mail or say you will not be shipping between such and such a date and I won't make a special trip to the bank and the PO. Geez. Is that so hard?

I was really looking forward to seeing it delivered today or tomorrow.
    Sigh...

2. Remove Ads

What he said!!
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

VIP Member
    Life's too short to let that burn you. I have the same problem, so here's what I do:

First, I assume that anything I order will have a delayed delivery. There are a shameful amount of vendors out there that list items as "in stock", when in fact some don't have a chance in hades of ever having it in stock. Next, I track it in my day-timer software, where it will remind me as time goes by. I have a "gun stuff on order" category where I track it all. Phone calls and emails get logged to each transaction. So, I don't worry my pretty little head over these things, knowing that I'll be reminded that some jerk is stringing me along, and I'll eventually cancel the order and have my credit card company back the charge out.

That's quite the system you have there, WHEC, lol.

Most local FFL's (where your gun has to ship to anyway) are glad to help you find what you need, and are usually pretty competitive. I don't mind paying a few dollars more to help my local FFL stick around, but I may just be lucky and have really good ones nearby.

You are correct, Thunder. And I buy from them every chance I get.
    I don't recall seeing any used, especially nice used, GCNM's in their cases though. I haven't even seen one of the new ones in person yet.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    You are correct, Thunder. And I buy from them every chance I get.
    I don't recall seeing any used, especially nice used, GCNM's in their cases though. I haven't even seen one of the new ones in person yet.
    Ah, now I understand your anguish better. Don't forget to post the pics when you finally get it.
    PAcanis likes this.

i agree we should buy from a local store when the item is available, but I find local prices are usually about 25% higher than a reputable internet dealer, si when it means an extra $100 or more on the purchase, it makes a difference

This. I found a LGS that has some pretty amazing stuff, plus you run a chance of getting burned. I got a tokarev from a dealer that wasn't too
    Truthful about the condition. Ended up not giving me the spare mag they promised. .02c
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Most local FFL's (where your gun has to ship to anyway) are glad to help you find what you need, and are usually pretty competitive. I don't mind paying a few dollars more to help my local FFL stick around, but I may just be lucky and have really good ones nearby.
    USMC 2009-2013 0341 Pfc-Cpl.
    OEF II 2 Pumps
    Escaped Californian
    My Blog http://renogunblog.blogspot.com/

So speaking as a buyer, it would be nice if the turnaround on the sellers' end at least came close to matching how quickly I get them their requested payment method and FFL for the transfer.
    Yup. Agreed.

I have always taken pains to document how I would behave as seller and what I'd require of the buyer. And I've always acted that way on either end ... speedy completion of my responsibilities. Generally, I've also had the sale unit cleaned and boxed up at the FFL shop awaiting arrival of payment, just as a sort of "escrow" type move on my part as the seller.

I dislike when the other party drags things out for no apparent reason, worse when the dragging is followed by waffling in the communications as to what the problem is.

Under-promise. Over-deliver. But, aim high. Works very nicely, all the way around.
    PAcanis likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Exactly.
    Anywhere in one of his replies he could have said no hurry, he'd be out for a week. He knew I got payment out the day after we agreed on price. He had my FFL. An "escrow move" by having it ready to go would have been nice on his part. I do the same thing and that's not how I make my living.
    Well put, sir.

VIP Member
    I just gotta get this off my mind, as it's really burning a hole in me.

Most of my online dealings have been purchases, though I have sold a few C&R rifles.
    So speaking as a buyer, it would be nice if the turnaround on the sellers' end at least came close to matching how quickly I get them their requested payment method and FFL for the transfer. I'm not even in the business of selling and that's what I do.
    If after the sale they are going to take time off from their location to make the rounds to various gun shows and not even have someone verify they received my payment, let alone be in a postiion to ship my firearm, state so in the ad like some sellers do. Box it up and when my payment is received, have someone drop it in the mail or say you will not be shipping between such and such a date and I won't make a special trip to the bank and the PO. Geez. Is that so hard?

I was really looking forward to seeing it delivered today or tomorrow.
    Sigh...
    I understand your frustration. Good customer service is VERY important to our business. Lack of follow through on a transaction is unacceptable and not a good way to win repeat business. You should have received an order acknowledgment along with shipping and tracking information. The common courtesy of a follow up call on the sellers part does not take much effort. Customers should not have to ask where their order is.

On your end, it might be wise for you to work out any details of your expectations with the seller as well as your local FFL in advance.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Thanks, Sig.
    Buying online certainly has a small learning curve. My first email will now include questions on shipping time/if they plan on leaving town for a week after the purchase, and if they are a one man show with no one to handle their business if they are away. I realize life happens, but this guy obviously knew he was going out of town.
    Fingers crossed for next week.
    SIGP250 likes this.

VIP Member
    Thanks, Sig.
    Buying online certainly has a small learning curve. My first email will now include questions on shipping time/if they plan on leaving town for a week after the purchase, and if they are a one man show with no one to handle their business if they are away. I realize life happens, but this guy obviously knew he was going out of town.
    Fingers crossed for next week.
    Your on-line buying experience should be painless.

A few things you might want to look for when buying on-line:

Is the e-store user friendly?

-It should be easy to navigate and organized. There should be multiple ways to find a product, by category, by manufacture, item search box, price range, etc.
    -it should be PCI compliant. Among other things, the website should have a Privacy policy, Terms and Conditions of Sale and Shipping and Return Policy.
    -It should be Secure. Look for a verified SSL certificate. Depending on your browser, once you begin the on-line checkout you should see a small lock icon. Look on the address bar. It should be showing HTTPS://www.xxx.com, not HTTP://www.xxx.com. The "S" signifies secure.
    -Does the website have a built-in FFL Finder? Most good websites will have a proximity finder that will find FFL's within a 5-10-25 to 50 mile radius of your home address.
    -There should be at least one way to contact the seller: 1.) E-mail. You should get a reply in no less than 12-24 hours. 2.) On-line chat. It should actually be manned. If it is unavailable, that could spell trouble. 3.) Does the seller publish a toll free phone number for you to speak to a real person? This is most important. If you are about to make a large (or small) purchase, speaking to a live, person is at least a fair indicator that the website is not being run by a "Hobby" FFL. A phone contact is also good to have should you need assistance with your order or have any questions.

Once you place your order, you should immediately receive and order acknowledgement. Check your credit card. Chances are, once your transaction is successful, your card will have been already charged.

A well run website will keep you informed of the status of your order. You should be able to check your order status on-line AND the website should provide you with tracking information once your order has shipped.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

E-stores I have used (except one specializing in milsurps, also a one man show) have all been great.
    And individuals have mostly been positive, too. Just one bad experience from an individual who obviously was stringing me along waiting to see if the other buyer came through.
    In the particular case I mentioned above it's an FFL also selling on GI. I'm guessing it's someone who cannot multi-task, or has too many things going on to handle any one all that well. I see it in a LGS. The owner has a great store, but concentrates more on his GB sales. I know firsthand he gets the guns out the day he has the funds. I've even seen him call up the UPS man and ask him to come back to the store for a pickup. But when people walk in he rarely gets up from behind his computer. I see them walk in carrying a firearm they obviously wanted to do something with, and walk back out. I guess everyone has their own way of conducting business.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links