Protecting your Photos

Protecting your Photos

This is a discussion on Protecting your Photos within the FFL Dealer Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So here is a question for your dealers who post online how many of you put your dealer card or some other way to watermark ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SIGP250

Thread: Protecting your Photos

Protecting your Photos

So here is a question for your dealers who post online how many of you put your dealer card or some other way to watermark the images in all your photos ?

I ask this as that is the hot scam on Armslist to steal photos from Dealers site and try to get you to wire them the money for the gun or such ...

I only spot some as scams as I look at gun-broker a lot ...

ARMSLIST - For Sale: Colt Light Carbine (AR-15) New In Box .223 AR15

see this one for what I mean . It is a scam as that is a dealer in TX but you can not see the card all that well and they got sloppy in this case and just copied and pasted the txt from the gun broker add others at least change the txt.... Plus no BB on rifle which is another sign at least for CA that or one banned by name .. But for non CA states and no watermark it can be tricky
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I recognize that card, Jackson Armory.

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    I recognize that card, Jackson Armory.
    If that's the case, you can be sure Jackson is asking 30% more for it than anyone else!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    So here is a question for your dealers who post online how many of you put your dealer card or some other way to watermark the images in all your photos ?

I ask this as that is the hot scam on Armslist to steal photos from Dealers site and try to get you to wire them the money for the gun or such ...

I only spot some as scams as I look at gun-broker a lot ...

ARMSLIST - For Sale: Colt Light Carbine (AR-15) New In Box .223 AR15

see this one for what I mean . It is a scam as that is a dealer in TX but you can not see the card all that well and they got sloppy in this case and just copied and pasted the txt from the gun broker add others at least change the txt.... Plus no BB on rifle which is another sign at least for CA that or one banned by name .. But for non CA states and no watermark it can be tricky
    Most of the major distributors we buy from supply us with stock photos of firearms they receive from manufactures. In fact, many times the manufactures even write the firearm descriptions. The photos are copyrighted material of the manufacture as is ANY original artwork. As dealers, we have the right to use the photos however, non-dealers who clip images from manufactures or dealer websites without their express permission are technically stealing intellectual property although the practice is common. Photo websites that furnish photos or art for magazines, website or other publications usually do watermark their images. Some will sell the images by subscription, one time use and or royalties for each use.

Some distributors will furnish their complete database with photos linked to model numbers. Other distributors do not publish their databases but make their websites available to dealers with accounts. Images, descriptions and specifications are often cloned from their websites.

SEO (search engine optimization) is an extremely important aspect of on-line firearm advertising. Google, Bing, Yahoo, Amazon and Facebook are for the most part anti-gun. Therefore. searches must be done organically. You either know the name of a gun shop you are looking for or you type in a keyword relevant to you search, such as Guns or Guns Supply, Gun Accessories. If you have optimized your website with correct meta keywords, your page rank will be higher. Images are also part of SEO, they must be optimized for thumbnail viewing as well as high resolution that can be viewed fast correctly with any user's browser choice. One common technique to improve page rank is to look an another website and "borrow" certain relevant keywords that your competition uses.
    ctr likes this.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Links